Twighlight years & managing a boat

Claret73

Featured Posts

Hi All

A strange one from my 2nd post, but something spinning in my head which I'd like to ask.

I'm looking at a Narrow boat as currently look to be priced out of an affordable home. (Although this is not my main drive to liveabord). I am only 40yrs of age at the moment, but am pondering many years along the line when I may not be able to manage to liveaboard a boat. With no other accommodation to fall back onto, just wondered what options would be available? & if anybody who has experienced this scenario, could offer their thoughts? I know it's probably the last question I need to be asking, due to not being able to plan beyond tomorrow most of the time but something of a consideration I can't shake from my thoughts.

Don't worry about getting old, I have met single handers in their 80's and continuously cruising (CCing)

Just a little aside you mention I'm looking at a Narrow boat as currently look to be priced out of an affordable home the only difference between an affordable home and a narrow boat is the purchase price.

You may well have done some research but do check out the running costs.

Edit: to add link for a discussion already in process. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=56931&hl=

Edited by bottle

Hi All

A strange one from my 2nd post, but something spinning in my head which I'd like to ask.

I'm looking at a Narrow boat as currently look to be priced out of an affordable home. (Although this is not my main drive to liveabord). I am only 40yrs of age at the moment, but am pondering many years along the line when I may not be able to manage to liveaboard a boat. With no other accommodation to fall back onto, just wondered what options would be available? & if anybody who has experienced this scenario, could offer their thoughts? I know it's probably the last question I need to be asking, due to not being able to plan beyond tomorrow most of the time but something of a consideration I can't shake from my thoughts.

Last year on my way to Ricky I shared some locks with a couple in their 80s who CC from March to October and then head back to base for the winter where they get their 'MOTs' as they put it - dentists, doctors and the like..... if you get into the life style I don't see any reason why you'd need to give up boating any sooner than giving up living in a house/flat.

I also seem to recall they said something about not starting boating until they were about 60

Don't worry about getting old, I have met single handers in their 80's and continuously cruising (CCing)

Last year on my way to Ricky I shared some locks with a couple in their 80s

Not a reliable statistic though. You haven't met the 80 year olds who can no longer boat because they are no longer boating

To the OP - you are overthinking this. You are only forty!

Richard

The way I see it is this, how hard a life is it living in a Marina with all services? Surely roughly as hard as living in a house? The other thing is heating, how many oap's cannot afford to heat their houses and are having to decide on heat or food? It wont happen on a boat, coats pence really to heat the boat.

To All...

I know I'm over thinking it! Thanks RLWP!...It was never going to put me off purchasing a boat. It was one of those niggling thoughts...I think I'll move my posts onto more important issues I'll need to address.

The way I see it is this, how hard a life is it living in a Marina with all services? Surely roughly as hard as living in a house? The other thing is heating, how many oap's cannot afford to heat their houses and are having to decide on heat or food? It wont happen on a boat, coats pence really to heat the boat.

Agreed, but I do worry about Marina costs, even the cheapest at around 2k eats into a meagre budget. Will a single pension with no other income cover that? (I don't know the average single pension since Im not there yet but I will go and google)

edit...checked, an average pension could be around £100 a week, which is £4800 a year, take out marina fees of 2k, licence and insurance say another 1k leaves £1800 for food and bills....heck!

Edited by Chagall

Re Pensions: It's a movable feast with the government's plans for a flat rate pension, but that will still raise the basic pension from £110 p/week for a single person to £144 at today's prices. At present, a couple gets £170 p/week, but that'll rise to £288 p/week if both partners have the right dates of birth to qualify. At present, many people on this forum have said that it's possible to get housing benefit, especially for pensioners(?), for marina costs, so as of 2016 (I think that's the date for the new State Pension scheme), a couple in their dottage could get £14976 per year. A single person would get half that.

It might not be all doom and gloom, and older age might be hard (it's hard wherever you might be on a low income), but living on the cut might not be impossible. And I do think that Hoose has a point about heating. I presently live in an old stone house in a frost pocket. It costs a packet to heat the place. If my missus and I do make it on to the cut, we'll be damned glad for the lower heating costs!!

Ta ra!

Agreed, but I do worry about Marina costs, even the cheapest at around 2k eats into a meagre budget. Will a single pension with no other income cover that? (I don't know the average single pension since Im not there yet but I will go and google)

and yet so many of the old dears manage to live in a house and get by despite it being just as expensive, if not more.

Hi All

The oldest single hander we have met is 75, his boat is currently up for sale as he his finally hanging up his fenders for good.

So by his measure you have 35 years all being well to plan for it.

His plan is to use the proceeds from his boat sale to by a static caravan on a well chosen park. yes he will have a service charge to cover but this is going to be less than his current mooring fees. The requirement to be off the park 2 weeks a year will be covered by a stay with relatives.

May not suit everyone but it sounds like a plan to me.

If your too ill to manage life on a boat then you are too ill to live in a house let alone a flat. Stop worrying in reality you will cope at least as easily on a boat as in a house.

Tim

Oh really ?

Maybe if you are young and fit, and can gather wood and store it as most of what you burn.

Hardly true if you have to buy in your fuel though is it?

As has been suggested, though, marina possibly at least £2,000 per annum, and double that at least in higher demand areas in the South East.

I'm 46. You're 40. As long as I'm still boating, you'll be confident it's still doable. If I get too old, I'll let you know, and you'll have 6yrs to plan your next move.

I'm right behind you!...Ha! Ha!...

and yet so many of the old dears manage to live in a house and get by despite it being just as expensive, if not more.

Possibly because they now own their house, therefore being rent and mortgage free. With living in a marina (and paying CRT licence), there is always an element of what would be equivalent to 'rent'.

If your too ill to manage life on a boat then you are too ill to live in a house let alone a flat. Stop worrying in reality you will cope at least as easily on a boat as in a house.

Tim

I believe many councils will now spend quite considerable money adapting existing homes to allow older people with health and social care needs to remain in their home, eg stairlifts, grab rails, bath hoist, etc. I don't know if they'd do the same at a marina or boat.

I think you may need to be more concerned about the need to change your boat before you have to worry about needing to cease boating. Some boats will last for 35 years others may not. Buy an older (and possibly cheaper) boat now and you find yourself shelling out again for a replacement within twenty years.

I would question whether small quantities of fuel for a boat work out much cheaper than larger quantities of fuel for a house (assuming you have a loy more storage capacity in a house than you do on a boat). This presumes that there is a premium for buying the smaller amounts used by boaters. Forget the point if there isn't

That would come as a bit of a shock if you were going through Netherton tunnel!

I don't know so much! After hearing about bricks being dropped down those massive vent shafts, I always steer well to one side, and stand out on the gunwale, whenever I pass under one!

George ex nb Alton retired

I have a long standing friend who has lived on a boat for around 35 years he is 71 and still boats single handed although he won't thank me for saying so he's slowing down a bit. Still hand starts his JP2 and uses gas lighting.

I know people boating in their 90's I also know people who are existing on their boats in their 70's. if you can't walk living on a boat is a nightmare. If you are in a house you get help that isn't available to a boater.