Weighing In Old Leisure Batteries

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

And..they carefully disposed of the dangerous acid before removing the lead plates...?

Naaaah i doubt it. They probably took them to the scrappy and got a hundred or so quid and good look to em, I couldnt be arsed.

Tim

Hi Alan,

I take my old batteries up to Evan's scrap yard, Chesham Rd Wigginton.

Not sure of prices at the moment.

Mike

Sounded promising, but they have just told me that on small quantities they only pay the "iron price" of £110 per ton.

So not worth it, it seems, at least at that particular place!

Sounded promising, but they have just told me that on small quantities they only pay the "iron price" of £110 per ton.

I suspect they cannot be bothered - but looking at the reports of all the other posters on this thread - taking yer batteries to a scrappy would appear to be the very best thing that one can do

it is worth doing that,rather than leave them on deck...

i've twice had batteries 'lifted' they were nackered but worth a bit for scrap. it was another boater I know in one instance and probably both but neither was with my permission...

Tend to agree, but by the time fuel costs have been added in, is it worth travelling further?.

I don't like moving batteries about, you brush the case on your clothes and next thing said clothes develop holes, and the same applies to boot interiors.

I'm happy to get rid of them.

L.

pure bolllards, go somewhere else.

One good thing about the high scrap metal prices is everything is getting recycled now, i'm even pulling batteries out of the towpath hedge, and everywhere is getting cleaned up of junk, even the cable cluttering up railway tracks !

sadly industrial bins and skips are all getting locked now, skip diving opportunities are drying up.

The scrappy I take batteries to pays a good rate and says they ship them to China to be used for whatever, probably melting the Lead down to make extra heavy Coolie-hats to help depress and suppress the population, or to make special poisonous cooking Woks to flog to their enemies. closedeyes.gif