What's on your roof

Detling

Featured Posts

A problem with Babylon boats is the reluctance of their steerers to move out of the channel if that means approaching offside overhanging vegetation. Regards, HughC.

Uhm, what's a Babylon boat? I have no problem moving over when someone is coming

As Madcat says, 'as little as possible!'.

I can fully understand continuous cruisers having to store coal etc., on their roof but some boaters do defy the rules of naval architecture in placing all manner of stuff up there. It's acting as a counter balance for their ballast and hopefully they don't navigate any tidal crossings loaded up as such.

On our first boat, a forty footer, Mrs Doorman used to have loads of flower pots and couldrens filled with lovely flowers and pouches (is that how you spell them), also filled with flowers hanging from the handrails. The problem was that she's partially heighted at 5 foot nothing and I had to make a box for her to see above her roof garden when cruising. Oh, and the other problem was the giant rust rings from the base of the pots.

2 Planks, pole, boat hook, fenders in gutter when we are moving. Centre line neatly laid down the roof to be available to the steerer when needed. (Nerver coiled in the centre of the roof, and certainly not dropped there in a mess.)

Occasionally tea pot and mugs stc, and even cake plates. (Where are the cake eating and tea drinking smilies!!!)

What's never on our roof when under way is people!!! (And rarely when not under way.)

Sue

What about the bottles?

As I traverse the canal system I see many boats which seem to be defying all naval architecture rules by staying the right way up, despite having everything from coal heaps to gardens on their roof. I am boring I only have a plank a boat hook and a long shaft, occasionally a Nicholson's guide before it gets blown into the cut. I was wondering who has the most useful/junk on their roof.

Except in extreme cases, the potential overturning moment is perhaps debateable. However, a far more possible risk is that of blocking or restricting the roof ventilation. Does anyone coil the ropes around the mushroom vents on their roof?

www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/carbon-monoxide-(co)/preventing-co

Some people seem to regard the quantity of coal and logs on the roof as some sort of "badge of honour" that marks them out as proper boaters. Personally I like to keep the roof clear so that I can use it more easily in the locks.

quite agree, he is never going to keep his satellite signal going whilst moving up the river.

He should move to the Fossdyke/Witham. We managed to keep our satellite signal going for over 15 minutes up the river after leaving Boston.

Hi all

It's a personal thing , but I can't bear to have a cluttered roof. The gangplank and long shaft sit forward, towards the stern are a couple of water cans forward of the chimney, they support the mop handle and rear of the 8 foot short shaft. The rear line is coiled and set on the slide, which forms a handy mat for windlasses. Oh, and centre line coiled too, close to the anchor point, offset to the towpath side. The anorak lives in an inside wardrobe and can also be found on the footboard steering ( not driving!) the boat.!!!!

Cheers

Dave

That sounds very cluttered to me!!

We have an escape hatch. Nothing else.

Hate clutter!

DSCF2166.jpg

Probably way to much stuff biggrin.png

A couple of young great nieces for snacking on .... wub.png

banbury080_zps01878f53.jpg

A ridiculous amount of foliage to completely obscure my view .....cool.png

coventryetc020_zps6051c8a7.jpg

But by far the most useful addition last year 200w of solar ..... and lots of "badge of honour" wood laugh.png

september2012075_zpsb757d599.jpg

cheers.gif

Ilike to have a little garden to keep me busy complete with fountain and willow sculptures

DSCF2440.jpgIMG_0089.jpg

Although I have had more plants with its own watering system

My god!

I am definitely not letting Mrs Doorman see this.

Gang Plank

Hook

Pole

Mop

Folding chair

Hose & reel

Coal

Some rubber mats

Halfords roof box

2 ropes

TV aerial & pole

Bike

and 2 36"x12" wooden plant boxes.

I keep telling myself that I hate clutter, but I clearly don't. Trying to work out where to squeeze in a solar panel or two now.