Host Migration

DHutch

Featured Posts

We are moving to a new server on Monday in the late evening.

As many of our members will know since our current host upgraded the software on there servers they have been closely monitoring our resource usage and throttling access to the site. For those who have not witnessed the 'internal server error' notices, you are the lucky one.

For the past week I have been looking into alternative solutions that will provide the resource and reliability we have come to expect at a reasonable cost and can now announce a plan for our move has been put in place.

The move is scheduled to take place late on Monday 11th March from 23.30 onwards. With the anticipation of the site being fully up and running on the new server by the middle of Tuesday morning if not before, although it may take up to 24h for some name servers to catch up with the new location during which you may see a forwarding page.

Myself and the site staff thank you all for your patience.

Daniel

CWDF Site Owner

Dan,

Are you comfortable with the reports of 2000 plus guest connections on occasions, please?

Have efforts been made to prove it is nothing sinister? (I'm sure you probably have, but just asking).

It would be a shame to be paying for a lot of capacity, if some of it were being used as a result of deliberate attacks aimed to bring down the site, (obviously! :lol:)

Alan

Dan,

Are you comfortable with the reports of 2000 plus guest connections on occasions, please?

Have efforts been made to prove it is nothing sinister? (I'm sure you probably have, but just asking).

It would be a shame to be paying for a lot of capacity, if some of it were being used as a result of deliberate attacks aimed to bring down the site, (obviously! :lol:)

Alan

Alan, thank you for your concern. As I have posted in the other thread as far as we are aware it is not in any way deliberate attack or anything to be worried about, although I am still looking into the issue.

In terms of paying for capacity we have been very lucky to grow to the size we are while still hosting the site on a shared packaged and for such a reasonably price. While in continued to provide the resource required I saw no need to move, however now this is no longer the case, the vps package we are moving to is far better spec'ed for our needs and still very affordable given other options.

Daniel

Dan, you are a star for getting it all sorted out.

Can I please ask, cost is a deciding factor and I suspect the larger capacity comes with a larger price tag as well. How is the balance book looking, I know Cloggy & Auntie Fab were suggesting a tin be rattled among the banterers that are congregating at Gnosall over Easter to see what shrapnell they can relieve people of to send in the direction of the forum coffers.

Do we need a bucket rather than a tin to rattle?

Edited to add, I just read the other thread - the Paypal button is a good idea.

Edited by cheshire~rose
  • Greenie 1

Dan, you are a star for getting it all sorted out.

Can I please ask, cost is a deciding factor and I suspect the larger capacity comes with a larger price tag as well. How is the balance book looking, I know Cloggy & Auntie Fab were suggesting a tin be rattled among the banterers that are congregating at Gnosall over Easter to see what shrapnell they can relieve people of to send in the direction of the forum coffers.

Do we need a bucket rather than a tin to rattle?

Edited to add, I just read the other thread - the Paypal button is a good idea.

I don't go to banters but did send some ash to the last appeal, so an someone please point me to the Paypal thread so I can send some more?

I find this forum a great resource and would hate to lose it.

I don't go to banters but did send some ash to the last appeal, so an someone please point me to the Paypal thread so I can send some more?

I find this forum a great resource and would hate to lose it.

Ash D.C !!!!!!! I reckon Daniel has enough ash and would rather prefer a bag of coal for his boats steam engine. :unsure:

Edited by bizzard

someone has stolen Bizzards crumb, and given it to Ditchcrawler

I pressed hard on the P key to get it working again and it crunched like when you accidentally treading on a snail. Others crunch a bit too, its those Beanut covered biscuit crumbs that do it. I'm taking all the keys out later this evening to sweep under them, Os E myt jit tham pakc en tha uronj blesaes. I'm used to dealing with the keys, my cat regularly sits on my key board pulling them out with his kneading claws, I find em on the floor sometimes. :mellow:

es, I have had the vacuum cleaner out, but will have to give it another go. No where do I send the money too?

It's not sorted yet.

I made reference to the fact other forums have a donate via. PayPal button in the other thread and Daniel indicated he was already in the process of setting up a PayPal account to facilitate this...

Of course if he posts up the account address donations will still be able to be made even before we get a button on the forum..

It's not sorted yet.

I made reference to the fact other forums have a donate via. PayPal button in the other thread and Daniel indicated he was already in the process of setting up a PayPal account to facilitate this...

Of course if he posts up the account address donations will still be able to be made even before we get a button on the forum..

Last time I just sent a brown envelope to someone.

The blunt of it is the cost has jumped from 7.50 to more like 25 a month, but equally for now we've got money in the kitty to cover it for a few months yet!

Well don't be shy in letting us know if reserves are getting low, I for one will happily bung another tenner your way.

Extremely frustratingly due to unforeseen issues we have not been migrated onto our new servers. However, to maintain access, I have turned the board back on in its current location until I am able to revisit this issue this evening.

Thankyou for your patience.

Daniel

Extremely frustratingly due to unforeseen issues we have not been migrated onto our new servers. However, to maintain access, I have turned the board back on in its current location until I am able to revisit this issue this evening.

Thankyou for your patience.

Daniel

Good luck for tonight.

Curiously, whilst people seemed to have connectivity up till 11:30 last night, I was getting 503 responses from around 3:30 yesterday.