Moor Alongside

RickH

Featured Posts

My goodness I think that some do protest to much.

There are two types of people that own unconverted working boats.

1 those that dont look down their noses at noddy boaters

2 those that do look down their noses at noddy boaters.

I guess if you fall into the first category then its not a problem.

If you are in the second then.........

Its exactly the same percievied relationship some private boaters have with hire boaters

And on real water raggies have with stinkies.

:smiley_offtopic: Now there is a woman who can handle a boat :smiley_offtopic:

And a bag or three of house coal!

We helped them off-load 20 bags of coal into the bunker of our friend's house using wheelbarrows in relays. John's wife (senior moment prevents me from recalling her name) would 'pass' about six bags up to John then out of deference to my slighter stature, give me three to play with.

They are tough cookies the two of them and no matter whether they get a kick from working their boat, or some sense of maintaining a tradition, they have our total admiration. As do Brian & Anne Marie of nb Alton.

We also have friends whom operate a cheese boat, which incidentally is electrically powered, and their chosen lifestyle may not make them into millionaires, but they are far happier doing this and being relatively free to travel as and when than many a top executive counting his 'well earned' bonus.

Mike

My goodness I think that some do protest to much.

There are two types of people that own unconverted working boats.

1 those that dont look down their noses at noddy boaters

2 those that do look down their noses at noddy boaters.

There are two types attitude that people who thatdon't own unconverted working boats can have about those who do.

1 those that tar us all with the same brush, based possibly on little more than one or two bad experiences

2 those that accept that the vast majority of us are just boaters with a fascination for a particular bit of the past, but that we don't actually want to look down our noses at anybody

(As I'm lucky enough to own both types, I can even look down upon myself, if that's what I choose to do)

There are two types attitude that people who thatdon't own unconverted working boats can have about those who do.

1 those that tar us all with the same brush, based possibly on little more than one or two bad experiences

2 those that accept that the vast majority of us are just boaters with a fascination for a particular bit of the past, but that we don't actually want to look down our noses at anybody

(As I'm lucky enough to own both types, I can even look down upon myself, if that's what I choose to do)

I can just imagine you doing the two Ronny's sketch by your self. I look up to me and I look down to me, I know my place :blush:

Edited by ditchcrawler

Its not about getting over it, its about, with my limited exposure to such people, finding that 100% (of the two of them) display undesirable behaviour.

You keep letting us know you have 45 years experience of the canals and boating........I am struggling to balance this with the above comment.

Does this mean you have only met two in all those years, surely you havn't just been cruising round your marinas in all that time?

I can just imagine you doing the two Ronny's sketch by your self. I look up to me and I look down to me, I know my place :blush:

There was actually a cartoon video spoof of that posted once, wasn't there - something along the lines of "I've got a replica work boat, and I look down on him because..."

Nobody seemed to find it that amusing though, so perhaps I'll not bother to dig it out again.

Nick seemed very reasonable when I met him, but does seem to like to get off on these near (?) trolling sessions on occasions. I suppose we are the fools for rising to them!

I can't quite relate to those who pay a lot of money to have a boat festooned in fake rivets, only to seem to want to have it in for boats where they are real, and actually holding those boats together.

Is it some kind of "rivet envy" that kicks in from time to time, I wonder? :rolleyes:

We also have friends whom operate a cheese boat, which incidentally is electrically powered, and their chosen lifestyle may not make them into millionaires, but they are far happier doing this and being relatively free to travel as and when than many a top executive counting his 'well earned' bonus.

Mike

"A man may be very industrious, and yet not spend his time well. There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of life getting his living". -Henry David Thoreau

surely you havn't just been cruising round your marinas in all that time?

Unfortunately we spent years with the rudder jammed hard over, so the boat would only go round in circles... It was fun though, because you got a constantly changing aspect, like a revolving restaurant only quicker.

You keep letting us know you have 45 years experience of the canals and boating

To clarify, I started boating when I was about 10, I am now 56. As a schoolkid I went out on my mate's dad's boats quite a few times per year, and then did some long trips (one up to Ripon I recall) as a teenager. Then my family took to boating holidays once a year until I went to Uni. Then a break until about 20 years ago when we "rediscovered" it and managed to borrow same friends now new narrowboat for 2 weeks/year every year. Then a couple of years ago we bought our own boat. That's the potted history!

In that time I think I have met two people with historic working boats who carry on as though they are still carrying commercially (not operating coal boats). Met as in engaged in conversation (or tried to) not just passed in the opposite direction. And both were aloof, unfriendly and generally up themselves. Perhaps you have met lots more people in that category, after all you do live aboard and CC, but I haven't. Maybe I have just led a sheltered life!

For the record I have also met/engaged in conversation a few coal boat operators and always found them to be perfect gentlemen/ladies.

Nick seemed very reasonable when I met him, but does seem to like to get off on these near (?) trolling sessions on occasions. I suppose we are the fools for rising to them!

I can't quite relate to those who pay a lot of money to have a boat festooned in fake rivets, only to seem to want to have it in for boats where they are real, and actually holding those boats together.

Is it some kind of "rivet envy" that kicks in from time to time, I wonder? :rolleyes:

Not trolling intentionally, but I do feel people are reading what they want to see into my posts, as opposed to what I am actually saying. The forum is a bit quiet at the moment, perhaps I am the target to be baited to liven things up a bit?

I have nothing against boats actually held together by rivets (why should I have?) though I don't want one. I just have something against people who are up themselves and put others down (bearing in mind where all this started). Is that finally clear now?

Edited by nicknorman

It has been an evolutionary thing, Nick.

Regular long distance narrow boat contracts finished over 40 years ago, (unless you count the deliveries of pulp to Roses Lime Juice that carried on into the 1970s - to some extent seasonal, I think, and not so many miles).

But in the 1970s people like my brothers were still loading house coal in bulk, often by going up to the coal fields, which was brought south for retail sales. They were weighing, bagging and delivering it to localities. OK it was an "as needed" traffic, and the end user was not industrial.

Nowadays people probably don't want to buy house coal bagged into old open fertiliser sacks, (assuming it is even legal to bag it on board?), and there is far less demand for solid fuels in private houses, so it has developed mostly into loading bagged coal, and much of the custom is now boats, although canal-side properties are served too.

In many cases the boats are making long journey's to load in the first place, and there is often still a long haul element involved.

If you think about it, hand loading bagged coal onto a boat is actually far harder work than having it shot in loose out of a lorry, or indeed having it scooped out the other end by a grab. I reckon many of the current coal boat proprietors work just as hard as their predecessors who only had to concentrate on making the trip. Plus they now have to stay out of trouble with deeply loaded boats on canals where there are far more boats than there ever were in the heyday of working boats. Plus many of them regularly work single handed, and through ice and snow.

It is genuinely unfair to suggest that they are doing anything that is less a commercial business than many who worked on the long distance carrying fleets. There may have been a change in the last 40 years, and the nature of the businesses have evolved, but IMO many of them are just as much boatmen/boatwomen.

And of course, equally, there are people like me, for whom it is a much loved expensive hobby - I think many owners of old boats are happy to admit that that is all it amounts to - it doesn't stop me standing in awe of those who trade in the harshest weathers, and manage not to maim themselves - I wouldn't last long - I know that!

EDITED TO ADD: I think perhaps I'm being a bit more patient than Luctor, but I can certainly understand his frustration!

Totally agree , I deal with Heart of Gold and the local Coal/Diesel boat and when I text or call they work hard to get to me , even in weather I don't really want to step outside my nice warm boat in . We have an image of the tough bargee rushing down to London with his load of coal and classing him as a "real working man " but the working boats of today have far more to contend with , more boats than ever on the canals plus the inexpierianced renters , the locks are the same , the swing and lifting bridges as well apart from the occassional powered bridge , the work is the same . I for one appreciate their hard work .

Actually I think this is a fare point. Lots of us who have been on the system know who you are and also several personalities on here without them doing an introduction, but people who have only been involved in the waterways for a short time don't know who or what these people are, likewise with places, maffers for one.

I probably haven't put that very well but I am trying to say give those who are not so knowledgeable a bit of slack.

What on earth is a "Maffers"?

Oh how odd!

Clear as mud!

Up until recently Maffers was a name that was used by people on the canal to refer to the village of Marsworh.

In the same way that Berko is used to refer to the town of Berkhamsted.

Clear enough?

Edited by Loddon

Not trolling intentionally, but I do feel people are reading what they want to see into my posts, as opposed to what I am actually saying. The forum is a bit quiet at the moment, perhaps I am the target to be baited to liven things up a bit?

And I just thought you had been on the Whiskey :cheers:

Up until recently Maffers was a name that was used by people on the canal to refer to the village of Marsworh.

In the same way that Berko is used to refer to the town of Berkhamsted.

Clear enough?

Going :smiley_offtopic: but in a similar vein Hawksbury Junction = Sutton Stop. Named after a lock keeper.

Totally agree , I deal with Heart of Gold and the local Coal/Diesel boat and when I text or call they work hard to get to me , even in weather I don't really want to step outside my nice warm boat in . We have an image of the tough bargee rushing down to London with his load of coal and classing him as a "real working man " but the working boats of today have far more to contend with , more boats than ever on the canals plus the inexpierianced renters , the locks are the same , the swing and lifting bridges as well apart from the occassional powered bridge , the work is the same . I for one appreciate their hard work .

And not forgetting the in experience of a lot of people who own their own boats.

Personally I don't believe there is any difference between years ago and now, only thing that as changed is who owns the economic wealth that was generated by the waterways. Surely no one believes that the single owner coal boats of today would not be squeezed out by companies if there was more money to be had on the cut.

Also don't you think the No1 of the past would have been grateful of the "short coal run" to bolster their income, or even men working for the large carrying companies would request this type of run when family needs dictated, illness, child birth etc.

hopefully there will always be working people on boats and, boats that enable them to do so, new or old.

Lets hope their numbers grow and the economic need for more canals is realised.

David

Or whisky ... (Considering your location :cheers: )

Iain

Oops, well there you go, I am not a connoisseur! Apart from actually being English, I met the same fate as so many young Scots - getting drunk to the point of near death on whisky aged early 20s. And then, NEVER AGAIN! Neat whisky can be drunk like water (but without water of course!) and nothing much happens (because its not absorbed easily). Then a bottle or so later, it starts to hit you and next day you just want to die!

G&T by contrast hits you straight away, you get pleasantly tiddly and then sober up fairly quickly with no hangover! Result!