Moor Alongside

RickH

Featured Posts

I believe it was traditional to cross over via the back deck, eyes averted.

That's what I always heard too.

One problem is my stupid dog always misjudges the distance and falls between the boats (he can jump straight upwards or straight along but can't work out how to combine the two)

At the Stourbridge rally last year I asked if I could pass over the back deck of a working narrowboat. The owner replied quite sharply that I should pass over the boat on a plank forward of the cabin because it was her home. She seemed quite put out that I would think of asking to cross the back deck.

I felt like I had been proper put in my place

At the Stourbridge rally last year I asked if I could pass over the back deck of a working narrowboat. The owner replied quite sharply that I should pass over the boat on a plank forward of the cabin because it was her home. She seemed quite put out that I would think of asking to cross the back deck.

With a (ex)working boat you should always pass over the back end plank unless it is clothed up. Note the back end plank is at the front of the engine room (the back end of the hold) not the stern.

If the hold is clothed up or the planks are raised, then you will have to use the counter (as mentioned above, after asking, and with averted gaze).

George ex nb Alton retired

When you say "working narrowboat" I presume you mean a boat whose owner fancies the idea of it being a working boat as it gives them a sense of superiority. You hadnt been put in your place, they had demonstrated that they were a tosser! (Or whatever is the female equivalent).

With a (ex)working boat you should always pass over the back end plank unless it is clothed up.

Why?

Edited by nicknorman

When you say "working narrowboat" I presume you mean a boat whose owner fancies the idea of it being a working boat as it gives them a sense of superiority. You hadnt been put in your place, they had demonstrated that they were a tosser! (Or whatever is the female equivalent).

gusset typist

And i'd agree with your assessment. Bazza asked before crossing so there's no need to be tetchy. She should have been pleased that he was polite & respectful of her privacy

And i'd agree with your assessment. Bazza asked before crossing so there's no need to be tetchy. She should have been pleased that he was polite & respectful of her privacy

I once witnessed a certain coal boat owner (who shall remain nameless) refuse to sell to a customer because, after breasting up (perfectly acceptable) he stepped on to the trader's back deck before being invited.

He flatly refused to serve him and sent him on his way.

I once witnessed a certain coal boat owner (who shall remain nameless) refuse to sell to a customer because, after breasting up (perfectly acceptable) he stepped on to the trader's back deck before being invited.

Another tosser! What is it with these people? Why are they so insecure?

Mind you, the French are a bit like that - you get to go into a restaurant as a favour from the proprietor if you grovel suitably. Of course French cuisine is tastier than a bag of coal, so maybe that's fair enough.

nose face eh.

It does seem that some people are just waiting for a chance to get all offended sometimes.

Actually the whole respecting privacy thing is a big liveaboard/leisure difference i think. I always do the 'livaboard lookaway' and instruct my friends to as well when they visit

Actually the whole respecting privacy thing is a big liveaboard/leisure difference i think. I always do the 'livaboard lookaway' and instruct my friends to as well when they visit

Yes that's fair enough, its obviously rude to peer into the back door. But not to step on the "wrong bit" (allegedly)and get a bollocking just because its a historic boat.

Mind you, the French are a bit like that - you get to go into a restaurant as a favour from the proprietor if you grovel suitably. Of course French cuisine is tastier than a bag of coal, so maybe that's fair enough.

In defense of the French, having spent five years living there, their behaviour (particularly in Paris) is an act that is expected of them by tourists.

As soon as it is established that you don't want the performance they are far more hospitable.

Yes that's fair enough, its obviously rude to peer into the back door. But not to step on the "wrong bit" (allegedly)and get a bollocking just because its a historic boat.

indeed. We are in agreement.

You (or perhaps your OH) did the livaboard lookaway when you passed me (Shroppie Bridge 47 sept 2011 - i have a very good memory) i was impressed considering how shiny your boat was

indeed. We are in agreement.

You (or perhaps your OH) did the livaboard lookaway when you passed me (Shroppie Bridge 47 sept 2011 - i have a very good memory) i was impressed considering how shiny your boat was

Wow good memory! That must have been our trip up to Chester and yes the boat was 6 months old so very shiny! I am the tall one with some vestige of hair, Jeff is shorter with shaven head and beard (or head on upside down as I tell him) though he might not have had the beard then.

Wow good memory! That must have been our trip up to Chester and yes the boat was 6 months old so very shiny! I am the tall one with some vestige of hair, Jeff is shorter with shaven head and beard (or head on upside down as I tell him) though he might not have had the beard then.

That would have been you then. I have just checked the log & it was in fact Aug26 or 27th. I was sitting my the hatch working & just looked up in time to see you go past & recognised your forum icon.

I like Br47 - the light is lovely there & its often empty for some reason

eta: next time i see you I'll holler out

Edited by LoneWolf

Agree with this 100%. My boat is my home too but folks are welcome to cross any part of it they wish. Eyes averted is good because we're not the tidiest people around - we need at least a day's notice to receive visitors :D

Having been a sailor it is a big no no to step on someones boat without permission , and now as a narrow boat owner and liveaboard I would find it somewhat rude if someone decided just to walk over my deck whether it be fore or aft without at least asking . The fact is if I'm on my boat I'll see / feel a boat close alongside and will usually stick my head up or look through the window to see what's going on , so there shouldn't really be any surprises . I think it also depends who is stepping aboard , a boat having problems is a big difference to a group of kids in a hire boat having a laugh .

We had a nice little 'mini historic boat gathering' earlier, when Chris showed up to take water at the water point. Of course, I offered assistence if needed, and Chris asked if the motor could be breasted next to my boat, whilst the butty filled the tank. He even asked if he could step on my boat. It is about courtesy.

It was nice to see a couple of old working boats together, there are quite a few old boats around here.

Because to do so is polite. Unlike modern boats, an (ex)working boater does everything in a back cabin with open doors to give air and light. This could include being in a state of undress etc.

There are plenty of modern boats with reverse layout, so no difference between that and a back cabin except the degree to which the owner is up him/herself. As we have said,of course one should avert one's gaze when passing

Having been a sailor it is a big no no to step on someones boat without permission , and now as a narrow boat owner and liveaboard I would find it somewhat rude if someone decided just to walk over my deck whether it be fore or aft without at least asking . The fact is if I'm on my boat I'll see / feel a boat close alongside and will usually stick my head up or look through the window to see what's going on , so there shouldn't really be any surprises . I think it also depends who is stepping aboard , a boat having problems is a big difference to a group of kids in a hire boat having a laugh .

Yes, but the original point was that he got a bollocking for just asking, not for doing it unannounced. I agree that of course one should ask before stepping onto someone's boat, although ultimately if breasted up for a long time, I'm not sure it's necessary, desirable or practical to ask before each crossing. After all, if you are happy to have a boat breasted up alongside you but unhappy for them to get on and off their boat, that seems a bit daft.

We had a nice little 'mini historic boat gathering' earlier, when Chris showed up to take water at the water point. Of course, I offered assistence if needed, and Chris asked if the motor could be breasted next to my boat, whilst the butty filled the tank. He even asked if he could step on my boat. It is about courtesy.

It was nice to see a couple of old working boats together, there are quite a few old boats around here.

No problem with courtesy of course - it's what makes the world go round. But to give a bollocking for asking is highly discourteous.

Edited by nicknorman

Agree with this 100%. My boat is my home too but folks are welcome to cross any part of it they wish. Eyes averted is good because we're not the tidiest people around - we need at least a day's notice to receive visitors :D

I never judge people by the tidiness of their boat, it is the people that are important and you prove the point.

:cheers:

There are plenty of modern boats with reverse layout, so no difference between that and a back cabin except the degree to which the owner is up him/herself. As we have said,of course one should avert one's gaze when passing

I have simply pointed out what is the polite thing to do where there is an easy way of passing over a boat without using the counter. Now that you know what that is, if you choose to do otherwise 95% of (ex)working boat owners will simply shrug and book you down as another person ignorant of traditional courtesy.

I have simply pointed out what is the polite thing to do where there is an easy way of passing over a boat without using the counter. Now that you know what that is, if you choose to do otherwise 95% of (ex)working boat owners will simply shrug and book you down as another person ignorant of traditional courtesy.

I suppose its because these boats are typically owned by people who have never actually worked a boat, but by buying into a bit of history think they can act in an aloof and superior way, that gets my goat. Before the flaming starts, that is of course only true of some not all such owners.

Edited by nicknorman

I suppose its because these boats are typically owned by people who have never actually worked a boat, but by buying into a bit of history think they can act in an aloof and superior way, that gets my goat. Before the flaming starts, that is of course only true of some not all such owners.

I am so glad you are not displaying a stereotypical prejudice!

I am so glad you are not displaying a stereotypical prejudice!

No, trying to avoid stereotyping, but just recalling my interactions with a few wannabe "working boatmen" who I have found universally aloof and superior!

Edited by nicknorman