Moor Alongside

RickH

Featured Posts

No, trying to avoid stereotyping, but just recalling my interactions with a few wannabe "working boatmen" who I have found universally aloof and superior!

So you have found ALL such owners to be aloof and superior despite your comment that the description did not apply to all.

In spite of working Alton for some years, I too have to admit that description applies to some owners. However, a lot of this "aloofness" is down to steerers concentrating hard to avoid grounding when passing other boats, who sometimes do not realise that the channel is often narrower than the combined width of two deep boats.

George ex nb Alton retired

I might like to add a distinction between working boats, which still work, and ex working boats, which have been converted. The former are home to working boaters, the later are not.

The number of narrow boats still working regularly can be counted on the fingers of two hands. Many others are kept in original condition to show, or have extended cabins or even full length conversions, some of which are home to ex working boaters. Better just to enjoy the boats and let the skill, or otherwise, of the handler speak for itself:-)

So you have found ALL such owners to be aloof and superior despite your comment that the description did not apply to all.

In spite of working Alton for some years, I too have to admit that description applies to some owners. However, a lot of this "aloofness" is down to steerers concentrating hard to avoid grounding when passing other boats, who sometimes do not realise that the channel is often narrower than the combined width of two deep boats.

Well I have met two, and both meet my description, so all in my experience, but that is hardly a large sample! I am talking about meeting them when they are tied up, not when passing on the water. The story as recounted by Bazza tends to support my prejudice!

There are working boats that still work. However many of the unconverted ex working boats that are still about are no more than Big Boys toys and haven't done a days work in years.

Working narrowboats? Not many, unless you count coal boats. But quite a few wannabes

Edited by nicknorman

Working narrowboats? Not many, unless you count coal boats. But quite a few wannabes

I do count most coal boats especially those that have no other income but the boat.

Oh and a deep drafted boat aint that hard to handle unless you dont know what you are doing.

I do count most coal boats especially those that have no other income but the boat.

Oh and a deep drafted boat aint that hard to handle unless you dont know what you are doing.

I see a big difference between a coal boat and a "real" traditional working boat business. The difference is like comparing an ice cream van with a long distance lorry. The former potters around and sells to passers by. The latter has to transport a big load over a long distance to a tight schedule. If a coal boat counts as a working boat, why not a liveaboard who "works from home" on a laptop?

I see a big difference between a coal boat and a "real" traditional working boat business. The difference is like comparing an ice cream van with a long distance lorry. The former potters around and sells to passers by. The latter has to transport a big load over a long distance to a tight schedule. If a coal boat counts as a working boat, why not a liveaboard who "works from home" on a laptop?

Now your ignorance really is showing.

• Greenie 1

I see a big difference between a coal boat and a "real" traditional working boat business. The difference is like comparing an ice cream van with a long distance lorry.

Interesting comparisons.

I've helped load a coal boat (once, never again) and also had a part time job in a Mr Softee van (best summer job ever).

I'd say the only similarities are that you get to work outdoors.

Because driving a laptop has nothing to do with a boat

Interesting comparisons.

I've helped load a coal boat (once, never again) and also had a part time job in a Mr Softee van (best summer job ever).

I'd say the only similarities are that you get to work outdoors.

Thanks for that......and loading is the easy bit. The double handling of the lower layers onto the roof of a customers boat can get interesting at the end of a 14 hour day.

Now your ignorance really is showing.

I take it then, that you ran a coal boat?

Because driving a laptop has nothing to do with a boat

Ah so your definition is that the boat must be used for transport, not just as a working space. A reasonable definition, though not the only one.

The clue is in my signature line which I maintain so my old customers recognise who is posting:-)

But I have never been your customer so I don't recognise it. Do you think it perhaps a little arrogant of you to expect me to know what your business was?

But I have never been your customer so I don't recognise it. Do you think it perhaps a little arrogant of you to expect me to know what your business was?

Actually I think this is a fare point. Lots of us who have been on the system know who you are and also several personalities on here without them doing an introduction, but people who have only been involved in the waterways for a short time don't know who or what these people are, likewise with places, maffers for one.

I probably haven't put that very well but I am trying to say give those who are not so knowledgeable a bit of slack.

Actually I think this is a fare point. Lots of us who have been on the system know who you are and also several personalities on here without them doing an introduction, but people who have only been involved in the waterways for a short time don't know who or what these people are, likewise with places, maffers for one.

I probably haven't put that very well but I am trying to say give those who are not so knowledgeable a bit of slack.

I have been involved with the waterways for 45 years or so, but only been up the mac/peak forest once, back in about 1974. Therefore it seems reasonable that I wouldn't know what Alton did, although I have now of course looked it up! We plan to do the PF again in a couple of weeks - hoping for less snow!

I am sorry if I came over as arrogant but reading back through the thread perhaps you should take the beam from your own eye.

Single word comments such as "Why?" when I politely explain traditional conventions, and your ludicrous comparison of working a coal boat to an ice cream van hardly point you out as Mr Modesty.

I have been involved with the waterways for 45 years or so, but only been up the mac/peak forest once, back in about 1974. Therefore it seems reasonable that I wouldn't know what Alton did, although I have now of course looked it up! We plan to do the PF again in a couple of weeks - hoping for less snow!

Then I hope you will arrive with empty tanks and coal lockers to support Brian and Ann-Marie who now run Alton:-)

ps snowing at the moment!

I am sorry if I came over as arrogant but reading back through the thread perhaps you should take the beam from your own eye.

Single word comments such as "Why?" when I politely explain traditional conventions, and your ludicrous comparison of working a coal boat to an ice cream van hardly point you out as Mr Modesty.

Then I hope you will arrive with empty tanks and coal lockers to support Brian and Ann-Marie who now run Alton:-)

ps snowing at the moment!

Lets not fall out over it. I didn't suggest that working a coal boat was like working an ice cream van. I suggested that working a coal boat was different from the role of a working narrowboat of yesteryear (before leisure boating) in the same way that an ice cream van is different from a lorry. Not the same thing as saying you were an ice cream van driver, and anyway you didn't have a chime!

And for the record, none of the (2) coal boat operators I have met on the towpath have been other than gentlemanly - my earlier comments weren't referring to that category

Edited by nicknorman

Lets not fall out over it. I didn't suggest that working a coal boat was like working an ice cream van. I suggested that working a coal boat was different from the role of a working narrowboat of yesteryear (before leisure boating) in the same way that an ice cream van is different from a lorry. Not the same thing as saying you were an ice cream van driver, and anyway you didn't have a chime!

And for the record, none of the (2) coal boat operators I have met on the towpath have been other than gentlemanly - my earlier comments weren't referring to that category

Thanks for that. Off to Ellesmere Port soon so I may miss you up here. I may not have had chimes but Brian on Alton has a handbell to announce his arrival so there is no sleeping in allowed:-)