Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I didn't notice it had knuckle crackers. 

Must have been a whim of whoever put the steel on the top. 

I know some people like them. I'm not a fan. 

best boat and you havnt even looked at the detail !!!!!!!!! ha ha ha

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Vesta is presumably a shortend Harland and Wolfe Motor, originally built for the G.U.C.C.C. Is there any reason why it has Yarwoods style handrails on the cabin roof?

As far as I can see it didn't sport these when Max Sinclair owned it, so I don't know how it later came to have them.

I still love it, nonetheless.

21 minutes ago, spud said:

best boat and you havnt even looked at the detail !!!!!!!!! ha ha ha

It looks really good but I would not like to fall orf with hand on rail as it might get locked. I will never own another narrow again due to having the Ideal Boats but still like these shortened motors a lot. 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

It looks really good but I would not like to fall orf with hand on rail as it might get locked. I will never own another narrow again due to having the Ideal Boats but still like these shortened motors a lot. 

Back in my early boating days I slipped off the gunwhale on Pisces, and the "knuckle cracker" handrails stopped me from taking an unplanned  swim in the Nene !

• Greenie 2

Just now, David Schweizer said:

Back in my early boating days I slipped off the gunwhale on Pisces, and the "knuckle cracker" handrails stopped me from taking an unplanned  swim in the Nene !

Did your hand survive alright ?

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

As far as I can see it didn't sport these when Max Sinclair owned it, so I don't know how it later came to have them.

I still love it, nonetheless.

Looking at the photos on the Historic Ships Register they developed from a single rail without the Yarwoods style upstands.

Screenshot_20231102-073835.png

Although technically not GUCCC boats, Cyprus and Cedar had this type of handrail from the yard. Was this not normal then? Or am I missing a detail? 

(This photo is apparently from just after they were built)

img_1_1698928544675.jpg

7 minutes ago, DShK said:

Although technically not GUCCC boats, Cyprus and Cedar had this type of handrail from the yard. Was this not normal then? Or am I missing a detail? 

(This photo is apparently from just after they were built)

img_1_1698928544675.jpg

That type of handrail were put on by Yarwoods when the boats were built.  I think the comment about Vesta is that it wasn't built by Yarwoods but by Harland and Wolff and therefore wouldn't have had that style of handrails originally.

Edited by IanM
  • Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, IanM said:

That type of handrail were put on by Yarwoods when the boats were built.  I think the comment about Vesta is that it wasn't built by Yarwoods but by Harland and Wolff and therefore wouldn't have had that style of handrails originally.

Ah, yep! Missed that major detail, my brain is barely functioning at the moment! Almost at alvecote now, just atherstone to do!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

The Northwich type handrails do look better to my eye but I think the actual design is flawed as a handrail as you can get your hand trapped. 

Aesthetically Vesta is spot on. 

Do you actually know of anyone who has got their hand trapped in a Yarwoods handrail? I worked on Pisces for seven years, and no one on our crew suffered such a fate, in fact it was the design of the handrail which enabled me to get a firm grip when I slipped off the gunwhale.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

Maybe it is stating the "bleedin' obvious", but when built Harland and Wolff "Woolwich" boats had wooden cabins whereas Yarwoods "Northwich" boats had steel.

It wouldn't really be practical to put those Northwich style hand rails on a Woolwich boat, and I suggest Vesta could only really have that style once its wooden cabin was rebuilt in steel.

I do think that with the very narrow gap between handrail and cabin that Yarwoods handrails, as originally fitted, pose a danger.  Normally this is addressed when any modifications are being made by increasing the length of the upstands, and hence the rail clearance from cabin top.

Our FLAMINGO actually has the original clearances on the engine room room, whereas the gap on the accommodation cabin is far less fraught with possible injury, should you slip.(which is not an original) is quite a bit wider, and feels

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Maybe it is stating the "bleedin' obvious", but when built Harland and Wolff "Woolwich" boats had wooden cabins whereas Yarwoods "Northwich" boats had steel.

It wouldn't really be practical to put those Northwich style hand rails on a Woolwich boat, and I suggest Vesta could only really have that style once its wooden cabin was rebuilt in steel.

Has anyone actually looked at the photo I posted several hours ago?

It clearly shows the wooden cabin with an added rail behind the traditional square.

Presumably for safety when used as a tug.

On 01/11/2023 at 15:09, Ray T said:

Gort is a beautifully maintained boat. (no connection)

Straight as a die. Would need a loving owner though.

Photo taken 2019.

It was Mike H's fist boat as captain when he was 15. 

IMGP4522.JPG

Lovely boat, seems to be looking as good now as 2019. Passed us near Braunston last Saturday , unsure where she was going, travelling at some speed, effortlessly and still under 4mph. What engine does she have? Looked to be water cooled. 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Lovely boat, seems to be looking as good now as 2019. Passed us near Braunston last Saturday , unsure where she was going, travelling at some speed, effortlessly and still under 4mph. What engine does she have? Looked to be water cooled

A Gardner 2L2, complete with roses!

IMGP4511.JPG

There is an historical precedent for roses on engines. 

post-7043-0-78053100-1473538054.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Lovely boat, seems to be looking as good now as 2019. Passed us near Braunston last Saturday , unsure where she was going, travelling at some speed, effortlessly and still under 4mph. What engine does she have? Looked to be water cooled. 

Gort has a Gardner 2L2, believed to be the original engine. It gets very little maintenance and runs a treat. And if anyone buys it and tarts up the very old paintwork, oil & diesel stained, they deserve shooting, it looks lovely as it is.

(edit) See Ray's photograph.

Edited by davidg
  • Greenie 2

20 hours ago, davidg said:

Gort has a Gardner 2L2, believed to be the original engine. It gets very little maintenance and runs a treat. And if anyone buys it and tarts up the very old paintwork, oil & diesel stained, they deserve shooting, it looks lovely as it.

Edited by Ray T
Information removed
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

Has anyone actually looked at the photo I posted several hours ago?

It clearly shows the wooden cabin with an added rail behind the traditional square.

Presumably for safety when used as a tug.

I noticed, but as the modification bore no resemblence to Yarwoods handrails, I chose not to comment.

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

It wouldn't really be practical to put those Northwich style hand rails on a Woolwich boat, and I suggest Vesta could only really have that style once its

Is that true though? Carina has a wooden top and thus the other type of handrail. I have heard that the (interior?) cabin is all original...

I think Vesta had the knuckle crackers rather than cant handrails for aesthetic reasons. It does look pretty like that. 

In answer to the question from @David Schweizer I don't know anyone who has had a problem with the Yarwoods handrails but I have held onto one and not felt happy about the design. 

We had a guy on one of our jobs in Libya - he jumped off the side of a truck which had an edge to it similar to the ones being discussed. His wedding ring caught on the edge and before he could shake it loose, the weight of his body ripped his finger clean off.

• Horror 1

1 minute ago, Mike Tee said:

We had a guy on one of our jobs in Libya - he jumped off the side of a truck which had an edge to it similar to the ones being discussed. His wedding ring caught on the edge and before he could shake it loose, the weight of his body ripped his finger clean off.

Similar has happened to some on telegraph pole footsteps and slipped.

Again external staff bombarded with lurid safety instructions.

linesman01.jpg

OIP.jpg