Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I remember when Mecca was a very battered open maintenance boat hull on the South Stratford in National Trust days.

The rumour at the time was that it had been acquired 'unofficially' from BW during the restoration. The local BW bods were prepared to overlook the matter, as long as it never reappeared on their waters.

When BW took the South Stratford back from NT they reacquired the boat, which was subsequently sold off.

HOW Much ?!?

Probably very nice, but at the end of the day it is a converted horse boat with a three cylinder air cooled Lister.

True, that is a whole load of cash but you'll struggle to find another of equal merit or indeed have a similar example made/converted for that price.

I remember when Mecca was a very battered open maintenance boat hull on the South Stratford in National Trust days.

The rumour at the time was that it had been acquired 'unofficially' from BW during the restoration. The local BW bods were prepared to overlook the matter, as long as it never reappeared on their waters.

When BW took the South Stratford back from NT they reacquired the boat, which was subsequently sold off.

I think Mecca was the boat I towed from Lapworth to Stone at Easter 1988 (?). Rex Wain was taking Grange from Stockton to Stone with Planet for his brother Simon to work on and Roger Fuller had bought Mecca to cut the back end off & motorise. We went to the Cape the first night, then up Hatton, picked up Mecca and via Deritend & Aston as the Saltley cut was closed at the time so we had to go the long way round bowhauling through all the extra locks (that was Simon & Roger's job) and overnight in the bottom pound at Aston. Great Haywood the next night and then up to Roger's place at Stone.

The back half of Mecca was also subsequently motorised by Roger Farrington at Braunston and is usually at Stockton, also called Mecca but somewhat shorter than the other part.

True, that is a whole load of cash but you'll struggle to find another of equal merit or indeed have a similar example made/converted for that price.

Not sure what you mean by "of equal merit", can you explain?

The converted LMS Railway Boat we were trying to buy was just 70% of that price. That seems to bear better comparison against other converted boats, so I'm not clear what makes this one extra special?

Not sure what you mean by "of equal merit", can you explain?

The converted LMS Railway Boat we were trying to buy was just 70% of that price. That seems to bear better comparison against other converted boats, so I'm not clear what makes this one extra special?

I understand the asking price may not be it's true market value, only time will tell, however the price reflects what the current owner believes his or her boat to be worth and given the desirability of this type of boat, the renown input from those involved in her conversion and overall specification you'd have to agree that she has significant 'merits' that are unlikely to be found in other boats.

To rebuild her from new now would cost twice the asking price and wouldn't have any historic element to her at all which some would say makes it a less appealing boat to own.

As an aside, I see little value (no pun intended) to talking down the value of 'historic' narrowboats be they converted or not unless you happen to be a buyer who wants something for less than it's worth. Those who own such boats I'm sure would, if and when the time came to sell, welcome a good and positive market rather than having their boats compared ever downwards to the last sale price.

As an aside, I see little value (no pun intended) to talking down the value of 'historic' narrowboats be they converted or not unless you happen to be a buyer who wants something for less than it's worth. Those who own such boats I'm sure would, if and when the time came to sell, welcome a good and positive market rather than having their boats compared ever downwards to the last sale price.

I've actually got a fairly good handle on the prices actually being achieved by historic boats recently sold, because we are definitely in the market for one, have looked at several, and followed the progress of several more.

I'm certainly not trying to talk down their value, and realise you have little chance of actually doing a full restoration, (and maybe conversion) yourself, and not spending a lot more than what many are currently making. However it is openly acknowledged in that case, I think, that you would be fairly optimistic to ever expect to sell for what you had put into it.

If you can point me at any converted boat with real heritage that has actually achieved in excess of (say) £60K in recent times, I would be interested to know which one(s) because I can't immediately think of any.

The harsh reality, (with a few exceptions) is that most have achieved no more than £50K, often much less.

When investigating what it might cost to put at least one of the boats we considered into good order, I talked to some of the usually most respected surveyors and steelworkers in this field, and also to a broker that had valued some of the boats, also well respected.

The general feedback I got was something like this.....

"A full length converted motor, of recognised pedigree, in very good order, might normally be expected fetch £70K tops if it has an interesting engine, but more typically £65K. Butty and horse boat conversions generally less."

Now it is possible these people don't know what they are talking about, because I have seen one needing considerable work make £58K. I guess it comes down to what someone is prepared to pay if they want the boat badly enough, and, clearly in that case someone did. I don't blame owners for trying to achieve a very high price - the rarity value occasionally means they pull it off!

Finally please don't tkle this as meaning that if I can't buy a boat for under £50K I will not spend my money - nothing could be further from the truth. We were all set up to pay an owners asking price at considerably more than that, and it was only the fact that ultimately he couldn't bring himself to sell it, (twice!), that we don't now own it. If I saw a boat at the sort of money that Mecca is being advertised that ticked most of my boxes I would probably be in there like a flash.

When first/fresh to market I think 8/10 times if it's strongly priced (aspirational price) you can take off at least 10-20% off.

So if we look at it that way a boat advertised for £70K in my mind is really available for £56-63K.

Edited by mark99

When first/fresh to market I think 8/10 times if it's strongly priced (aspirational price) you can take off at least 10-20% off.

So if we look at it that way a boat advertised for £70K in my mind is really available for £56-63K.

If we assume that, it would place the actual price that might be accepted for "Mecca" as £64K to £72K.

I can see it could achieve towards the lower end of that, I guess.

If we assume that, it would place the actual price that might be accepted for "Mecca" as £64K to £72K.

I can see it could achieve towards the lower end of that, I guess.

If you don't mind me being nosey, if it was for sale at 55K would it interest you? or are you interested in a particular builder or a non butchered hull?

If you don't mind me being nosey, if it was for sale at 55K would it interest you? or are you interested in a particular builder or a non butchered hull?

Not nosey at all - and some have in the past questioned why we appear (in their eyes), to be too "picky", so here goes.

We have already tried to buy a converted LMS Railway Boat, so certainly a boat of this type is not ruled out, (though I admit I would prefer something that actually started life as a "motor").

Reasons why I personally would not be looking at Mecca, even at £55K are, (from limited information in the advert)....

1) The fact that the main bedroom is under that very long tug deck, which greatly reduces the amount of "full height" cabin available. LMS Railway boats have some of the least deep holds of former carrying boats, so however that has been achieved, it must be a real crawling job, which I don't fancy, however nice the resultant space, (it's quite probably generous in all but height).

2) It has a three cylinder (relatively modern) air cooled Lister - I already have one in my tug, and it is fine for that, but I have set my heart on the next cruising boat hopefully giving me something with 2 cylinders, and a more traditional sound. The Listers also can't heat water, which would be a real "nice to have", although I appreciate that might be hard to achieve with an old water cooled engine if it used raw water. Changing an engine in a boat like this is usually massively expensive to do, although I might consider it for a boat where everything else gave us what we want.

3) We need some extra bed space beyond the main bedroom, and the cross bed in this one is stated as only 5' 9" - not a lot of use to my 6' 2" son, or even to me at about 6', (now I have shrunk a bit in old age!).

All the above are how we feel about things, and strongly dictate our "must have" list. Clearly they will not necessarily be negative points for others, but I see this boat as not a good enough match to what we need to actually take a look at it.

Incidentally the one we got thorougly let down on ticked all the right boxes - Russell Newbery engine, (unusually a keel cooled installation) - very useable bed-hole in back cabin - separate single bedroom and potential office, plus a good full sized double bedroom, which you can stand up in. Shame it didn't happen, as I doubt anybody else will ultimately hand over as much cash as we were prepared to, in that case.

Thanks Alan. It's a shame you know as I see some very nice historic boats in our local patch ...... some of which never <seem> to move!

When we finally get one, it will move lots......

For the record boats I know (or have been I think reliably informed) where a sale has been agreed in the last month or two are (all Grand Unions)......

"Baldock"

"Bournmouth"

and (I'm assuming, as it has gone from "the Duck").

"Planet"

We would certainly have bought "Planet" at a sensible price, even though both the engine room and the back cabin were life expired and in need of a total rebuild. Once that is sorted, someone ill have got themselves a very nice boat, I think.

When we finally get one, it will move lots......

For the record boats I know (or have been I think reliably informed) where a sale has been agreed in the last month or two are (all Grand Unions)......

"Baldock"

"Bournmouth"

and (I'm assuming, as it has gone from "the Duck").

"Planet"

We would certainly have bought "Planet" at a sensible price, even though both the engine room and the back cabin were life expired and in need of a total rebuild. Once that is sorted, someone ill have got themselves a very nice boat, I think.

And Lancing I believe.

And Lancing I believe.

Yes, forgot that one.

And I suspect "Ladybank" as well, although I don't know for cerain.

And "Mountbatten" and "Jellicoe" of course.....

My initial list was less than complete, wasn't it!

Dover is now listed on ABNB. Don't know how to do a link on my iPad!!

I can't work out what it is I don't take to on this boat, not the internals (that's another whole discussion) but from the outside - it doesn't seem to sit in the water right.