24 hour moorings

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

I am currently stuck in Hebden Bridge as the canal has stoppages both ways. I've moved about as much as possible but Hebden is the only place within this 15 mile isolated stretch with easy(ish) access to diesel and coal. For the last 5 days I've been on a 24hr mooring. There is room for 2 or 3 more boats. Now I've been asked to move on, only a hundred yards or so to 14 day moorings which has collapsed banks and lack of rings. I'm told that CRT are stamping down on overstaying which I completely agree with. But a bit of commonsence would be appreciated. Nobody is moving through the area, they can't. There is room for everyone. The day the canal opens in either direction I'll be off.

Should I be moved on to overstay elsewhere in these circumsances.

Were the stoppages planned or emergency ones?

o the west it was planned, to the East an emergency. Initially I was told it was for four days so was not too bothered as I was heading up to the limit to the west before returning. 4 days has now turned into 2 months. Had I known I'd have got through before it happened.

I would move to the 14 day moorings, unless it's unsafe to do so. It's positive that CRT are patrolling the visitor moorings and recording whose there and for how long as this lack of action and enforcement has been exercising many in the SE Mooring consultation thread. Your post reflects many of the comments that visitor moorings are not full of continuos cruisers but by the sheer number of boats seeking moorings in popular times of the year other times there is rarely a problem.

o the west it was planned, to the East an emergency. Initially I was told it was for four days so was not too bothered as I was heading up to the limit to the west before returning. 4 days has now turned into 2 months. Had I known I'd have got through before it happened.

I'd say your case is pretty valid. Yes, technically it doesn't obey the letter of the law but it seems to be a victimless 'crime' if within that 15 mile stretch which is isolated while the stoppages are on, the number of boats wishing to use a 24 hour mooring is less than the available space on it.

Can you moor on pins a little distance away from the 24h mooring?

I'd say your case is pretty valid. Yes, technically it doesn't obey the letter of the law but it seems to be a victimless 'crime' if within that 15 mile stretch which is isolated while the stoppages are on, the number of boats wishing to use a 24 hour mooring is less than the available space on it.

swap the signs over. ;)

a typical example where common sense has gone out the window....again. Come on CRT....dont be silly.

Is it really though?

At the risk of turning this into a ccers vs marina dwellers argument, yet again. I know that dr Bradley travels a lot of the system and usually abides by the regulations.

But in this instance if there is a 14 day mooring in close proximity why should he stay on the 24 hour mooring? Why should the rules be any different in this case?

It is good to see that CRT are patrolling the area. People are often complaining that not enough of this is done. You can't really have it both ways.

It seems that dr Bradley is in an unfortunate situation but should that really mean being allowed to stay on a 24 hour mooring for days on end?

If there is ever to be a level playing field and a fair system then everyone has to abide by the regulations even in cases like this. If not we don't make any progress and the situation will just get worse.

• Greenie 2

I suppose I'll have to, it just seems silly. Roll on the reopening.

:smiley_offtopic: Another interesting quandry is if the way into Sowerby Bridge does not reopen in time I'll have to go the Rochdale route. It reopens at lock 44 (and others ) on the 8th March. On the 10th March Barton Swing Bridge closes for 2 weeks which will involve hanging about for another week or so as I'm booked on the Ribble link early April.

Is it really though?

At the risk of turning this into a ccers vs marina dwellers argument, yet again. I know that dr Bradley travels a lot of the system and usually abides by the regulations.

But in this instance if there is a 14 day mooring in close proximity why should he stay on the 24 hour mooring? Why should the rules be any different in this case?

It is good to see that CRT are patrolling the area. People are often complaining that not enough of this is done. You can't really have it both ways.

It seems that dr Bradley is in an unfortunate situation but should that really mean being allowed to stay on a 24 hour mooring for days on end?

If there is ever to be a level playing field and a fair system then everyone has to abide by the regulations even in cases like this. If not we don't make any progress and the situation will just get worse.

Keep up at the back!

I think you will find the cc'ers versus marina dwellers scenario is in the distance. Of late, a lot of people are looking to move forward from that drivel.

Keep up at the back!

I think you will find the cc'ers versus marina dwellers scenario is in the distance. Of late, a lot of people are looking to move forward from that drivel.

Whilst it would be nice to think so I doubt it somehow. It's an eternal argument with no end in sight!

Whilst it would be nice to think so I doubt it somehow. It's an eternal argument with no end in sight!

Yes, I suppose your right, a very small minority possibly wish to drag it on. However, I suspect the majority will move on, there's more to life, and summers around the corner.

It does seem pointless for you to have to move if the moorings are not full and there is no chance of new boats arriving whilst the stoppages last. Presumably you mentioned this to the patrol person, did he have an answer other than "rules is rules" and "more that my job's worth to let you stay"?

It does seem pointless for you to have to move if the moorings are not full and there is no chance of new boats arriving whilst the stoppages last. Presumably you mentioned this to the patrol person, did he have an answer other than "rules is rules" and "more that my job's worth to let you stay"?

He just said CRT are keen to enforce rules. I believe that even where rules should generally be enforced, there are times they could be relaxed in view of circumstances. There is no way any boats are going to want to fill the 24 hour spaces whilst the closures are on. There is of course the problem that if rules were always relaxed at closures, more people would be likely to take advantage by deliberatly geting stuck behind them.

Try phoning the Cart office explain the circumstances and asking permission to stay.

I thought of doing tha but decided reluctantly to move to the poorer moorings.

Edited by Dr Bradley

Many years ago I was travelling to London by train, train was crowded, I was hungry, so sat in the empty dining car. Waitress arrived, I asked for a menu, she told me there was no dining service on the train, not even coffee I asked, no she said. Ok I said thanks, she then said you can't sit there, why not I replied, because this is the dining car and you are not eating, I would I said but you just said I can't, yes that's right she replied. So why can't I sit here, because it is a dining car, I replied that I intended to remain as there was nowhere else to sit. She disappeared and returned with a guard, who repeated the you can't sit here message, I repeated the I'm sitting here message. He then said he would stop the train and call a policeman to deal with me, I asked for his name and told him to go ahead, he refused to give his name and left muttering under his breath. The train did stop eventually at a place called Waterloo but no police arrived to carry me off.

I would move back to the better mooring and call the local office, if you can't move on and no one else can or needs to moor there then common sense says there is no point in moving. It is not C&RT policy, on the K&A boaters have been told to stay put as due to the stoppages and excess water there is no point in moving.

Ken

I am one of those on the k&a who have been told to use the.48 moorings until we can move . I phoned the office explained the problem , answer was stay put and put a note in the window if you leave the boat unattended . No one is using the moorings so it's just common sense go back and ring the office .

Today between the former BW yard through the Red Lion bridge and down to Lock 38 there were a total of 13 boats this morning including those that are paying for a winter mooring so plenty of room available at this honey spot as the consultation would have us believe.

Edited by Tuscan

I am currently stuck in Hebden Bridge as the canal has stoppages both ways. I've moved about as much as possible but Hebden is the only place within this 15 mile isolated stretch with easy(ish) access to diesel and coal. For the last 5 days I've been on a 24hr mooring. There is room for 2 or 3 more boats. Now I've been asked to move on, only a hundred yards or so to 14 day moorings which has collapsed banks and lack of rings. I'm told that CRT are stamping down on overstaying which I completely agree with. But a bit of commonsence would be appreciated. Nobody is moving through the area, they can't. There is room for everyone. The day the canal opens in either direction I'll be off.

Should I be moved on to overstay elsewhere in these circumsances.

Stay where you are

Is it really though?

maybe because as the canal is closed no other boat will arrive wanting to use the mooring and if for some reason they do it would appear there are spaces

It is only an argument if people want to make it so. All the arguing is not going to solve the problem.

Rules are there to serve a purpose. It is when they become a purpose in themseves that things become ridiculous, as in this case.

But in fact, Colin ((Dr Bradley) to be fair has himself advanced the only valid argument as to why he should move:

There is of course the problem that if rules were always relaxed at closures, more people would be likely to take advantage by deliberatly geting stuck behind them.

But of course this is an emergency stoppage (leaks at Sowerby Bridge) which has gone on for far longer than promised - not a question of hiding behind closures.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I think there needs to be some sort of directive during the winter months on these sort of moorings. A bit of common sense from CRT would go a long way by showing cc'ers they have some understanding of issues faced.

That's a good sentiment but unfortunately there is no seasonality in the law as set out in section 17 of the British Waterways Act 1995. Changing the law has pretty much been dismissed (not a massive issue, no chance of Parlaimentary time etc) so if they were to do this, it would basically mean they only partially enforce the rules. Sounds familiar?

To put it another way: its okay to overstay in a particularly unusual set of circumstances where a boat becomes 'trapped' between (emergency) stoppages, because this could be seen as exceptional. But to make a general rule for 3 or more months of the year, extends it a bit far. Plenty of people cruise in the winter months so the arguments for enforcing short stay moorings remain valid.