Dogs

gaz_88

Featured Posts

One consideration that may crop up is whether the dog actually likes boating, although this may not be a problem with a puppy.

I have two border collies, Skye and her daughter Rona. Skye absolutely loves boating, to the extent that she will try to get on any boat on the cut, whereas Rona is ok until you start the engine and then she shakes and drools until engine stops, so poor Rona goes to friends when we hire.

They spoil her rotten too so she loves it.

Oh, yes, I know this! Odin thinks he's welcome on any boat that's moored up.

"Odin" is proper "Lab", but not "Pedigree Lab" - I think the pictures are fair proof of his general "Lab-ness".

It is not unusual to have dogs bred from "Lab" stock, but where they have not actually gone through all the paperwork of registration - and that is so here - neither parent was "pedigree", but are "Labs" none-the-less, and both live in loving family homes - not owned by breeders.

It seems that the actual "breed standard" for a Lab you might wish to show is actually for a bigger, heavier, dog than is actually good for the dog itself if you are more interested in its well-being, than actually putting it in the show ring.

People looking at "Odin" tend to say "that's very much a working lab, rather than a show one". I'm very happy with that, and prefer the look to one that might actually be able to be a Crufts champion.

The tragic circumstances that surrounded our last dog Charlie, (a pedigree red Cocker, but taken from a "Rescue"), were almost certainly something that has arisen from placing breeding for show ahead of well-being of the dog. I think far too little attention is paid to just producing good family pets with no avoidable congenital problems, and actually the push for "breed standard" dogs isn't actually good for the dogs, (or those who just want a pet that will live long and have a good life).

EDIT: Odin weighs about 26.5 kilos at 9 months. That may sound a lot, but is less than usually quoted for a male lab at that sort of age

That makes sense. Our daughter's lab came from a family home and has no papers or anything. She is clearly all lab though. Our Labradoodle is much the same and bred in a family environment and not a puppy farm. I am not really interested in pedigree papers TBH. The JRx was found abandoned so clearly no paperwork with him! (Poor feller hardly had any fur or flesh either, but that is another story.)

Sorry to hear about your Spaniel, sounds a very similar story to my friends Vizsla.

Ours is tiny, she only weighs 21kgs whatever a kg is, some foreign weight the vet uses. ow heavy is yours?

Tim

She was 3 stone last time we weighed her Tim, but am certain she will be nearer 4 now. Whilst not massive, she is extremely solid. After looking after this dog frequently, a Lab would be high on my list of desirable dogs; she is a real character.

That makes sense. Our daughter's lab came from a family home and has no papers or anything. She is clearly all lab though. Our Labradoodle is much the same and bred in a family environment and not a puppy farm. I am not really interested in pedigree papers TBH. The JRx was found abandoned so clearly no paperwork with him! (Poor feller hardly had any fur or flesh either, but that is another story.)

Sorry to hear about your Spaniel, sounds a very similar story to my friends Vizsla.

I recently (-ish) read "In defense of Dogs", by John Bradshaw. The last chapter of which is a consideration that we mostly get our dogs from breeders, who are producing dogs to a breed specification which is not what the average family needs. I feel quite strongly that what we need is dogs that are healthy, fit, and with an equitable temperament - not what many of the breeders are turning out.

Oh, yes, I know this! Odin thinks he's welcome on any boat that's moored up.

Our Labradoodle is the same :)

We were tied up somewhere last year when a Bull Mastiff poked his head through the side hatch. It was huge, and it went dark inside the boat. The owner was extremely apologetic but I said I didn't care. On talking to him, it turned out it was only 14 months old, and he claimed they grow until 3 years old. I can't imagine how big that animal will grow. It was an extremely soft and playful dog. I also know of a pit bull cross that is amongst the softest dogs I have ever encountered.

I recently (-ish) read "In defense of Dogs", by John Bradshaw. The last chapter of which is a consideration that we mostly get our dogs from breeders, who are producing dogs to a breed specification which is not what the average family needs. I feel quite strongly that what we need is dogs that are healthy, fit, and with an equitable temperament - not what many of the breeders are turning out.

Can only agree. We have had some lovely dogs over the years from various sources, but never big breeders. Some crosses make fine dogs; we had a Lab/Spaniel/Border Collie cross and he was a fine animal. Everyone thought he was a flat coated retriever, but I got him for a tenner off a young lass on a local farm. Many years ago I had a German Shepherd/Lab cross and she was amazing, if ridiculously large. Probably the softest dog in the world.

I wonder if dogs know who are the dog lovers, we always seem to have a far share of "visitors" while moored up.

Without doubt IMHO.

With most of the breeds which are supposed to "work", there are almost 2 standards. The breed standard as approved by the Kennel Club which seems to produce dogs which, while they meet the breed standards couldn't do a days work. Labs are one breed affected by this. You get the breed standard ones which are fat short legged dogs and the working labs who tend to be longer legged and finer bodied and actually look as if they could spend a day working. Border collies are another breed which suffers from KC registration. Looking at the ones in a breed show ring, they might have nice coats and well shaped ears etc but they look so dull. They seem to lack that intelligent, alert and ready to go look which were a trait of the breed till the Kennel Club decided to recognise the breed. That was, in my opinion, a bad day for border collies but thank fully there are enough people who still think they are a working breed and breed and use them accordingly.

haggis

• Greenie 1

We have 2 Border Collies on our boat.............both love boating............once will sleep all the time the engine is on the other just likes to know whats going on. And yes one of them thinks any boat is OK to get onto.

I don't think its a case of best dog for a boat its a case of what you are happy with and if the dog is going to adjust to the lifestyle.

I wonder if dogs know who are the dog lovers, we always seem to have a far share of "visitors" while moored up.

Most definitely I'd say. We too have lots of doggy visitors - one rottweiller came right into the boat and claimed Millie's bed much to the owner's embarrassment! Dave and I were in stitches watching this big dog trying to fit into our little dog's bed!

There is no one particular type of dog you should or should not get, but consider if the type of dog that you are thinking of can get on and off the boat easily, etc.

Also, across some breeds and types of dogs, a significant number of them cannot swim; The Bulldog particularly will sink like a stone, most boxer dogs cannot swim, also Staffys, pugs, and more or less anything that is brachycephalic or has a large, heavy head. You will have to be extra careful of them falling in if you're going to keep that kind of dog on a boat!

Ruby the Staffie hates ducks & has been known to fall in going after them ---- she comes back up.

Also, across some breeds and types of dogs, a significant number of them cannot swim; The Bulldog particularly will sink like a stone, most boxer dogs cannot swim, also Staffys, pugs, and more or less anything that is brachycephalic or has a large, heavy head. You will have to be extra careful of them falling in if you're going to keep that kind of dog on a boat!

Not all of them, but a signifcant number of them. Some more than others; Bulldogs, for instance, I simply cannot imagine considering the laws of physics, how a single dog of that breed could ever swim.

And until you get a dog and find out from experience, unless you are a veterinary professional or incredibly familiar with the breed, will you know, or be able to make an educated guess about their chances if their conformation and historical data indicates they are possibly going to be a non-swimmer?

It is certainly something that boaters seeking a new dog should be aware of, the possibility that many or most dogs of certain breeds cannot swim, as like much of the general population, lots of boaters are totally unaware that some dogs can't swim, and it is commonly assumed (and I can see why) that all dogs can.

I know a boating boxer very well, and he cannot swim; I also know of other boating boxers owned by people on this forum that can. I don't think a person should necessarily rule out a dog that they like because it cannot swim or there is a significant chance that it may not be able to, but being aware of this is important.

Edited by Starcoaster

We made this mistake with our first dog Winston a Golden Retriever he was a great looking handsome dog and had all his papers for his KC registration showing his family line the whole works which we at the time were lead to believe was a 'good thing'. However through out his life he suffered a catalogue of ill health including hip displacement, arthritis, heart problems and skin problems too. He didn't suffer as such as we always ensured he got the (expensive!) treatment he needed. We vowed then we would never have anything to do with a 'pure' breed as in recognised by the KC. One of the reasons we went for a JRT was the KC don't recognise the 'breed'.

Winston -

March2002002_zps1601258d.jpg

March2002000_zpsb9fd8c28.jpg

My vote is for a black lab every time, she is very sure footed and has never fallen off the boat

SDC12788.jpg

and will even drive the boat while i work the lock!

LucyRochdaleCanal-1.jpg

Well you say it's a "she" but I can't see that from the pictures - for a moment I thought you had pinched our dog!

March2002000_zpsb9fd8c28.jpg

Aw.......

Odin has been to dog training this morning, and goes absolutely ballistic before and after with "Digby", who has that look, and is great. I know which one I'd rather be towelling down, afterwards, though!

Edited by alan_fincher

I'm moving onto a boat with the 2 Golden retrievers I already have. One is a rescue, was unwanted and going to be pts 3 years ago. I love him to bits, he's 14 and arthriticy but so is my dad and I wouldn't have him put to sleep- although sometimes its been tempting! Ill have o help him on and off the boat but its no big deal. We are a team and we go together!

Aw.......

Odin has been to dog training this morning, and goes absolutely ballistic before and after with "Digby", who has that look, and is great. I know which one I'd rather be towelling down, afterwards, though!

Too right - a hairy beast is no fun on a long muddy walk.

That second pic. was from memory taken a month or so before he was put to sleep, (the first one was when he was around 2 years old) by that time the second one was taken he used to find going up and down the stairs a real chore and would rather wait at the top rather than come down in case there was a need to come back up shortly afterwards.

If the truth be known we probably waited longer than we should have before deciding on the inevitable.

How will I clean up the hairs!! Having had Goldens all my life I know what a problem they can be and with a good Hoover its not so bad but in a 12 v boat??

Frankly this is one of the reasons we wouldn't have one on a boat, our Dyson used to cope at home but I can imagine it would be a problem on a boat - particularly one with carpets.

We give our Millie swimming lessons at a canine swimming pool, so have no worries if she falls in the cut.

millieswimming009.jpg

We originally did this as she was suffering from colitis when we got her. To help deal with the colitis our vet pet her on steroids for a year. This caused her to balloon to 10kgs.

At this weight she was reluctant to walk. Swimming gave her the exercise she needed. She has been off the steroids for a couple of years and now weighs 7.5kg.

An added bonus we have is that the swimming has cured Millie's "Legg–Calvé–Perthes" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legg%E2%80%93Calv%C3%A9%E2%80%93Perthes_syndrome )

This is a complaint common to JRT's

We still take her swimming once a fortnight.

We give our Millie swimming lessons at a canine swimming pool, so have no worries if she falls in the cut.

millieswimming009.jpg

We originally did this as she was suffering from colitis when we got her. To help deal with the colitis our vet pet her on steroids for a year. This caused her to balloon to 10kgs.

At this weight she was reluctant to walk. Swimming gave her the exercise she needed. She has been off the steroids for a couple of years and now weighs 7.5kg.

An added bonus we have is that the swimming has cured Millie's "Legg–Calvé–Perthes" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legg%E2%80%93Calv%C3%A9%E2%80%93Perthes_syndrome )

This is a complaint common to JRT's

We still take her swimming once a fortnight.

:wub:

I have an English Bull Terrier and he loves boating!

down side for him is he definately cannot swim as we found out when he fell off.

and he also has trouble getting on and off so has to been lifted on and off.

Hes 25kilos which is just about manageable but some of them came weigh upto 40kilos

But the plus sides are that he is short haired and happy to sleep most off the day.

which can be very handy if having a busy day.