Sound Signals

Sydknee

Horn Blaster  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Would an Automatic Sound Signal (Horn Blaster) be useful

Featured Posts

I thought the horn was for raising the crew from slumber to make tea? At least that's what I've been told by Himself.

As noone knows the horn signals I suspect this might not be a big seller. We could go with 4 way indicators instead? Or for those who like it, a motion-activated "SLOW DOWN" siren.

I think you will find a hell of a lot of people know the sound signals. if you ever approach skew bridge in knottingley without a vhf radio or knowing the sound signals just hope 600 tons of laden gravel barge aint coming the other way........have you ever seen what happens when you stamp on an empty coke can !! :o

Tim

• Greenie 1

I think you will find a hell of a lot of people know the sound signals. if you ever approach skew bridge in knottingley without a vhf radio or knowing the sound signals just hope 600 tons of laden gravel barge aint coming the other way........have you ever seen what happens when you stamp on an empty coke can !! :o

Tim

100% agree Tim have a green thingy

Also when going up the Calder, when approaching Altofts and you have to choose between shallow or coke scenario. Bring on the shallows ;)

This is how Ned Teach (Blackbeard the pirate) tried to evade capture by the Royal navy in his schooner which had a much shallower draught than the RN's Frigates, but they just stood off in deeper water and pounded his ship to bits with Great big balls fired from big Mortars.

This is how Ned Teach (Blackbeard the pirate) tried to evade capture by the Royal navy in his schooner which had a much shallower draught than the RN's Frigates, but they just stood off in deeper water and pounded his ship to bits with Great big balls fired from big Mortars.

Not been pounded with gravel yet but I'll watch for that one, wonder what the signal is for I surrender!

I thought the horn was for raising the crew from slumber to make tea? At least that's what I've been told by Himself.

As noone knows the horn signals I suspect this might not be a big seller. We could go with 4 way indicators instead? Or for those who like it, a motion-activated "SLOW DOWN" siren.

How do you know that no-one knows the correct horn signals? I think you may be surprised how many actualy do. :cheers:

Howard

I think Odana was referring to ditchcrawlers who don't venture out into big rivers :)

Our horn is only used when the skipper wants something, or he's approaching a blind bridgehole, or if he's hoping to stop a car on a "toot toot" bridge, as mentioned earlier.

If and when we do go out amongst the big commercial stuff we'll learn the conventions, but they're really not needed on the canals.

How do you know that no-one knows the correct horn signals? I think you may be surprised how many actualy do. :cheers:

Howard

Hi Howard It would not surprise me that the readers of this thread have ether, looked them up or used this thread as the base of their knowledge. Either way it is educational.

I must admit, before I go where the "big boys" play, I brush up on them, because it's easy to forget something you are not using on a daily basis.

I would like to add that in the event of a "close encounter" and any investigation into the circumstances afterwards making the correct signal is bound to add to your case. Use them on the rivers even if most don't understand, but it's great when you do meet someone who does - and it's usually a professional on a busy bit - as they really appreciate knowing what you intend to do, which is frankly the whole point.

I find it easiest to remember that a single hoot means that you intend to do the normal thing (ie pass to the right of someone that you meet) whereas a double hoot which is therefore more complicated to send, means that you intend to do something unusual (ie pass to the left of the other boat)

Of course, as I have posted before, there is also the sound signal of 3 hoots, followed by 4 hoots, then 2 hoots, and one long blast. This of course means "I have engaged reverse gear so I cannot steer and will pass the wrong side of you so GET OUT OF THE WAY". Alternatively if you know Morse Code it spells S, H, I, T which is pretty much the same message.

Edited by Keeping Up

Tim

Had a near miss here myself. It's not so much whether you give signals yourself that counts, it's whether or not the barge skipper does that really matters. I even had a lookout in the bows to listen for a signal but none was given.

Arthur

Had a near miss here myself. It's not so much whether you give signals yourself that counts, it's whether or not the barge skipper does that really matters. I even had a lookout in the bows to listen for a signal but none was given.

Arthur

Hi Arthur

yes a bad spot, blind on approach. This is why VHF is an absolutely essential bit of safety equipment. I find the barge skippers simply say " Boat name Skew bridge inbound/outbound " on approach to tell other users of their approach.

Tim

Or for those who like it, a motion-activated "SLOW DOWN" siren.

I like that one

I think Odana was referring to ditchcrawlers who don't venture out into big rivers :)

Our horn is only used when the skipper wants something, or he's approaching a blind bridgehole, or if he's hoping to stop a car on a "toot toot" bridge, as mentioned earlier.

If and when we do go out amongst the big commercial stuff we'll learn the conventions, but they're really not needed on the canals.

No need to get personal :cheers: and yes I do.

Couple of days ago I was approaching that bridge and corner a few hundred yards east of Devizes.

Not much point in sounding the horn at this time of the year I thought, surely nobody moving today except me.

But then I thought again, lets do it properly...I sounded the horn.

There was an immediate replay.

How nice of a motorist to reply I thought to myself.

Went through bridge, started turn, another bot heading directly towards me!!!!!!!!!!!

Felt a bit silly!

.........Dave