Oooops

leeco

Featured Posts

My proposed solution is to drain the pound then chop it up with the gas axe.

I can't imagine the value of the crane approaching anything like the cost of a solution that recovers it complete and re-usable, so it is an insurance write-off. Get rid of it in the cheapest way possible.

MtB

That sounds the most feasible way to me. Surely the thing will be knackered anyway?

Big problem with dismantling crane - it's upside down and underwater! Even draining the pound would still leave it upside down and really only dismantle-able with a hot axe.

I can't see any insurance company being too happy about writing off one or two hundred thousand pounds worth of tackle for want of a bit of application.

It strikes me that the best way of recovering it would be to roll it over, no crane needed for that.

How would you roll that crane over?

How would you roll that crane over?

I know absolutely nothing about these things but my idea would be attach a long girder to the canal side of the vehicle pointing up into the air. Attach "ropes" (OK I guess hawsers would be the correct term). Inflate bags underneath while winching using the leverage of the girder. Possibly consider "ropes" from the other side of the canal so that you could start to lower when past the tipping point.

Now I wait with interest to be told by those with practical experience why it won't work.

I know absolutely nothing about these things but my idea would be attach a long girder to the canal side of the vehicle pointing up into the air. Attach "ropes" (OK I guess hawsers would be the correct term). Inflate bags underneath while winching using the leverage of the girder. Possibly consider "ropes" from the other side of the canal so that you could start to lower when past the tipping point.

Now I wait with interest to be told by those with practical experience why it won't work.

Sounds OK to me.

You have to remember this thing weighs 64tonne so this is never going to be easy

I doubt air bags would have any real impact

The crane will now be firmly embedded in the canal so breaking that suction seal could be difficult - bit like pulling your wellies out of the mud but on a bigger scale

I think a winching operation could work but it will need some serious winches / rigging and anchor points which will require a fair amount of prep work

I doubt air bags would have any real impact

I have seen what my brother describes as a "red appliance" (fire engine to you and me) righted by very few air jacks (2 or 3). A 5 tonne jack is 39" diameter so you could fit a number underneath and then there is the effect of the water buoyancy. OK t hey wouldn't lift very high but the water isn't deep and they would help with the hardest part. Just my opinion theorising. I am interested in the replies to compare my theories with peoples practical experience.

[/size]

I have seen what my brother describes as a "red appliance" (fire engine to you and me) righted by very few air jacks (2 or 3). A 5 tonne jack is 39" diameter so you could fit a number underneath and then there is the effect of the water buoyancy. OK t hey wouldn't lift very high but the water isn't deep and they would help with the hardest part. Just my opinion theorising. I am interested in the replies to compare my theories with peoples practical experience.

Would be a sound idea with a concrete base to push against but I'm afraid the jacks, like the idea, would be, well puddled!

I went to have a look, and have some photos I'll try and post. It's a mess. Access is terrible. To complete the manoeuvre they'd planned, the beast had to go right on the edge of a naff bit of towpath. There was only going to be one outcome of that . . .

I gather that ton bags of stone had been put in the canal bed to 'reinforce' the towpath, but clearly it was nowhere near sufficient.

I expect the crane will be cut up in situ.

Tim

A few photos for those who don't know the site.

This is where the crane has fallen in:

8489473358_25ce256a26_b.jpg

The access to the maintenance yard along the towpath. The crane fell in a couple of hundred feet beyond the locks.

8488379073_7e40658630_z.jpg

The derelict swing bridge, with the locks and maintenance yard beyond. This would be the logical place to put stop planks.

8488379105_4f15f92255_b.jpg

Actually air bag jacks work very well on soggy ground but I think they would have problems moving 60 tons.

Not at all. The 777 that landed short at Heathrow a few years back was shifted with airbags- it's a standard technique for moving large aircraft back onto firm ground. The crane would no doubt need some pretty big ones.

N

Not at all. The 777 that landed short at Heathrow a few years back was shifted with airbags- it's a standard technique for moving large aircraft back onto firm ground. The crane would no doubt need some pretty big ones.

N

A bit ironic but I have just paid £400 to have a new pair of air bags fitted to the back of the Citroen.

Edit

Just to add a meter square air jack would lift that crane by its self http://www.ameintl.net/products.php?cid=4&catid=26&Air%20Bag%20Lifting%20Jacks

Edited by ditchcrawler

One and a half million Helium or Hydrogen filled toy balloobs on strings would raise it, give or take one or two, nice red ones to match the vehicle. Or the same gases with roughly 798 bouncy castles or 4,187 inflatable dolls to draw the crowds in to watch.

Would a chinook helicopter lift it? I seem to remember seeing a film clip of a chinook lifting an RAF malfunctioning Seaking rescue copter in the highlands.

No. I think they'll lift around 10 tons, nowhere near enough anyway.

I think the Russians may have some with a bigger capacity?

Tim

Edit - they'll lift about 20 tons, still nowhere near enough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mil_Mi-26

Tim

Edited by Timleech