I think my engine blew up :(

Berengaria

Featured Posts

Hello everyone. I wonder if any of you clever people could help diagnose an event which happened last night.

I have a BMC engine and was running it to charge the batteries. I knew fuel was low so I'd recently put 11litres in to see it through the next couple of days.

It had been running fine for about 5 hours and then suddenly I heard from inside the boat what sounded like ducks pecking the sides. It wasn't loud and don't know if it's related but it stopped after a while.

Then about 20 minutes later the engine slowed and died. I went outside and was met with white smoke and a very hot engine. It was dark but I checked oil which seemed fine but I dumped a load more in and waited for things to settle. I then tried starting the engine again and after a couple of tries it started.

A few sparks shot out the exhaust but it seemed ok so I let it run on highish revs for a minute or two. Then dropped it to idle and it cut out ( which is unusual for this engine).

Now I tried to start it again and it just clunks. Doesn't turn over or anything.

Can anyone offer any advice please? I'm not a huge engine expert n I just hope it hasn't died. Many thanks.

Thank you for the reply. I was under the impression that the engine was cooled via the main water tank at the front of the boat, which I haven't checked but there is water in the taps....am I being an idiot though? Thank you

Unlikely, since that's drinking water! More likely that your engine can heat that water, giving you hot water.

You should have a seperate cooling system running to a skin tank on the inside of the hull. It does sound like your engine has overheated which can cause problems and then you tried to run the engine again without addressing them. The most likely cause of overheating is a lack of water in the cooling system. You need to locate the pressure cap above the water reservoir, undo it and check the water level inside. If there's no water, then that's the problem. The cause could be a leak in the system somewhere or possibly a worn out pressure cap. Over heating could split the head gasket too so check inside the oil filler cap to see if the oil has turned into something akin to mayonnaise which would indicate water getting into places it shouldn't.

The good news is that bmcs are tough old beasts and can usually be coaxed back into life.

Thank you so much for your detailed post! I guess my next stupid question would be this....where is the water reservoir likely to be? I suppose it would help if I took a photo so you could see the engine but I'll have to wait till its lighter outside :)

Here's some good news I think tho..after letting the engine cool down overnight I risked trying it again just now...probably stupid but there are no other boats around and it's rural area....but the engine turned and started before I let it cut out on idle after 2-3 seconds... I suppose I really have to check the water yes but I've looked around and can't see anything that looks remotely like a water tank from a car.....

Additionally I checked the oil inside the filler cap prior to topping up the oil after the incident. Both the oil in the engine and on the dipstick were totally black. Thx

IMPORTANT:

Do not start the engine again until you are sure that the cooling system is filled with water and the cooling system is working as it should.

Don't have time to give more info ATM but there is bound to be lots of help and advice soon.

Nick

It should have an exhaust manifold heat exchanger and on top of this should be a water filler cap, not far away from the oil filler cap, you can top it up there. There is usually another water filler reservoir higher up, if so there will be a rubber tube leading from the exhaust heat exchanger to it.

Top up with correct water antifreeze mixture.

Here is a picture of my BMC 1,5.

DSCN1077_zps1cc2a471.jpg

The water filler (pressure cap) is the silvery one on the top of the green rectangular tank.

HTH

Nick

Thank you for the reply. I was under the impression that the engine was cooled via the main water tank at the front of the boat, which I haven't checked but there is water in the taps....am I being an idiot though? Thank you

In the nicest possible way I'm afraid you were. What on earth made you think that your engine coolant came from your domestic water tank?

In the nicest possible way I'm afraid you were. What on earth made you think that your engine coolant came from your domestic water tank?

Go easy Blackrose. The important thing here is to get him going again and teach him about boats in the process.

N

Some people have no idea about certain things, its just the way things are. I have no interest in so called smart fones to me they are kids toys and I have no idea or want to know of how their various bits work and never will. I have a friend who is in his field a renowned genius worldwide but I kid you not he cannot check his car engine/water levels or wire a 13amp plug !!

I think those of us that have boated for many years forget how green we were ourselves sometimes :cheers:

Tim

• Greenie 2

Some people have no idea about certain things, its just the way things are. I have no interest in so called smart fones to me they are kids toys and I have no idea or want to know of how their various bits work and never will. I have a friend who is in his field a renowned genius worldwide but I kid you not he cannot check his car engine/water levels or wire a 13amp plug !!

I think those of us that have boated for many years forget how green we were ourselves sometimes :cheers:

Tim

I also think it is a lack of incentive nowadays. Electricals now come with plugs fitted, cars do not need daily attention anymore, it is usually cheaper to buy a new iron than repIr a broken one.

I hate throwing away items which have repairable faults, probably due to my Yorkshire mother who had drawers full of stuff that might be useful one day.

But when you can buy a steam iron in Tesco for less than £5 what is the point of repairing? We had a food processor which needed (and kneaded) a new blade and bowl. Everything else was fine, the motor, blender, discs etc. the cost of these two items was over 75% of the original price. It was more cost effective to buy a new machine.

Hello everyone. I wonder if any of you clever people could help diagnose an event which happened last night.

I have a BMC engine and was running it to charge the batteries. I knew fuel was low so I'd recently put 11litres in to see it through the next couple of days.

It had been running fine for about 5 hours and then suddenly I heard from inside the boat what sounded like ducks pecking the sides. It wasn't loud and don't know if it's related but it stopped after a while.

Then about 20 minutes later the engine slowed and died. I went outside and was met with white smoke and a very hot engine. It was dark but I checked oil which seemed fine but I dumped a load more in and waited for things to settle. I then tried starting the engine again and after a couple of tries it started.

A few sparks shot out the exhaust but it seemed ok so I let it run on highish revs for a minute or two. Then dropped it to idle and it cut out ( which is unusual for this engine).

Now I tried to start it again and it just clunks. Doesn't turn over or anything.

Can anyone offer any advice please? I'm not a huge engine expert n I just hope it hasn't died. Many thanks.

If the oil was fine then the last thing I would have done was put more in. Are you sure you didn't over fill it?

Sorry, Bizzard got there first but good luck anyway.

Edited by fudd

And Berengaria don't overfill the engine with oil. If overfilled by a significant amount it can cause leaks, smoke, and contribute to overheating. Always read the dipstick when topping up.

It could also prevent the engine from stopping or cause runaways in certain curcumstances. I think it was Tony Brookes who recommends never filling to the full marker on the dipstick.

It could also prevent the engine from stopping or cause runaways in certain curcumstances. I think it was Tony Brookes who recommends never filling to the full marker on the dipstick.

That would depend on the engines installation angle and as the boats bows up angle increases with boat speed. If more or less level like in a vehicle top up to the normal full mark. It would have to be quite overfull to cause the possibility of a runaway, and more likely in a smokey clapped out old engine as the oil will get past the pistons more easily.

There you are Mr Berengaria. Loads of help! rolleyes.gif

If you tell us where you are someone might just be in the area and come and give you a bit of a hand.

Gotta sign out for the rest of the morning. Good luck!

Nick

I would have thought most BMCs are fine to fill to maximum oil level on the dipstick, but if you have much exceeded that I would definitely pump enough out to get it back to the maximum mark.

I rather fear this may be a cooling water issue though.

Just made me realise how idle we have becme through technology, I can remember checking, oil, water, break fluid and tyre pressure before every medium/long car journey. Now I just check that the dashboard is not lit up and set off. Off to the boat for a month tomorrow and will make sure I check all these things before we motor anywhere.

Go easy Blackrose. The important thing here is to get him going again and teach him about boats in the process.

N

:clapping:

Quite agree.

Some folk are fortunate to be 'gifted' with what's described as a mechanical mind that helps them understand most things metal that tend to rotate or reciprocate. Others, who are probably in tune with a diversity of subjects, may not have the interest or inclination towards mechanical things.

If the OP was mechanically minded, he'd probably not posted on here and we wouldn't have learnt the reason for his engine's demise.

I had a BMC 1.5 years ago that had the wrong dipstick in it, took a while to work out why such a little engine needed such a helluva lot of oil, no harm befell it but thats just the luck of the draw I suppose.

Where in the country are you? Someone local to you will probably come and have a look

Richard

Just made me realise how idle we have becme through technology, I can remember checking, oil, water, break fluid and tyre pressure before every medium/long car journey. Now I just check that the dashboard is not lit up and set off. Off to the boat for a month tomorrow and will make sure I check all these things before we motor anywhere.

I still do, and add lights to the list. No to do so is lazy.