I think my engine blew up :(

Berengaria

Featured Posts

I believe it is the anti corrosiion agents that loose their wffectivness with time not the antifreeE properties.

But I may be wrong

A friend once had a car that hadn't had its anti-freeze changed for 8 years, when the head gasket went...

The coolant was a bright orange rusty colour, but I guess must have still been able to resist frosting as it survived living outside and we had had a couple of -18 deg C winters down here at the time....

so I reckon it is the anti-corrosion that goes with time...

Nick

If the anti freeze capabilities went with time, then testing it with a hydrometer would show it weakening as time moved on. With modern anti-freezes that doesn't happen, although I guess it did with really old Methanol based ones, as what was providing the protection could evaporate. As long as you don't dilute by topping up with just water, I reckon you stay frost proof for ever.

I have always understood changing it to be because of anti-corrosion reasons, but if you have seen the orange crud inside the water jacket of some old BMCs, you might feel you were probably a bit on the late side with anti-corrosion measures!

Incidentally what is it that you've highlighted in that picture? I've got a white plastic hose attached to that bit that seems to lead to a water tank, for heating i assume? I noticed the end of the hose was damaged so I cut the end clean and reattached it...there was a metal 'sleeve' inside the engine that moved quite freely that the hose slides over...

Correct assumption, here is a photo of our BMC 1.5 with the heating system connection indicated.:-

29EngineInstalled02a.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

:clapping:

thats made me laugh.

Did it also make you laugh when BSP explained that on her boat, her water cooling does automatically fill from the water tank?!

And honestly, to quote your other thread,

There's a quite hostile, and uptight flavour to many replies, but i find most boaters are not like this at all. I guess forums just attract the gobs****s ?

What, so if you can't beat em, join em, eh? How is life in that glasshouse working out for you so far!

I've enjoyed reading this thread, and the outcome. I first read it in the wee hours just after it was posted, and was actually going to say 'never mind the oil, what kind of water cooling do you have?' But didn't, as I know feck all about engines and thought I must have missed something obvious.

Now I wish I had suggested it so I could have looked knowledgeable and intelligent and stuff :lol: , but no harm, no foul, cos I have learnt something too.

Sometimes I get so frustrated by not being able to sort out engine stuff for myself that I am tempted to go with the 'fiddle with it until you find what works' method, but never have the guts.

Well done Berengia for having a good crack and getting the right result.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

:clapping:

thats made me laugh.

Did it also make you laugh when BSP explained that on her boat, her water cooling does automatically fill from the water tank?!

And honestly, to quote your other thread,

There's a quite hostile, and uptight flavour to many replies, but i find most boaters are not like this at all. I guess forums just attract the gobs****s ?

What, so if you can't beat em, join em, eh? How is life in that glasshouse working out for you so far!

I've enjoyed reading this thread, and the outcome. I first read it in the wee hours just after it was posted, and was actually going to say 'never mind the oil, what kind of water cooling do you have?' But didn't, as I know feck all about engines and thought I must have missed something obvious.

Now I wish I had suggested it so I could have looked knowledgeable and intelligent and stuff :lol: , but no harm, no foul, cos I have learnt something too.

Sometimes I get so frustrated by not being able to sort out engine stuff for myself that I am tempted to go with the 'fiddle with it until you find what works' method, but never have the guts.

Well done Berengia for having a good crack and getting the right result.

Well put Starry, Hypocritical came to my mind as soon as I read Waterworks unhelpful and ill considered contribution.

My congratulatuions go to Berengaria, who has managed to take on board all the helpfull suggestions amd resolve the problem, whilst neatly sidestepping the comments of those people who wish to seize someone elses misfortune as an aopportunity to excercise their own warped sense of humour.

Edited by David Schweizer

Just when I was beginning to give up on these forums, (too much bitching, sniping, willy-waving, finger-pointing, personal attacks etc. etc.) along comes a thread which restores my faith somewhat. Apart from the few inevitable and seemingly unavoidable unhelpful comments, we've seen advice, encouragement, drama, ideas, humour, education, success, community & discussion.

Ron Burgundy puts it better than me: My link

and well done Berengaria!

Edited by Dave_P

Another thank you to all involved- we too are newbies (and arent mechanically minded) and have a BMC engine, so have learnt a lot from this and will definitely check if the part on ours has ballooned (and will get a spare). On our maiden voyage- the fan belt snapped, blew off the bottom skin tank hose- whilst tootling on the Trent out of Shardlow Marina- We survived, learnt something from our misfortune and continue to learn- Hopefully sometimes in the future (might be a long time for me), we'll be a lighter shade of green!!!

ps- carry spare fan belts!!!

:cheers: