Carnage At Bell Weir

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

Yello,

Unusually for The Thames, this particular lockie was as about as helpful as a hand brake on a canoe .... so I'm guessing that The EA will do nothing about these damaged craft until the river levels drop enough for the craft to float UNDER the wedged open weir gates.

That's when the fun starts for me and my boats.

Dear Mrs Tawny .. the weir is there to control the river levels only. Craft normally use the lock beside it. x

Malc. ..... still scared.

He's a bit gruff and doesn't suffer folks gladly (I assume you're talking about the Resident).

He's seen it all before and gets frustrated by boaters who don't understand much.

Well worth cultivating him - he has some interesting stories about the River.

Back on topic

The weirs being radial gates are unlikely to pass the full boat - though they might well pass debris if and when the boat breaks up. There's a cross frame along the top when the radial is fully up and as it is lowered it will act as a bucket.

I can understand why the Lockie was - possibly not very helpful - as he said there's not a lot he cour get a line onto. Working the gates on those narrow walkways is not pleasant when the River is running - and if he "put a foot wrong" (tried to help when it's not part of his job) he'd be subject to quite a serious "disciplinary" and worse if anything happened.

People should be aware that lock staff are not there to be helpfull to boaters - their job is primarily to work the River levels and navigation is a distraction. Perhaps that's why EA would like to get rid of that function and pass it to CaRT - who IMHO would be quite out of their depth (pun intended).

The Thames is something special and provides a lot of joy for boaters (who pay for the privilege) and even more who do not and it would be incredibly sad if staff were removed on the altar of "cost Saving".

Sorry to rant, but this issue needs a wider audience and I'll take any opportunity to make the point.

Let's hope levels subside soon and any further damage is minimised.

Having moored for several years on a tidal river with a faster flow at normal times than any inland river in flood my advice was sound.

If the anchor is set correctly then the debris will not hit the warp.

The initial advice was dismissed before I had the opportunity to elaborate on the technique.

How do you prevent debris from hitting the anchor warp? I've got loads of small crap around mine. If a tree came down and hit the warp that could cause a few problems.

Incidentally, today a neighbour on the other side of the river showed me a picture on his phone of a sunken narrowboat at Bell Weir Boats - just upstream from the lock. No idea how it sunk - just poor mooring and neglect I guess.

Edited by blackrose

Yello,

The Birchwood I'm guessing weighs 3 - 4 tonnes .... the weir stream current is again I'm guessing 6 -7 knots.

Here's the kicker ...... I'm moored about 350 yards down the weir stream with my 12ft fibreglass open motor boat along side my barge.

4 tonnes @ 6 - 7 knots ? .... it might be a big bump .... enough to wake me up in the night !

It also might wipe out my open boat or could cause significant damage to my barge.

Malc. :angry:

I'm sure you have insurance so nothing will happen to you. It's only uninsured boats that suffer trroubles :cheers:

He's a bit gruff and doesn't suffer folks gladly (I assume you're talking about the Resident).

He's seen it all before and gets frustrated by boaters who don't understand much.

Well worth cultivating him - he has some interesting stories about the River.

Back on topic

The weirs being radial gates are unlikely to pass the full boat - though they might well pass debris if and when the boat breaks up. There's a cross frame along the top when the radial is fully up and as it is lowered it will act as a bucket.

I can understand why the Lockie was - possibly not very helpful - as he said there's not a lot he cour get a line onto. Working the gates on those narrow walkways is not pleasant when the River is running - and if he "put a foot wrong" (tried to help when it's not part of his job) he'd be subject to quite a serious "disciplinary" and worse if anything happened.

People should be aware that lock staff are not there to be helpfull to boaters - their job is primarily to work the River levels and navigation is a distraction. Perhaps that's why EA would like to get rid of that function and pass it to CaRT - who IMHO would be quite out of their depth (pun intended).

The Thames is something special and provides a lot of joy for boaters (who pay for the privilege) and even more who do not and it would be incredibly sad if staff were removed on the altar of "cost Saving".

Sorry to rant, but this issue needs a wider audience and I'll take any opportunity to make the point.

Let's hope levels subside soon and any further damage is minimised.

all I can offer is make as many preps u can make including scaffold poles to stop u floating over the bank edge and also guiding u back down when it drops off. Make sure lines are secure and on a strong anchor point and are sprung

Yello,

Please don't get me wrong, I certainly wasn't meaning to be offensive ... the lockie and I had a pleasant 15 minute chat. Yes he's a bit gruff but obviously a very experienced chap. I suppose I was rather hoping he would have something more proactive to say regarding The EA doing something about the boats wedging their weir gates open, before breaking up and causing havoc further down the river. Not particularly the lockie on duty, but maybe an EA launch with the appropriate staff and tackle aboard to clear the boats off their weir.

Yes Blackrose .... I was told of this Bell Weir boats sinking by the lockie. That's 3 wrecks within a quarter of a mile of river ! I can't honestly understand a sinking like the narrow boat. Surely some other residents would have adjusted the ropes or provided some basic first aid to the situation ?

There's nowt as queer as folk !

Malc.

Edited by Serenity Malc

Yello,

Please don't get me wrong, I certainly wasn't meaning to be offensive ... the lockie and I had a pleasant 15 minute chat. Yes he's a bit gruff but obviously a very experienced chap. I suppose I was rather hoping he would have something more proactive to say regarding The EA doing something about the boats wedging their weir gates open, before breaking up and causing havoc further down the river. Not particularly the lockie on duty, but maybe an EA launch with the appropriate staff and tackle aboard to clear the boats off their weir.

Are you talking about Dave? Let's be honest - he's a miserable git!

Yello,

Yes I know but ... my remarks were aimed at The EA rather than just Dave. Nevertheless, he wouldn't agree to The EA doing anything about the situation regardless of the potential peril to mine and other boats downstream.

Malc.

PS. I'm glad to see that the river level has remained constant over night .... so far. :unsure:

Edited by Serenity Malc

How do you prevent debris from hitting the anchor warp?

Sink the warp.

I had a fisherman's anchor attached to 15m of chain set at 90 degrees to the boat with a free running mud weight near to the boat which would rise and fall with the water level but keep the rig below the surface so any debris (or daft boaters) could float over it without incident.

I also had a marker buoy over the anchor so boaters could see the rig location but I wouldn't bother inland as there are not likely to be any boats out in conditions that would require such a set-up.

Yello,

This is the other sunk craft at Bell Weir boats that Blackrose mentioned.

highwater268hdec2012.jpg

Apparently the owners had visited before Christmas but left the rear hatch open .... I haven't a clue how that would make the craft sink. Must have had defective bilge pumps and the neighbours must have been asleep.

Malc.

Edited by Serenity Malc

Yello,

This is the other sunk craft at Bell Weir boats that Blackrose mentioned.

highwater268hdec2012.jpg

Apparently the owners had visited before Christmas but left the rear hatch open .... I haven't a clue how that would make the craft sink. Must have had defective bilge pumps and the neighbours must have been asleep.

Malc.

Two boats I have moved recently have had switched bilge pumps, and one of these was a cruiser stern with no covers. My ahappens if the stern gland drips excessively during a cruise or you forget to grease after your cruise. What happens if water dvice to both owners was to replace with auto bilge pumps. You are not always going to remember to check for water, what gets in the engine bay in bad weather conditions or as a result of snow melt or frozen/leaf blocked drain channels etc etc.

The rear hatch is closed in the photo. Do you think someone closed it after it sank?

MtB

PS. I'm glad to see that the river level has remained constant over night .... so far. :unsure:

I think we've just got to get through this Monday's downpour and whatever river level rises come from that and we'll be ok. It looks like it might be dry for several days after that.

Sink the warp.

I had a fisherman's anchor attached to 15m of chain set at 90 degrees to the boat with a free running mud weight near to the boat which would rise and fall with the water level but keep the rig below the surface so any debris (or daft boaters) could float over it without incident.

I also had a marker buoy over the anchor so boaters could see the rig location but I wouldn't bother inland as there are not likely to be any boats out in conditions that would require such a set-up.

But surely the warp has to rise to the boat at some point? I can't help thinking that whether the warp rises gradually or at 90 degrees to the bottom it could still catch a passing tree?

Edited by blackrose

Two boats I have moved recently have had switched bilge pumps, and one of these was a cruiser stern with no covers. My ahappens if the stern gland drips excessively during a cruise or you forget to grease after your cruise. What happens if water dvice to both owners was to replace with auto bilge pumps. You are not always going to remember to check for water, what gets in the engine bay in bad weather conditions or as a result of snow melt or frozen/leaf blocked drain channels etc etc.

Also to watch out for when the flows increase the prop shaft can rotate, the gland will drip, the bilge pump may operate but this could be going on for days, battery goes flat....well you can guess the rest.

I put a small stick in to stop it rotating and a sticker on the starter to remind me.

Yello,

Agreeing with the above comments. If you don't liveaboard then an auto bilge pump is a must, together with some form of absent battery charging, ie; solar/wind/shore power. Obviously shore power is going to be the best.

I have a stern gland due for repacking and have switched bilge pumps .... but I'm always either on the boat or back to it the same day, and I'm fully aware of the bilge facilities and check them every day.

I can still not understand how all the resident boaters and staff in the boat yard didn't have the nouse to get off their butts and help out a potentially stricken craft ! .............

Je n'comprend pas !!

Malc. :unsure:

I can still not understand how all the resident boaters and staff in the boat yard didn't have the nouse to get off their butts and help out a potentially stricken craft ! .............

Je n'comprend pas !!

Sometimes when they go, they go real fast ie overnight.... or the local conditions change and force the issue.

People might not notice a slow drop of one end and all of a sudden the water level reaches a hole..exhaust, waste outlet, air intake and it's gone.

there is a narrowboat moored in a marina not far from me which had to be pumped out just before Christmas. The owners were notified weeks ago that the stern was sitting very low, but for the 3rd time this year the marina staff had to pump it out when the river level rose as the owners havn't bothered coming down. They pay a mooring fee but have not been to the boat for 5 years!!

Yello,

Agreeing with the above comments. If you don't liveaboard then an auto bilge pump is a must, together with some form of absent battery charging, ie; solar/wind/shore power. Obviously shore power is going to be the best.

I have a stern gland due for repacking and have switched bilge pumps .... but I'm always either on the boat or back to it the same day, and I'm fully aware of the bilge facilities and check them every day.

Je n'comprend pas !!

Malc. :unsure:

During novembers flooding on the fossdyke we cut the lines of a stricken narrow boat and retied it with some spare rope.

Apparently on his return he was less than pleased. If we ever have the misfortune to come across him again on our travels he will get a piece of my mind. We saved his boat from a certain sinking yet he would have rather we left it to sink. Plus he gained two rather nice new ropes!

You can't please everyone. Next time we won't bother.

Hi Yello - I'm new to boating but thought the EA had a duty to remove boats if they were a hazard or obstructing navigation? So presumably as soon as it's safe to do so they'll send their tug out to remove the boat? And in the meantime the lockie will keep the weir gates where the boats are in a position to keep them there? If the lockie's not being particulalrly helpful, phone the EA's customer helpine to make sure they're aware of the risk to your boats.

Good luck - hope it all resolves OK.

The level has dropped by about a foot on the Bell Weir to Old Windsor lock reach. Because last night was so windy my mate's uninhabited widebean smashed a wooden pole keeping it off the bank and got stuck. I didn't realise and chased out this morning for a hospital appointment and by the time I got back this afternoon it was listing badly. We eventually got it off the bank using a scaffold pole as a lever and the engine of my boat.

Edited by blackrose

The level has dropped by about a foot on the Bell Weir to Old Windsor lock reach. Because last night was so windy my mate's uninhabited widebean smashed a wooden pole keeping it off the bank and got stuck. I didn't realise and chased out this morning for a hospital appointment and by the time I got back this afternoon it was listing badly. We eventually got it off the bank using a scaffold pole as a lever and the engine of my boat.

Did you use your engine as a fulcrum for the scaffold pole lever then :lol:

Now that is dedication to the cause.. Removing your engine to help re-float a fellow boater.

Kudos to you sir.

And a happy new year.