New Job, bigger problem

Tom P

Featured Posts

On what grounds are you assuming I am a southerner? And if I were I am not being humourless, just objecting to stupidity. You simply cannot go around saying things like that and not expect a response. No where is perfect, except apparently where mrsmelly lives. I think me and my 8 million neighbours should all come and live in his town, it sounds fantastic. ;)

Who has assumed that you are a southerner?

I mentioned southerners, by way of explaining how banter works to the hard of thinking, and to the humour challenged.

I will have no truck with regional stereotypes. The residents of Yorkshire are just as capable of having no sense of humour as those in St Johns Wood.

Major flaw discovered - it's not going to be long enough - the buggers will be able to slip past through Wales and East Anglia. :unsure:

DON'T TELL 'EM ABOUT EAST ANGLIA!!!

Thanks to our marine rodent for triggering the most good-naturedly humorous page of posts I've seen on here for donkey's ages. I do hope that you see the funny side.

The whole place is a sh1t heap.The only reason it's worth constantly returning is the beer.I have noticed that mines have already been laid everywhere most evident on towpaths,they are disguised as dog sh1t but didn't fool me.Did see a local flicking a big one into the canal [probably to defuse it]with a stick,smart not to use a bayonet like they do in dads army as these modern ones are no doubt magnetic.I really do prefer to be around sh1t heaps other than the big one at London,Yorkshire being one of the better heaps in my opinion.See you in your next shi11y summer.

Hi there

I have, for a couple of years now, been living aboard my narrowboat in and around the south of England and loving every second. I have, however, just accepted my dream job in London, but dont want to give up the lifestyle. My plan initially was to cruise but not only might this be unfair to other boat users its down right inconvenant for me too, given that its a full time post. I obviously understand that coming across a mooring in London is rare, but im not even at square one! I have no idea where to even start, can anyone offer any advise for me? Im looking ideally for a pied a terre mooring, as i normally spend my weekends away.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated as i appear to be starting work in january with no base!

Thanks.

Packet Boat for a pied de terre is probably a good place to start. I was told that you can 'save up' your 'in-marina' days for winter and cruise in the summer if that's what turns you on.

We have regularly commuted into London from all sorts of places: On the GUC from Cowroast/Tring; Berkhamsted; Apsley; Watford, Uxbridge ... Brentford. On the Thames from Hampton Ct; Windsor; Henley; Reading; Pangbourne. On the K&A anywhere from Reading to Great Bedwyn. It's all do-able. BUT, two big things to know: 1) ALL the different rail services covering these various regions - especially at peak times - are equally rubbish (subject to many delays and cancellations and leaves on the tracks and staff not showing up and pulled down power cables and points failures and ...) and often very crowded; and 2) the worst part of the journey is almost invariably connecting to wherever you need to get to by tube. The tube journey can take as long as a 50 mile rail journey into London.

Yes I've clocked that

- and actually in some places it already is only a few feet high, we need a plan B

ed. and even worse if we move it will let the ruddy Scot's in from the North - can't have that...

I'll propose an effective Plan B for all comers-in then:

Three times weekly meal of Tripe, onions & vinegar

Twice weekly meal of Haslet & Piccalilli

Twice weekly meal of Mushy peas & hot pork pie

Every breakfast to be oven-bottom bun with beef dripping (with the gravy)

On what grounds are you assuming I am a southerner? And if I were I am not being humourless, just objecting to stupidity. You simply cannot go around saying things like that and not expect a response. No where is perfect, except apparently where mrsmelly lives. I think me and my 8 million neighbours should all come and live in his town, it sounds fantastic. ;)

Apparently you can go round say more or less what you like as Mrs Melly has demonstrated. And as for your 8 million compatriot city dwellers,

Offer them a nice place in the country and I would guess more than half would come and pollute the country.

And as for Mrs Melly he's a fat old ex copper who is as grumpy as toad on a lolly stick. Iced toad anyone?

Chill out its only a forum!!!

Edited by Maffi

:D You only like it because you dare not venture further. Anyway I am not in a minority, not many people live there. The population is about 8 million or 12.5 per cent of the uk population which of course means that nearly ninety per cent of us dont and never will live there and thats because its a sh one t hole :cheers:

Tim

I've been to London, I'd rather take a tramps sweaty glands to the face than go there again.

Now Glasgow, there's a beautiful city

Apparently you can go round say more or less what you like as Mrs Melly has demonstrated. And as for your 8 million compatriot city dwellers,

Offer them a nice place in the country and I would guess more than half would come and pollute the country.

And as for Mrs Melly he's a fat old ex copper who is as grumpy as toad on a lolly stick. Iced toad anyone?

Chill out its only a forum!!!

To be fair it's a rare day to meet a cockney. I moved from Dorset to London because I'd had enough of all the moaners and busy bodies but, I do seek out the greener bits of our capital, of which there are many.

Hi Tom

No job however good you think it is can be worth taking if it means living in London !! not even a 20 million pound salary is worth going there for. That is why we have the M25 to enable us all to go round it and avoid and the K and A stops at Reading enabling a left turn up the Thames thus avoiding London. The Grand union is further along for overshooters who can the again take a hard left and move off up north :cheers:

TimI

I'm with you on this. Hate the place. A bugger trying to park a coach near where you have dropped your passengers. And Hyde Park Corner? Forget it!

I disagree, I worked in Central London for two years, and the boat/cc-ing was the only thing that kept me from going mad.

Once you have an Oyster card and are prepared to purchase weekly or even monthly rail tickets, the workable c-c-ing options with less than an hours commuting stretch from Leighton Buzzard, all the way through London, to Hertford and Bishops Stortford.

A short term Winter Mooring might make sense for the first couple of months, but after that, free up and cruise away.

My wife commutes from Leighton Buzzard and will continue to do so when we move onto the boat properly on Dec 1st. 7 mins drive from Willowbridge to Leighton Buzzard Station and 35 mins to Euston. Having said that it is about £4.5k a year for the train and tube.

David

Pick a route and count the number of stops on the train route. Every stop costs you time. Try to plan a residence near a middle distance rail route.

I used to live in Welham Green, Welham Green to Kings Cross was 40 minutes on the slow all stops train. However from Hatfield or Potters Bar it was 19 and 17 minutes respectively because that was the Peterborough train only stopping at a few stations.

Look also at Thameslink! That route, if it's fully running, will take you from north to south and back with few stops and short journey times.