Help with size of inverter and how much blue do I use?

Erie Canal

Featured Posts

1. Charm is 12V 1 starter battery and 2 leisure. I will want to use a computer from time to time, but not full time; what size inverter should I have that I can have plugged into a 12 V socket, please?

2. I have apump out loo and a bottle of blue Elsan but not all the lable is on the back of the bttle. How much liquied should I be using, please and how often (clean answers only ;) ).

Thanks for your help,

1. Charm is 12V 1 starter battery and 2 leisure. I will want to use a computer from time to time, but not full time; what size inverter should I have that I can have plugged into a 12 V socket, please?

2. I have apump out loo and a bottle of blue Elsan but not all the lable is on the back of the bttle. How much liquied should I be using, please and how often (clean answers only ;) ).

Thanks for your help,

If you are only getting the inverter for the computer you may be better to get a 12 volt adapter / power supply

I don't put any blue in.

+1 on the 12v computer adapter. Don't forget it will use a few amps when charging. I think mine uses about 5A on charge.

Before I got the adapter, I used a 300W inverter plugged into a 12V socket, but I got an adapter pretty quickly.

FWIW I prefer not to use 240V stuff when there is a 12V alternative, although I do have a 2500W inverter for a few things.

I have a Thetford Cassette loo so can't comment on the blue for your loo.

Thanks for your help,

You will surely need to buy a bottle soon. Why not buy a new bottle now and read the label on the back? ..............

Putting Elsan Blue in the tank makes them stink. You're better off without it. But once it's been put in, it takes a long time for it to go and get the tank back to normal. In the meantime it will stink.

Thanks for your help,

I certainly also would't go to the expensive an inverter purely for using a PC. Assuming we are talking laptop of course, but a 12V adaptor is a much better option.

You are only going to turn 12 V into 240 V only to turn it back 'down' into a suitable voltage for your lappy. It's a waste of energy.

You can get an adapter from Maplins for yor computer . Mine has variable settings and was under £30. We use Biomagic in our loo. The blue stuff is vile. Some chandlers sell Biomagic but you can get it on line. It lasts ages and you won't need the doses it recommends once all the blue has gone.

So what kind of adapter do you need to power a laptop from the 12V supply?

I have round pin 12V sockets on my new boat. Not sure whether these are the 2 or 5amp size. How can I tell? What are the dimensions of the different types?

Could I just plug the laptop directly into one of these sockets with a suitable lead?

Phil

So what kind of adapter do you need to power a laptop from the 12V supply?

I have round pin 12V sockets on my new boat. Not sure whether these are the 2 or 5amp size. How can I tell? What are the dimensions of the different types?

Could I just plug the laptop directly into one of these sockets with a suitable lead?

Phil

You need to know what the input voltage your lappy uses, this is normally on a label on the 'brick' bit of your mains lead, and also get one with the correct tip.

As Sue referred to above - they come in versions that you can adjust the voltage and select the correct tip for you lappy.

Something like this -

eBay linky

Or you may may able to get a genuine dedicated one from your lappy manufacturer but I suspect these will be pricier.

If I recall correctly from a previous thread on here it has been said that Dell lappies can be a bit fussy about using a non Dell lead.

Make sure you match correctly with a universal one or you could damage your laptop.

Edited by The Dog House

our pump out toilet used to smell when we first bought the boat. we started using odorlos and now have no smells.

toilet blue is nasty stuff and kills all the good bacteria that helps to break stuff down in the tank.

Wot you said.

We've used odolos for three years now having tried and failed with:-

Yeast

a home made bubbler

blue (once)

Blue is nasty 'cos it's concentrated, being used nearly neat in casette loos . Our marina used to have a reed bed for its settling tanks but continued use by porta potti folks killed of all the reeds....

If you use orodlos or some other snake oil you may need to have several pump out cycles to remove all traces of blue. I reckon that orodwhatsit works out cheaper anyway.

Wot you said.

We've used odolos for three years now having tried and failed with:-

Yeast

a home made bubbler

blue (once)

Blue is nasty 'cos it's concentrated, being used nearly neat in casette loos . Our marina used to have a reed bed for its settling tanks but continued use by porta potti folks killed of all the reeds....

If you use orodlos or some other snake oil you may need to have several pump out cycles to remove all traces of blue. I reckon that orodwhatsit works out cheaper anyway.

Now we know how to remove the reeds on the canals

Hi Gibbo,

Warrior Princess-can you help?? We are looking for an alternative power whilst boating (off shoreline), we have a Victron 12/3000/120 inverter charger. We are looking at a 'suitcase' Honda 1000 (EUi). We've been advised it's not enough?? Does anyone know?

Best, in anticipation,

Warrior Princess.

What is it that you are needing to power?

Washing machine? Kettles? Hair straighteners, Photon beams?

• 2 weeks later...

Heritage Aga-240vlt fridge-Aga runs hot water and heating!

Hi :)

Not sure if you've sorted out a generator yet, but you might want to take a look at Hyundai suitcase inverter generators. They are pretty much the same as their Honda equivilents (if not better!!) and are around 40% cheaper. They can be found here. If your looking at the EU10i, it has a continuous power output of 0.9kw whereas the Hyundai HY1000Si has one of 0.95kw, more powerful and a lot cheaper! haha

Hi :)

Not sure if you've sorted out a generator yet, but you might want to take a look at Hyundai suitcase inverter generators. They are pretty much the same as their Honda equivilents (if not better!!) and are around 40% cheaper. They can be found here. If your looking at the EU10i, it has a continuous power output of 0.9kw whereas the Hyundai HY1000Si has one of 0.95kw, more powerful and a lot cheaper! haha

Can you please confirm you are not associated with the outfit you have provided a link to.

Commercial advertising is not allowed on this site, and so far you have made just two posts, both of them urging us to buy generators from this firm!

Edited by alan_fincher