Boat stuck in Cholmondeston lock (SU Middlewich branch)

Paul C

Featured Posts

On our return from a day-long trip on our boat, we arrived back at the marina to find a rather long queue of boats for the lock just beyond (around 6-7 boats). After a while (in the workshop) I noticed the queue wasn't progressing forwards). Then a C&RT van arrived at the marina and gained access to the canal side. A boat had become stuck while entering the lock going uphill, and was firmly wedged against the brickwork. We think (not sure) that another boater had already helped trying to tow them out, and by this time quite a queue had developed. C&RT used their winch to pull the boat and it wasn't long before the boat was free.

It seems that the boat had just been purchased and was on a long trip from Manchester to London, and that it had been overplated recently. The overplating of the base plate had been done but too large an edge had been left on the metal, making it over 7' wide at the bottom. They'd not had an issue with other locks, until they came up against this particularly narrow one....

When we left, boats were finally using the lock as normal again, but were now queueing as far as the eye can see. We saw at least 12 queueing in one direction, and heard of the queue being 17 boats long

....Pics to follow.

On our return from a day-long trip on our boat, we arrived back at the marina to find a rather long queue of boats for the lock just beyond (around 6-7 boats). After a while (in the workshop) I noticed the queue wasn't progressing forwards). Then a C&RT van arrived at the marina and gained access to the canal side. A boat had become stuck while entering the lock going uphill, and was firmly wedged against the brickwork. We think (not sure) that another boater had already helped trying to tow them out, and by this time quite a queue had developed. C&RT used their winch to pull the boat and it wasn't long before the boat was free.

It seems that the boat had just been purchased and was on a long trip from Manchester to London, and that it had been overplated recently. The overplating of the base plate had been done but too large an edge had been left on the metal, making it over 7' wide at the bottom. They'd not had an issue with other locks, until they came up against this particularly narrow one....

When we left, boats were finally using the lock as normal again, but were now queueing as far as the eye can see. We saw at least 12 queueing in one direction, and heard of the queue being 17 boats long

....Pics to follow.

Same thing at Napton yesterday with an old GU motorised butty at Shuts bridge.

it is a good lock for getting stuck in.

Indeed - A few yrs ago we got stuck going down when a 2 fenders dropped of the Gunwhale , ok after refilling lock & removing ! (Levels were lower that summmer) although we had no probs in Hurleston when 1 had dropped!

We use Narrow fenders on the cruiser now on Narrowbeam locks ! (No probs on this yrs trip narrowbeam thru the Ashton , Peak forest , Macc & T&M)

I've been stuck in that lock when one fender had decided to roll off...Wedged in like a cork in a wine bottle....It took lots of butch onlookers to pull the the boat out..after a number of other butch boaters were invited on board to weigh down the opposite side.....Happy days! captain.gif

I've been stuck in that lock when one fender had decided to roll off...Wedged in like a cork in a wine bottle....It took lots of butch onlookers to pull the the boat out..after a number of other butch boaters were invited on board to weigh down the opposite side.....Happy days! captain.gif

Roll off what ? The gunwale ? The roof ?

Possible lesson to be learned there! :lol:

I know the boat.

It's spent the last 10 years on the Leeds & Liverpool and the Bridgewater, so obviously no problems with width there.

Why are they going that way to London, from Lymm? Not the most direct route...

Honestly WHAT are you doing with side fenders on a NB anyway? What IS the point??

It is to look naff and create more drag so you use more diesel. You are then boasting that you are a wealthy boater as well as stupid

I would beg to differ. When I'm moored I use fenders because other wise the boat bangs against the metal rail on the side ... however when boating...no.

I would beg to differ. When I'm moored I use fenders because other wise the boat bangs against the metal rail on the side ... however when boating...no.

Don’t be too bothered Tafelberg, Sueb’s vitriolic comments are like the cuckoo’s heralding of Spring only here she heralds the coming of Canalworld winter! When some boaters get bored, they get nasty.

Joshua

Can i call for people to be judicious in their quoting of the OP... repetition of lots of photos does slow connections and stretched FUPs no good!

No I don't believe it actually does.......

Your browser should cache the pictures only once, no matter how many times they are displayed in a thread.

Scrolling through them may indeed be a pain, but they shouldn't actually be being downloaded multple timwa, should they ?

Honestly WHAT are you doing with side fenders on a NB anyway? What IS the point??

Don't you use them when moored, though Mike ?

If not what are those things attached to weights on your boat actually there for ?

Nowt wrong in my opinion with putting something between you and the side when tied up - just don't leave them there when you move off!

I think the thing is, fenders on mudweights like Reg has can't just roll off the side cos of the 'slightly raised sides of the tug deck' (it's not a technical term... the name escapes me... cants?!) and most of us that have side fenders deployed from the roof can't roll off because of the handrail, whereas fenders secured along bolts on the gunnels as pipe fenders often seem to be have nothing to keep them from rolling off randomly, which I guess generally doesn't cause a problem but occasionally does!

Edited by Starcoaster

Don’t be too bothered Tafelberg, Sueb’s vitriolic comments are like the cuckoo’s heralding of Spring only here she heralds the coming of Canalworld winter! When some boaters get bored, they get nasty.

Joshua

Thanks for that. I didn't realise my comments came over as vitriolic! To me it was a light hearted comment. Maybe I need tuition in stating the difference.