Day Boaters !!! Don't you just love them ?

Titus

Featured Posts

Shock News just in.Silsden widebeam hire boat manages to topple swing bridge completely off it's mounting,yesterday 18/08/2012.CART now considering pressing charges for vandalism against crew of said boat.An altercation between two boat crews may have been contributing factor.Boats held up in the area of Niffany Bridge,Skipton.Large crane seen in the area.Witnesses claim to have seen the boats on full throttle and heading directly for the swing bridge with much laughter emanating from the boat crews.Severe damage to boats is claimed.CaRT representatives on the scene.On a further note my boat was hit last night in the dark by intoxicated day boat hirers.I helped them along( as many of you would) the side of my boat by using buckets of canal water aimed specifically at the steerer and an offensive little sh#t who was stood on top of the boat shouting obscenities.I believe she thought we were in the way.We moor in a wharfe by the way,that's a type of layby.More news to come I am sure.

And Pennine Trip Boats have added day boats to their fleet.It can be very busy just here and FECKIN DANGEROUS.Now leave me alone you bullies I have some late day trippers coming,I can hear the sound of engines screaming in the distance.Mother where's mi bucket!!!?

Damn. You do have a sense of humour :cheers:

Must say it would annoy me getting hit by them so often too

We me a day boat out of Wootten Wowen a couple of years going towards Stratford. They had just got to odd lock (their first one) when we met them. I wandered up to chat as you do. All fine no problem with them working the lock.

All was fine till the boat started to descend, and the small girl (maybe 5 or 6) on board got very upset, she thought the boat was sinking :o

Soon convinced otherwise, but I suppose it must be quite frightening when you're that age and start to go below ground level!

Sue

A certain company who we hired from on our maiden boat holiday dont give enough, if any tuition after been in the vicinity of one their boats from Foulridge to Skipton. We had to help them out on numerous occasions. I asked them basic questions and they said they had NOT been told owt. He said he learnt more from me in 5 mins then what he had been told from handover. This hire company is owned and run by a CaRT member!!

I suspect you are talking about Shire Cruisers as they have boats based at Foulridge? I really find it very hard to believe that they hadn't been given full tuition, as we regularly meet up and share with their boats as we're doing the locks at Greenberfield during our handovers. We've hired from them on several occasions, and even despite knowing our experience, we are still given a proper and thorough handover.

Janet

We me a day boat out of Wootten Wowen a couple of years going towards Stratford. They had just got to odd lock (their first one) when we met them. I wandered up to chat as you do. All fine no problem with them working the lock.

All was fine till the boat started to descend, and the small girl (maybe 5 or 6) on board got very upset, she thought the boat was sinking :o

Soon convinced otherwise, but I suppose it must be quite frightening when you're that age and start to go below ground level!

Sue

We saw a day boat full of elderly ladies there, one with her leg in plaster so I was a bit worried how they would get on at the lock. It turned out they were all members of something, can't remember what, but one of them lived on a boat so she was taking them all out for the day, it had been arranged for months and then she broke a leg. The trip was booked so went ahead with the boater with a broken leg barking orders at all the none boaters that made up the rest of the party.

But they did thank me for my concern

Shock News just in.Silsden widebeam hire boat manages to topple swing bridge completely off it's mounting,yesterday 18/08/2012.CART now considering pressing charges for vandalism against crew of said boat.An altercation between two boat crews may have been contributing factor.Boats held up in the area of Niffany Bridge,Skipton.Large crane seen in the area.Witnesses claim to have seen the boats on full throttle and heading directly for the swing bridge with much laughter emanating from the boat crews.Severe damage to boats is claimed.CaRT representatives on the scene.On a further note my boat was hit last night in the dark by intoxicated day boat hirers.I helped them along( as many of you would) the side of my boat by using buckets of canal water aimed specifically at the steerer and an offensive little sh#t who was stood on top of the boat shouting obscenities.I believe she thought we were in the way.We moor in a wharfe by the way,that's a type of layby.More news to come I am sure.

This reminds me of why we sold our first boat on The Broads and moved to the Fens, we put up with appalling behaviour for 10 years but each year it got worse, I have to say it is only a minority but they are the ones you remember, on each of the 3 occasions that we had our boat and dinghy damaged the Hire companies came good but that is not the point afterall nobody would happily accept their car being rammed and then garaged for repair, they would in fact be more than a tad upset.

I recall one couple who were really nice who crushed my dinghy (the only means of getting to and from our mooring) they told me the amount of instruction they were given was pretty much zero and following the collision on their first day they promptly turned round and returned the boat.

Regarding the swing bridge, it was not uncommon for hirers to ignore instruction to use Bridge Pilot, (free to hirers) and attempt to pass under Wroxham bridge and take the top of the boat, this was relayed to me by my pal who was the Bridge pilot at Wroxham.

I agree that everyone has to start somewhere and I accept that most hirers want to find acceptance and have a good time, it is just the minority who think they know best and have no regard for other peoples property (boat) or that there bad behaviour impinges on many peoples lives. Sadly that's the world we live in today

Phil

Edited to add, The Broads are, I believe, the only waterway that has a dedicated Police team which operates during the holiday season, they use a RIB powered by 2 X 75hp outboards and boy can it shift, they are kept very busy with all the Stag and Hen parties plus the boats with 10 or more lads onboard.

We never cruised from June to end of September, it just was not worth the hassle.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Phil

Edited to add, The Broads are, I believe, the only waterway that has a dedicated Police team which operates during the holiday season, they use a RIB powered by 2 X 75hp outboards and boy can it shift, they are kept very busy with all the Stag and Hen parties plus the boats with 10 or more lads onboard.

We never cruised from June to end of September, it just was not worth the hassle.

Phil

I think I'm right in saying that Lake windermere has a police team and a dedicated lake warden. The lake wardens launch has a marine volvo V8 and having been on that I can vouch it doesn't take long to reach any part of the lake....

And Pennine Trip Boats have added day boats to their fleet.It can be very busy just here and FECKIN DANGEROUS.Now leave me alone you bullies I have some late day trippers coming,I can hear the sound of engines screaming in the distance.Mother where's mi bucket!!!?

Well if it is so bad where you are moored you can always sail away..!!

Well if it is so bad where you are moored you can always sail away..!!

That will happen of course at some point when the Doc says pack yer job in Ian it's killing yer,however I have business at this yard to finish.Hope that answers you in full sir. :banghead:

I agree that everyone has to start somewhere

God knows what that chap we shared a lock with at Gloucester Docks must have thought, when my boat touched his ever so slightly and I apologized and then said "everyone has to start somewhere haven't they?" just before we decended on to the tidal river Severn.

:unsure:

I bet he thought we were a right set of nut jobs..

Try and get your facts right will you, the SILSDEN boat never hit the bridge nor was it damaged it was the other boat..!! No damage was done to the other boat either, but then that would spoil a good "lets knock the hire boats" story.

I hate when that happens

Especially when I'm on the tiller lol

Funny how it never happens in open country with no audience

Well not when I did it lol

My late wife used to ask when I fell in off 'Vesta'why I did it when onlookers were standing around with cameras?

Wish I was still doing it.

Try and get your facts right will you, the SILSDEN boat never hit the bridge nor was it damaged it was the other boat..!! No damage was done to the other boat either, but then that would spoil a good "lets knock the hire boats" story.

Aaah I was wondering where the stoppage notice was....

My late wife used to ask when I fell in off 'Vesta'why I did it when onlookers were standing around with cameras?

Wish I was still doing it.

But you must have some fantastic memories :)

And yes. There's always a camera

Even worse now with those mobile phones everyone has