Day Boaters !!! Don't you just love them ?

Titus

Featured Posts

Don't you just love cruising down the canal meeting other boaters !!!!!!

Especially ones that could possibly be new to the task.

And yes, before anyone asks, I DID go and help them and point them in the right direction and give them a few tips.

Scad436.jpg

Wasn't there a picture on another thread of a ex working boat in BW colours named after a fish in a similar position?

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48675&pid=906856&st=0entry906856

Involved a flowing river though.

Quote "There but for the grace of God go I".

indeed :captain:

not exclusive to day boaters/hirers :banghead:

It most certainly isn't exclusive to day boaters. I got stuck there in exactly the same circumstances, even the same way round. I was in a hire boat though, one of Pennine Cruiser's boats. I don't know how windy it was that day it happened to those people but when it happened to me it was a fairly windy day. I was in a small boat as well, 27 footer, and the wind, which I believe gets funneled at that point, just took my back end. Rudder hit the concrete edge and whipped the tiller hard over very nearly taking me with it and that was it I was stuck fast.

Pete

It most certainly isn't exclusive to day boaters. I got stuck there in exactly the same circumstances, even the same way round. I was in a hire boat though, one of Pennine Cruiser's boats. I don't know how windy it was that day it happened to those people but when it happened to me it was a fairly windy day. I was in a small boat as well, 27 footer, and the wind, which I believe gets funneled at that point, just took my back end. Rudder hit the concrete edge and whipped the tiller hard over very nearly taking me with it and that was it I was stuck fast.

Pete

aahhh we ALL blame the wind, it's our best friend when we make a cockup :P

Well it IS usually the female steerers who do it....

:ninja:

Mike

OI, i didn't know you were so purfect :rolleyes:

Oh Dear, as someone has already said, there but for the grace of God. I'm a novice and will be hiring a widebeam on the L & L in the near future. :help: I hope I don't end up in a similar predicament. Whereabouts is this bit so I know to watch out for it? I have already been warned about the wind and swing bridges.

Oh Dear, as someone has already said, there but for the grace of God. I'm a novice and will be hiring a widebeam on the L & L in the near future. :help: I hope I don't end up in a similar predicament. Whereabouts is this bit so I know to watch out for it? I have already been warned about the wind and swing bridges.

This is in the middle of Skipton just next to the water point and yes the wind can catch you near this point (actually just after) but they didn't blame the wind they just said they didn't know what to do.

Dave

Is the dayboat freely floating (just at a right angle to the direction of travel) or is it wedged tight against the wall and the moored boat?

No, it was floating, they said they didn't know what to do so I got on the back and sorted it for them, we saw them later in the day and they said they'd had a great day !!!!!

:rolleyes:

Don't you just love cruising down the canal meeting other boaters !!!!!!

Especially ones that could possibly be new to the task.

And yes, before anyone asks, I DID go and help them and point them in the right direction and give them a few tips.

Scad436.jpg

I saw that picture and all I could think of is what is that crane doing?

Going off an a slight tangent you can JUST wind a 55 footer in the 50 foot winding hole at Marsden Dole on the Oxford. I did it yesterday and I was disproportionately chuffed. (I think avoiding 4 locks at 7.30 pm solo had something to do with it)

Frank

You're living dangerously, may I point out Starry's tag line: "That which doesn't kill me... Better start running."

This Company may be of assistance: http://www.adidas.co...g&start=0&sz=24 :rolleyes:

Thanks for your concern but her shower is still not finished. I think I'm safe until at least then :D

Mike

Going off an a slight tangent you can JUST wind a 55 footer in the 50 foot winding hole at Marsden Dole on the Oxford. I did it yesterday and I was disproportionately chuffed. (I think avoiding 4 locks at 7.30 pm solo had something to do with it)

Frank

Agreed. The signs are usually ridiculously conversative. I've successfully winded Aldebaran (68ft) several times in winding holes marked "50ft Max", or "55ft Max". I'm not sure CRT would not be particularly sympathetic if I got the boat stuck though.

I'd have thought all winding holes were good for 72ft originally, however!

Mike

No, it was floating, they said they didn't know what to do so I got on the back and sorted it for them, we saw them later in the day and they said they'd had a great day !!!!!

:rolleyes:

This photo shows exactly the point I have made before.Who the hell is giving instruction to these hirers,NOBODY!!,my boat is moored a few hundred yards away,I have been hit on numerous occasions.None of the boats stop and check damage they just think it is fun and not to forget alot of these hirers are drunk.

This photo shows exactly the point I have made before.Who the hell is giving instruction to these hirers,NOBODY!!,my boat is moored a few hundred yards away,I have been hit on numerous occasions.None of the boats stop and check damage they just think it is fun and not to forget alot of these hirers are drunk.

Yeah. I noticed how she was having to hold on to the tiller and the guy was pewking over the side

Just wonder who gives instructions to the non hirers that get things wrong?

Can't wait till I own my own boat

Over night my chances of getting things wrong will disappear.

Edited by wannabe

You can't really blame the hire boat companies in isolation. The day trip boat, with a supposedly professional skipper, at Trevor basin spends most if its life banging into other boats.

By the look of the water surface it looks a tad windy to me, and if it has been as windy in Skipton as it has here I reckon they've had the mis fortune to get caught out while some with a camera was close by.

Glad you helped 'em out....

Even though you may have no experience of handling a boat, I would have thought that common sense may come into play.

The last place that I would think of turning a boat in a tight situation is where other boats could be damaged.

Last year I needed to turn round on the S&W to get the dog to the vets. It would have been possible to wind in the entrance to Stafford Boat Club, but it was a windy day & boats were moored just inside. Didn't take the chance & winded further on, adding about an hour to the trip.

I'm not sure if they're actually turning the boat (intentionally), or if they just lost control somewhat and ended up wedged across the cut...

My thoughts too - there is a much easier place to wind a boat neraby, Springs Branch, where I once ballsed up in the wind too... :rolleyes: