Day Boaters !!! Don't you just love them ?

Titus

Featured Posts

The problem is, your hire firm is in the minority here. Our experience is that they don't provide nearly so much time, no more than the absolute minimum necessary. My experience is that they will accompany a new (never driven a boat) hirer for about 1/2 hour - 1 hour at the most, but they rely on the handover day being not too busy (ie not that many boats going out that day) and about 50% of hirers being experienced already.

Can I ask, how many hire boats in your fleet, and do you stagger then handover days or have just the one day to do it? If so, what's the max number of boats which will go out at the same time?

There is an obligation on those hiring the boats to do their home work too.

The canal is in Skipton,it is not the Suez canal.I can therefore tell if they are intoxica....drunk or not,they usually have a can in their hand and swerving towards my boat. :cheers:

Wow. Thanks for the history/geography lesson

Didn't know Suez was the drunk boaters capital of the canal world.

I've been to Skipton on a lot of occasions. Some camping (my own tent) some on a hire boat Enjoyed every minute of it.

Damn. I forgot to bring any cans though

btw. I'm not deaf. I heard you the first time you called me a prat. No need to shout.

The vast majority of hire boaters do try and get it right and are responsible. As are most boat owners too

Some more understandable and forgiving as others of course

Bet you hate people in rented homes too

It is indeed a rubber strip, and very well it works too! I can personally vouch for that after having taken Grace out for a long weekend recently. Much tidier than a tatty button and works every time...

As for hire boaters? Well don't get me started! We provide between two and four hours of intensive training and lock working for our hire boats, but it really wouldn't be practical to provide that level of tuition for a day boat where time is of the essence.

I have absolutely no doubt that all the companies hiring day boats around the Skipton area do their very best to provide basic training, but given that it's a day hire, there's only so much time you can take...

Yes, they are going to make mistakes...the one in the initial post was only yards from the hire base and in a notoriously windy spot...give them a break!

I well remember our first trip getting to grips with steering a narrowboat. It's very easy to look at new hirers and laugh, but can you not remember your learning curve?

Janet

Janet,you have very few hire boats to deal with.From what I hear you do a terrific job and are very diligent.However that cannot be said for a certain company in Silsden.

Wow. Thanks for the history/geography lesson

Didn't know Suez was the drunk boaters capital of the canal world.

I've been to Skipton on a lot of occasions. Some camping (my own tent) some on a hire boat Enjoyed every minute of it.

Damn. I forgot to bring any cans though

btw. I'm not deaf. I heard you the first time you called me a prat. No need to shout.

The vast majority of hire boaters do try and get it right and are responsible. As are most boat owners too

Some more understandable and forgiving as others of course

Bet you hate people in rented homes too

You are being a prat again,now go away.

Janet,you have very few hire boats to deal with.From what I hear you do a terrific job and are very diligent.However that cannot be said for a certain company in Silsden.

Silsden boats have the problem that they are not within a reasonable distance from locks.

CBE, Pennine cruisers and Snaygill are within striking distance of locks.

Tuition in manoeuvring a boat in all situations like the one encountered in the OP is not possible unless the yards massively increase staffing levels and thus costs and then price themselves out of business.

There is an obligation on those hiring the boats to do their home work too.

I agree with this wholeheartedly but there is only so much you can get from a boaters handbook or similar. There really is no substitute for practical experience and everyone has to start somewhere! It's very unfortunate if there are lots of moored boats shortly after a hire base. With the best will in the world, unless newbie hirers are chaperoned past them there are bound to be some errors.

Silsden boats have the problem that they are not within a reasonable distance from locks.

Tuition in manoeuvring a boat in all situations like the one encountered in the OP is not possible unless the yards massively increase staffing levels and thus costs and then price themselves out of business.

We've hired from Snaygill. Excellent service and can't fault them on lock tuition

As for being caught off gaurd like the photo

There but for the grace.... as they say

Been there before lol

When you get a boat of your very own,come and moor it in sunny Skipton for a weekend and have your paintwork ruined,rudder knocked off it's skeg and yer windows broken by the hirers pushing their hire boats off your pride and joy.I would like to see some sort of tuition before they sent out on their trips of horror.STOP BEING A PRAT.

Perhaps those last 4 words could apply to you, also.

As has been said at least twice in this thread (post#7 and post#33) the wind caused this "problem", not some perceived victimisation of you.

Perhaps those last 4 words could apply to you, also.

As has been said at least twice in this thread (post#7 and post#33) the wind caused this "problem", not some perceived victimisation of you.

I think you should read the posts again,it was not the wind that caused the boat to veer across the canal,it was not windy that day.I do not feel victimised just traumatised by the impacts the boat has had to endure.I say again a short journey with an employee giving tuition would end the mayhem that boaters in this area have to suffer.

Edited by bowten

Has to be said, there's some daft permanent mooring spots around. For example, those really close to a bridge which requires a well-judged tight turn just before or after the bridge, and create problems if boats meet at/near the bridge. Or the one at Middlewich junction, just after a low bridge and just before the junction for the Wardle canal (I nicknamed it "world's worst mooring"); or the one at the top of Bunbury staircase (you need to do a slight turn out the lock anyway, and this one is 2 boat's lengths away from the lock so if there's a queue going down, you're forced to brest up against it.

Edited by Paul C

The problem is, your hire firm is in the minority here. Our experience is that they don't provide nearly so much time, no more than the absolute minimum necessary. My experience is that they will accompany a new (never driven a boat) hirer for about 1/2 hour - 1 hour at the most, but they rely on the handover day being not too busy (ie not that many boats going out that day) and about 50% of hirers being experienced already.

Can I ask, how many hire boats in your fleet, and do you stagger then handover days or have just the one day to do it? If so, what's the max number of boats which will go out at the same time?

Paul,

There are currently 7 boats in the CBE fleet and I can assure you that our handovers last much longer than 1/2 - 1 hour! I can only vouch for the handover on the Saturdays, as that's the only day I work, but I'm sure the procedure is the same for all days. You really can't conduct a safe and efficient handover in that time unless it's a returning guest who is familiar with the boat and the procedures for safe boating. We don't take anything for granted!

When the guests arrive, we give them time to stow their luggage etc, then they are given a thorough walk through of the boat...starting at the stern, we go through it in a logical order...weed hatch, stern gland greaser, bilge pump etc, safety procedures (man overboard etc) before a walk through of the boat where we go through the actual workings...heating, fridge, inverter, gas/water cut off etc.

We then have about 3/4 hour cruise to the locks during which they are instructed on steering the boat, canal etiquette and we welcome any and all questions. Normally it doesn't take too long before they get to grips with how to steer and by the time they get to the locks they are pretty proficient with it and know what is required of them to enjoy their holiday whilst being considerate of other canal users.

Upon arriving at the first lock, we either instruct or supervise, depending on their previous experience. We ensure that they know how to pull up and moor safely and give guidance for mooring/tying ropes etc. If they are new to boating, then they get intensive tuition on locks and how to work them safely and efficiently. If they show themselves to be competent, knowledgeable and we are sure that they know what they are doing, then we will sign them off and let them get on their way after the first lock....if they need more instruction/help then we will accompany them through a further two locks and continue to supervise and give advice until we are sure that they are comfortable and confident with both the boat and the locks.

This can take up to four hours and indeed has done on several occasions, but it is time well spent.

Janet

I think you should read the posts again,it was not the wind that caused the boat to veer across the canal,it was not windy that day.I do not feel victimised just traumatised by the impacts the boat has had to endure.I say again a short journey with an employee giving tuition would end the mayhem that boaters in this area have to suffer.

Perhaps you could enlighten us on the actual reason for the boat veering across the canal?

Snaygill boats and Pennine Cruisers owners or employees drive to the first lock at Gargrave and give tuition.I am sorry to go on about this but unless you are a boat owner in this area I am not sure anyone,not just you can have any real idea what it is like.

Perhaps you could enlighten us on the actual reason for the boat veering across the canal?

ER DOH! :banghead:

Paul,

There are currently 7 boats in the CBE fleet and I can assure you that our handovers last much longer than 1/2 - 1 hour! I can only vouch for the handover on the Saturdays, as that's the only day I work, but I'm sure the procedure is the same for all days. You really can't conduct a safe and efficient handover in that time unless it's a returning guest who is familiar with the boat and the procedures for safe boating. We don't take anything for granted!

When the guests arrive, we give them time to stow their luggage etc, then they are given a thorough walk through of the boat...starting at the stern, we go through it in a logical order...weed hatch, stern gland greaser, bilge pump etc, safety procedures (man overboard etc) before a walk through of the boat where we go through the actual workings...heating, fridge, inverter, gas/water cut off etc.

We then have about 3/4 hour cruise to the locks during which they are instructed on steering the boat, canal etiquette and we welcome any and all questions. Normally it doesn't take too long before they get to grips with how to steer and by the time they get to the locks they are pretty proficient with it and know what is required of them to enjoy their holiday whilst being considerate of other canal users.

Upon arriving at the first lock, we either instruct or supervise, depending on their previous experience. We ensure that they know how to pull up and moor safely and give guidance for mooring/tying ropes etc. If they are new to boating, then they get intensive tuition on locks and how to work them safely and efficiently. If they show themselves to be competent, knowledgeable and we are sure that they know what they are doing, then we will sign them off and let them get on their way after the first lock....if they need more instruction/help then we will accompany them through a further two locks and continue to supervise and give advice until we are sure that they are comfortable and confident with both the boat and the locks.

This can take up to four hours and indeed has done on several occasions, but it is time well spent.

Janet

Wow! Staff/boat ratio at your place must be really high to be able to do that. Its the right thing to do, but as has been already said, if every hire firm did this then they'd have immense staffing issues on busy handover days. I guess that's the advantage of a small (7 boats?) fleet though.

Snaygill boats and Pennine Cruisers owners or employees drive to the first lock at Gargrave and give tuition.I am sorry to go on about this but unless you are a boat owner in this area I am not sure anyone,not just you can have any real idea what it is like.

We have hired from Snaygill so are aware of that.

Our experience of boating through Skipton as a Silsden hirer is being shouted at to 'slow down' by an angry lady from a moored boat who clearly made shouting at hire boat crews boats an occupation.

Our experience of boating through Skipton as a Silsden hirer is being shouted at to 'slow down' by an angry lady from a moored boat who clearly made shouting at hire boat crews boats an occupation.

Funny you should mention that.

That happened to us too and we were almost in neutral

Yet most of the "fast" boats that pass us when moored are private?

Think it's time for a little bit give and take from all canal users (not just boaters either btw)

:smiley_offtopic:

"Or the one at Middlewich junction, just after a low bridge and just before the junction for the Wardle canal (I nicknamed it "world's worst mooring")"

Well now, I think thats my house mooring you are refering to (next to Bridge 169 ?) which in fact & at great expence is actually totally off the line of the canal ! It was dug out of the garden by the previous house owner & fairly recently refurbished. So as its a lay by what is wrong with it ??

That would be Julie I think,a person held in great regard by all liveaboards in this community.Her occupation is one of looking after the old and infirmed and as lived on her boat for many years.Yes she has become increasingly alarmed at the antics of some boaters in the last few years.

That would be Julie I think,a person held in great regard by all liveaboards in this community.Her occupation is one of looking after the old and infirmed and as lived on her boat for many years.Yes she has become increasingly alarmed at the antics of some boaters in the last few years.

So much so she yells at boats to slow down even when they are not speeding...a good ambassador for Skipton...

Wow! Staff/boat ratio at your place must be really high to be able to do that. Its the right thing to do, but as has been already said, if every hire firm did this then they'd have immense staffing issues on busy handover days. I guess that's the advantage of a small (7 boats?) fleet though.

I can't really comment on staffing issues...all I know is that when I do a handover, I normally do it with just one boat/crew and that demands my utmost attention. Very occasionally I may be asked to do two boats at a time, but each one gets an individual walk through of their own boat to ensure they are fully conversant with all the controls etc. before I supervise both boats through the locks to ensure safe working practice and competency.

Staffing levels don't really come into it...what does matter is to make sure that every guest has individual tuition, tailored to their experience to ensure that they have the best holiday and we have the least problems!

Janet

So much so she yells at boats to slow down even when they are not speeding...a good ambassador for Skipton...

I reckon she knows if a boat is speeding or not after all she is a very good boater with many years and miles of canal boating.If she asks a steerer to slow down that boat was speeding!Yes a very good ambassador for Skipton and for the canals.She is also highly regarded by what was known as B.W.

Edited by bowten

I reckon she knows if a boat is speeding or not after all she is a very good boater with many years and miles of canal boating.If she asks a steerer to slow down that boat was speeding!Yes a very good ambassador for Skipton and for the canals.She is also highly regarded by what was known as B.W.

Sorry but we weren't though - we were on tickover as we passed - she simply saw a purple boat coming from Silsden way and thought she would have a moan.

I can't really comment on staffing issues...all I know is that when I do a handover, I normally do it with just one boat/crew and that demands my utmost attention. Very occasionally I may be asked to do two boats at a time, but each one gets an individual walk through of their own boat to ensure they are fully conversant with all the controls etc. before I supervise both boats through the locks to ensure safe working practice and competency.

Staffing levels don't really come into it...what does matter is to make sure that every guest has individual tuition, tailored to their experience to ensure that they have the best holiday and we have the least problems!

Janet

I must say Janet that I have never encountered any problems with your hirers they all seem very courteous and happy with their experience.Which is what I have been trying to say all night,tuition.

Sorry but we weren't though - we were on tickover as we passed - she simply saw a purple boat coming from Silsden way and thought she would have a moan.

Purple.Hells bells I wouldn't hire a purple boat,had yer been drinkin :captain:

Purple.Hells bells I wouldn't hire a purple boat,had yer been drinkin :captain:

What colour then burgundy??

Whatever the colour - it left a sour taste to be shouted at like that - coming back the other way I was briefly tempted to give it the gun as we passed her again but resisted...