weird boat

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Why oh why can't these people learn to spell!!

Hi

Probably because they have a life and realise spelling is total trivia. It will not enrich their life nor lengthen it nor will it make their life any more fulfilled. The english language being what it is I found it very easy to understand every word instantly without any problem.

Tim

• Greenie 1

Possibly Tim, but it really doesn't take that much effort to at least get an advert correct.

I know a lot of people are put off by this sort of thing, so potentially he is loosing some of his possible customer base.

Careful....you'll " loose" some of your readers, or possibly worse, attract pedants!

Possibly Tim, but it really doesn't take that much effort to at least get an advert correct.

I know a lot of people are put off by this sort of thing, so potentially he is loosing some of his possible customer base.

Hi Graham

Not having a go at you individualy. There are one or two members who do slate quite often some peoples poor spelling and/or punctuation.

People are all different and some are good at one thing but not another. He may be a brilliant electrician for instance, but probably doesnt expect every body to be the same. Spelling is just one of many lifes skills and nobody is good or indeed wants to spend time being perfect at everything. Got to agree the boats not my cup of tea, but there again someone will like it. A bloke at Stanly ferry is fitting one out. :cheers:

Tim

Hi Graham

Not having a go at you individualy. There are one or two members who do slate quite often some peoples poor spelling and/or punctuation.

People are all different and some are good at one thing but not another. He may be a brilliant electrician for instance, but probably doesnt expect every body to be the same. Spelling is just one of many lifes skills and nobody is good or indeed wants to spend time being perfect at everything. Got to agree the boats not my cup of tea, but there again someone will like it. A bloke at Stanly ferry is fitting one out. :cheers:

Tim

And don't get me started on punctuation........:rolleyes:

Nothing "mentalist" about it at all, its a free fall lifeboat being converted. May look odd to those who have never seen one. All very high quality equipment on board too.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Tim,

No problem; it wasn't taken personally.

My point is, which would you prefer to read:

hi here we have a ex oil rig free fall life boat approx 12 yrs old never used apart from sea trails.it has a 40hp lister sabb engine thrull gear box ,keel coold less than 25hrs running .it has anew vetus wet exaust never used.I have been converting this boat for two years but ill heal forces sale.all the work carried out isto the highest standard.It comes with new vetus port lights,lewmar free fall windless anchor rode and chain,25kg anchore,stainlessconnectors all new and fitted,new windows,more stainless and alloy fitting than I can mention,forks tube hydrolic steering 3 gell 850wat batteris 2chargers 240 to 42volt transformer new built for the boat,steering vaulve pipes cabals ect to much to mention,all the following is new and still boxed,vhf two station withAIS ,northstar 12in touch screen GPS chart plotter, sonar 1000wat transducer ,radar broad band,saterlite tele with free vew ,and more.honwave 2.7 air hull tender 5hp honda 4sroke boat cover engine cover tender travel wheels anchore, chain&rode for tender. anti fouling paint and lots more.please ring me for moor imformation 07919370863 . colection only.

OR:

Hi. Here we have an ex-oil rig, free-fall life boat. Approx 12 years old and never used apart for sea trials.

It has a 40hp Lister Sabb engine and Thrull gear box. It is keel cooled with less than 25hrs running. It has a new Vetus wet exhaust which has never been used.

I have been converting this boat for two years but ill health forces the sale. All the work carried out is to the highest standard.

It comes with new Vetus port lights, Lewmar free fall windless anchor, rope and chain, a 25kg anchor with stainless steel connectors. New windows with more stainless and alloy fitting than I can mention.

Forks tube hydraulic steering.

3 gell 850watt batteries.

2 chargers.

240 to 42volt transformer newly built for the boat.

Steering valve, pipes cables etc too much to mention.

All the following is new and still boxed;

vhf two station radio with AIS,

Northstar 12in touch screen GPS chart plotter,

sonar 1000wat transducer,

radar broad band,

satellite tele with freeview,

Honwave 2.7 air hull tender with 5hp Honda 4 stroke,

boat cover,

engine cover,

tender travel wheels,

anchor, chain & rope for tender.

Anti fouling paint and lots more.

Please ring me for more information 07919370863 .

Collection only.

Edited by Graham Davis
  • Greenie 1

This is this persons FIRST ebay posting which he won't have found that easy, he has a small but 100% feedback as a buyer, even though the description may be a little mis spelt it gets the message across as to whats there, the integrity of the seller and item seems fine to me.

How about give the guy a break! He states ill health forces sale, by the sound of it he does not want to, he could have dyslexia for all anybody knows, nobody knows him and his situation. This kind of thing really does show peoples true colours. Good luck to him and I wish him a hassle free sale.

Edited by adelleandlee

Oh dear Graham (re. Post 9 - I can't reply under long quotes on the iPad). I like good spelling and punctuation as much as anyone; possibly more. But even I wouldn't go to that sort of trouble just to make a point.

What seemed to me to be missing from the advert was any indication of the boat's dimensions.

The negative comments in here, kind of dampens my dream. Because being bilingual and having troubles spelling in both my languages because of learning difficulties. I frankly don't feel I can ask all the questions I have without being bullied back into silence.

• Greenie 1

Tim,

No problem; it wasn't taken personally.

My point is, which would you prefer to read:

You had two choices; you could have emailed your corrections quietly to the seller, saying you hoped it was helpful or you could come on here slagging off someone you've never met and isn't here to answer back.

I haven't come away with any judgement on the seller other than he has a well specified boat for sale and seems a bit of a craftsmen.

As for you; I've come away thinking you're a pompous idiot who makes snide comments behind people's backs. .

Edited by Chris Pink
  • Greenie 1

The negative comments in here, kind of dampens my dream. Because being bilingual and having troubles spelling in both my languages because of learning difficulties. I frankly don't feel I can ask all the questions I have without being bullied back into silence.

I wouldn't worry. So far in this thread the score is: anti-pedants 7, pedants 2.

I, like Chertsey, regard myself as a bit of a stickler for correct English, but I'd never attack anyone's grammar or spelling in a posting. It's just not polite.

However, if someone sets him or herself up as an expert, but is wrong, then he or she is fair game.

It's a bit like Gibbo getting exasperated with so-called electrical gurus.laugh.gif

• Greenie 1

Computers with spill checkers were a god send for me, but they don't always know what word I want to use. People will tell you if you can't spell a word , use a dictionary , if you can't spell you don't know which words are wrong so have to check 90% of them and if you can't spell them how do you look them up? Try finding the correct spelling for sure in a dictionary when you think it should be shure.

Re the boat I would say its good value for money.

When anyone here's Swedish is as good as your English they may be in a position to comment negatively.

The vast majority of Brits should feel humbled at many foreigners' excellent command of what is a pretty complicated language.

I lived in France for many years and speak French fluently but I wouldn't feel confident going on a French forum and joining in a written conversation like you do.

You and all our foreign contributors have my admiration.

and, likewise, all our contributors (and site owner) who are dyslexic yet communicate so well.

• Greenie 4

Oh dear Graham (re. Post 9 - I can't reply under long quotes on the iPad). I like good spelling and punctuation as much as anyone; possibly more. But even I wouldn't go to that sort of trouble just to make a point.

What seemed to me to be missing from the advert was any indication of the boat's dimensions.

It's surprising how boring it is when I've got no trains to signal, but I'm still being paid!!

As for you; I've come away thinking you're a pompous idiot who makes snide comments behind people's backs. .

Thank you.

I'm sure everyone has a high opinion of you too.

Edited by Graham Davis

:) Caprifool, never ever feel that you cannot ask a question in any forum, just because you have trouble spelling some words :) as previously mentioned in the thread, not everyone can be good at eveything in life, as long as we try our best that is all that matters :) Do not let anything or anyone dampen your dream :) We have a saying here 'worry about those people that matter, not the ones that dont' :)

I have a degree ( not in mathematics lol) which is a good job as I cannot add up for toffee, and over the years some people have made me feel as if I was daft, because of this, I soon realised that they had a far bigger problem than me :)

Back on topic I like this boat its kinda quirky :) IMO its nice to see somethings out of the ordinary as it makes the fabric of life much more interesting :)

My spelling is terrible, but at least i try to spell check, or look up a dictionary, it's lazy, and bad manners to expect people to read garbled posts.

when i get an ebay listing like that it says to me be ultra careful with the seller.

By the way get a spell checker on this forum please.

By the way get a spell checker on this forum please.

Are the little underlines pointing my errors out not forum provided, then?

Actually, thinking about it, the computer slaps my wrist wherever I type badly (everywhere) so it may be browser based.