Has anyone stolen "your" lock?

keble

Featured Posts

Isn't it amazing just how many rude people the world contains,must be being caned at school that warps them.

Lock stealers are a pain to the single handed boater but sometimes it is a genuine mistake.Not everybody has good eyesight either.

We met said Rev half way up Atherstone flight yesterday. He informed us that his butty was going into the lock ahead which was being refilled even as we came out of the one below and not to tie up as they were bow hauling it round. My wife had already nicknamed him the Admiral as he ran ran giving orders to all. We waited in the channel whilst a young lad bow hauled with a young girl at the tiller both looked glad to be on he butty. Last sight was the poor lad being told exactly which gutty he should tie up to.

Yes wood was a common theme

Yes at Alvecote today there was a young lad on the butty, looking very embarrassed and trying not to look at anyone as they went past.

Imagine having the rev as a boss, sole destroying, and you'd start looking for the next job as soon as you started I reckon. I do hope the poor lad isn't a family member, and can find someone more reasonable to work for soon.

Sue

I have only had the one lock stolen from me.I was boating single handed. My boat was tied up I had emptyed the lock , opened the gates, walking back to my boat and watched a 70 footer just cruise straight into the lock.Nothing I could do about it.Most likely an innocent mistake.

We met said Rev half way up Atherstone flight yesterday. He informed us that his butty was going into the lock ahead which was being refilled even as we came out of the one below and not to tie up as they were bow hauling it round. My wife had already nicknamed him the Admiral as he ran ran giving orders to all. We waited in the channel whilst a young lad bow hauled with a young girl at the tiller both looked glad to be on he butty. Last sight was the poor lad being told exactly which gutty he should tie up to.

Yes wood was a common theme

We met him midway up Atherstone yesterday, I was hanging back waiting for Empress to go through the lock and the Rev was leaving the lock, he rather un-politely told me to get out of his way. He then breasted the boats up and tied directly opposite the Marina, which we all thought to be quite odd.

The wait for the lock was made less boring whilst we watched the performance going on as he barked orders at the crew.

Naughty Laurence!!!!!

:cheers: :cheers:

I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would show 'em how to do it, Sarah, perhaps you could go and work for them and i could have Lamprey!!!!!

;) ;)

Dan

I think I'll pass. However, you're more than welcome to come boating on Lamprey.

Interesting about the pay:

The Pay.

The basic UK wage, which was set In October 2011, as £242.00 for a unit of six working days. But from this we have to deduct tax and National Insurance before paying it.

We provide, in addition without charge, accommodation on the boats, all food, all laundry.

Accommodation in guest cabins, 6ft by 4 ft, (on Oak usually, though some weeks one or both crew members will have to change cabins to guest cabins on Ash to accommodate guests) There is one single bunk, 6ft by 2ft 3 inches and there is storage, central heating and a wash basin. Toilet and shower are on the same boat as the cabin..

Food, all of the same standard as the guests. Breakfast, lunch and four-course dinner with a glass of wine or beer.

All crew laundry done with the boat laundry. Towels and bedding are supplied.

Tips from guests, ( These are in adition to the pay, not deducted from it, unlike some places!).

That doesn't seem to fit in with the National Minimum Wage rates!!

Especially as I can find no reference to "The basic UK wage, which was set In October 2011, as £242.00 for a unit of six working days"

Naughty Laurence!!!!!

I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would show 'em how to do it, Sarah, perhaps you could go and work for them and i could have Lamprey!!!!!

;) ;)

Dan

Very naughty Laurence racing back to London! (1973)

gallery_5000_522_22058.jpg

Isn't it amazing just how many rude people the world contains,must be being caned at school that warps them.

Lock stealers are a pain to the single handed boater but sometimes it is a genuine mistake.Not everybody has good eyesight either.

I have never had one stolen, borrowed, it was still there when they had finished with it. It even had water in it.

Naughty Laurence!!!!!

;) ;)

Dan

He had offers years ago when he first started from people who knew what they were doing and he turned them down.

Naughty Laurence!!!!!

;) ;)

Dan

He had offers years ago when he first started from people who knew what they were doing and he turned them down.

Just out of interest, was this pair traveling west on the GU in Leamington area about 10 days ago (15th August) - and does the butty have a trad. tiller? If so, they went powering past us in the opposite direction, with the steerer of the butty hard at work - texting with his mobile with no glance at the oncoming traffic! All was well, but I remarked to my nephew steering our boat at the time, that they didn't seem to have slowed down much for us in a narrow channel.

As for the job, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

Just out of interest, was this pair traveling west on the GU in Leamington area about 10 days ago (15th August) - and does the butty have a trad. tiller? If so, they went powering past us in the opposite direction, with the steerer of the butty hard at work - texting with his mobile with no glance at the oncoming traffic! All was well, but I remarked to my nephew steering our boat at the time, that they didn't seem to have slowed down much for us in a narrow channel.

Yes must have been as when we stopped at the Saltisford arm , Warwick we were told we had just missed them

I wouldn't suggest for one minute that his crews are all monkeys . If you are a student it looks an attractive and adventurous way to earn some cash in the summer holidays, traveling the country on a Narrowboat, getting feed and a bed every night pluses getting paid.

DC - I apologise, my last post was badly worded. I quite agree that for a student, the job spec. is most attractive, for all the reasons you stated. As a means of 'permanent' employment, it's not so appealing.

I was talking about this thread with my 15-year old daughter yesterday, and she appositely asked "How do the 'residents' of the hotel boat feel about this ex-ex-Rev. shouting at everyone - surely they must get embarrassed?" She has a point!

I know we've wandered off the original OP's topic on to this notorious ex-ex-rev, who I've never met and hope never to meet.... however it does reinforce what a good natured lot we are, in any other walk of life this chap would surely have been lamped !!!

DC - I apologise, my last post was badly worded. I quite agree that for a student, the job spec. is most attractive, for all the reasons you stated. As a means of 'permanent' employment, it's not so appealing.

I was talking about this thread with my 15-year old daughter yesterday, and she appositely asked "How do the 'residents' of the hotel boat feel about this ex-ex-Rev. shouting at everyone - surely they must get embarrassed?" She has a point!

From observation, by holding their hands over their ears, head down, hoping it will all go away

Richard

I once stole a lock, unwittnigly.

My friend had started working it and by the time I realised someone else had walked over with a windlass, it was too late.

I tried to make eye contact but the agrrieved party was having none of it.

As I left the lock still unsure if I had effectively stolen the lock his other half launched in tirade which I thought unpleasant. I kept cool though and offered my sincereest apologies, adding that I hoped she would still make it in time to her weight watchers meeting.

Not big not clever, just a knee jerk reaction to unpleasantnesss.

I'd forgotten all about this (and grown a lovely moustache) until sometime later when sharing a lock going up a flight with another boat, I spotted someone coming down two or three locks away and suggested we save our efforts and wait here for them to set the locks for us...

The gentleman steering the other boat congratulated me on such good manners and proceeded to tell me the story of that horrid man who once stole his lock and then insulted his wife.

I very nearly wetted myself, but kept a straight face.

I often wonder the same thing, if I was sitting in the bow after forking out a lot of money I would die.

Another keyboard bites the dust..... :cheers:

Well it was a good reply.