Who blatantly dumped this rubbish

c c

Featured Posts

rubbish001.jpg

By badsey at 2012-06-21

This bag of rubbish ws left yesterday at Hillmorton Locks under the sign that asks people NOT to do so and directs them to the nearby rubbish bins. For years we have taken it on ourselves to remove rubbish that boaters dump all over the site because they can't be bothered to walk to the bins. Since I put the sign on the wall last month, this is the first bag that has been dumped. When I looked inside I found a name and telephone number on a document. I can't describe my feelings of rage when the identity revealed was that of an early IWA member and speaker on canal subjects who has been decorated by The Queen and currently Chairing an Olympic Committee. At finding that this blatant anti-social behaviour seemingly involved a supposed leading member of the community, a short internet search quickly revealed full details of the person and I sent him an email. He has not replied and so my question to you all is:-

What do you think I should do with this information?

• Greenie 1

Not sure what you should do. I am always amazed at the rubish bags I see in the middle of nowhere that could only have been dumped by boaters.

I have a friend that found a bag of rubbish like you he took then trouble to see if the person could be identified and he did. He then went to the persons house having gone via a rubbish tip and dumped a complete boot full of rubbish all over there garden, having opened the bin bags to ensure it would take time to clear. He did knock on the door and give the owner the original bag of rubbish back.

• Greenie 1

First things first: What evidence is there that the name and address refer to the person who dumped the rubbish, rather than being someone with whom they have had dealings? Cautious approach I think.

First things first: What evidence is there that the name and address refer to the person who dumped the rubbish, rather than being someone with whom they have had dealings? Cautious approach I think.

There are four documents but how about a ticket for the dry cleaning of four silk ties and a pair of trousers bearing his name and telephone number? Of course the guilty party may have been his maid, manservant or a child who was sent to dispose if the rubbish.

There are four documents but how about a ticket for the dry cleaning of four silk ties and a pair of trousers bearing his name and telephone number? Of course the guilty party may have been his maid, manservant or a child who was sent to dispose if the rubbish.

I don't think anything can be gained by a public naming and shaming in this case - the most likely result is that half a dozen more will adopt the attitude "well if he does it, we can" and this will only make things worse. The best result would be a letter to BW or the local council - whoever owns the land.

My feeling is that what you have done may be enough. He now knows, whether he responds or not, that he has been caught red handed. That in itself may prick his conscience enough to change his behaviour, particularly if he knows that you are being discreet about it. If he doesn't change his behaviour and gets caught again that is the time to go public in my opinion. It may be that if he persists then that is entirely up to him and not your responsibility

Edited by Bazza2
  • Greenie 1

My feeling is that what you have done may be enough. He now knows, whether he responds or not, that he has been caught red handed. That in itself may prick his conscience enough to change his behaviour, particularly if he knows that you are being discreet about it. If he doesn't change his behaviour and gets caught again that is the time to go public in my opinion. It may be that if he persists then that is entirely up to him and not your responsibility

Well put. No need to massage your own ego - leave it to the perpetrator's conscience.

And no need to contribute to the malicious crap put out by the red-tops, whether owned by that bastard Australian-American or anyone else.

I think I'd actually send it to him by recorded delivery. It would cost me, I know, but I love the idea of him probably not being home and having to make the effort to go to the Post Office to pick up the box. Either way, there'd be the awful realisation as he opened the box. And, O.K. not the tabloids, but you could tell just us on here couldn't you?? :D

Steal his identity.....

Now we are getting somewhere.

Post it back to him with a note explaining that you noticed that there were documents with personal information in it, and you were worried about identity theft

Richard