MY JSA SUSPENDED AGAIN

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

I wasn't entering a popularity contest. <_< Not hung up on those brownie points either.

Not all work is funded or provided by the councils. Get out there and approach private companies.

You are winning yourself no brownie points on here so why not give it up as a bad job? :rolleyes:

Of the 20 pages, my contribution was somewhat curtailed. I did get a sort of 45/50 divide which later turned into a kind of turkey shoot where I was finally abandoned to my fate (and several well aimed blasts).

The odd thing is all I ever did was stand up for myself in a given situation. It could have been any situation. Also odd, is I dropped the whole thing somewhere around page 10 and the situation officially abated.

Someone help! Anyone! :help:

You'll be pleased to know also I'm still job seeking. :blush:

So what are you hung up on?

You have managed to squeeze 20 pages out of something and I damned if Im sifting through it again.

Of the 20 pages, my contribution was somewhat curtailed. I did get a sort of 45/50 divide which later turned into a kind of turkey shoot where I was finally abandoned to my fate (and several well aimed blasts).

The odd thing is all I ever did was stand up for myself in a given situation. It could have been any situation. Also odd, is I dropped the whole thing somewhere around page 10 and the situation officially abated.

Someone help! Anyone! :help:

You'll be pleased to know also I'm still job seeking. :blush:

Not rising to the bait again sorry, you have not acknowledged any of the constructive help offered (albeit not all constructive) so I am not going to stroke your ego further by contributing beyond this post.

Got to be honest, I felt sorry for you and any one else who happens to find themselves unemployed, but have you joined any job agencies?

I work in a hotel, as a maid, we constantly have new people in and out, mainly immigrants, who all seem to find jobs.

Are you only looking for full time work? cos to be honest you'll have virtually no chance.

You want to be looking for a few part time jobs.

You say your appearance goes against you - I've got piercings and tattoos - one on my head - yet i can take my percings out and cover my tattoos for work, so whats your problem?

Have you tried going for seasonal work?

As for not claiming - you must have some hidden wealth then if you can afford to be without the £60 odd quid they pay you.

You say your appearance goes against you - so whats your problem?

To be fair, if you looked exactly like Kwai Chang Caine prospective employers would just see someone who is getting themselves into bother on a weekly basis.

The issue was already sorted out in the early stages. A development has been I am being tested for some condition that would explain my absent mindedness but that's personal and better not to discuss it publically. I'm very much back on track and remain hopeful at some point I'll prevail.

Yes, good old Kwai Chang. It was am amazing series and I still watch the replays on my boat. Both Kung Fu and Zen philosophy are fascinating.

I loved the way Caine would go into a bar and ask for a glass of water, some tough guy would pick a fight and then ass would get kicked. He was apparently quite employable. He's seen painting fences, sawing timber and laying down railways (but never wanted any money). His philosophy: Work, a place to sleep, food.

To be fair, if you looked exactly like Kwai Chang Caine prospective employers would just see someone who is getting themselves into bother on a weekly basis.

"You say your appearance goes against you - I've got piercings and tattoos - one on my head - "

Where on earth did I say that?

Do I really wear a floppy hat and carry a flute?

Apparently Caradine got his role only after he jumped in the air and kicked the door.

Got to be honest, I felt sorry for you and any one else who happens to find themselves unemployed, but have you joined any job agencies?

I work in a hotel, as a maid, we constantly have new people in and out, mainly immigrants, who all seem to find jobs.

Are you only looking for full time work? cos to be honest you'll have virtually no chance.

You want to be looking for a few part time jobs.

You say your appearance goes against you - I've got piercings and tattoos - one on my head - yet i can take my percings out and cover my tattoos for work, so whats your problem?

Have you tried going for seasonal work?

As for not claiming - you must have some hidden wealth then if you can afford to be without the £60 odd quid they pay you.

That was only after he was made redundant from his job as a mild mannered janitor in a police station, though.

That's only because he spent to much time in the filing cabinet, reading the 'The Hong Kong Book Of Kung Fu'

Firesprite

I should write my own episodes:

Flashback.

"Master Po, I have just had my JSA suspended. Is this not unjust?"

"Grasshopper, close your eyes and tell me what you hear."

"I hear the sound of the river, the croaking of frogs and I hear the birds in the trees."

"Then, hearing all of this, grasshopper, do you see hunger or want?"

"No, but I am confused!"

"Do not be confused. The frog has no social security money yet he is fed and likewise the birds in the trees. Does not nature take care of their needs?"

Back to the present.

P.S. I could script in Phyllis as a Karate expert come to give me the chop.

That was only after he was made redundant from his job as a mild mannered janitor in a police station, though.

He did do a book on Thai Chi and Shaolin Kung Fu. Actually I'm a huge fan. I thought Carradine was really terrific. He says he did all the very slow speech after having watched Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek.

That's only because he spent to much time in the filing cabinet, reading the 'The Hong Kong Book Of Kung Fu'

Firesprite

Guest wanted

I have had dealings with many dozens of unemployed ..why are they unemployed ..cannot drive ..look like a tramp ..cannot meet appointments ...unemployable by intent

What dealings would that be?

Many dozens dosent scatch the surface of the amount of unemployed people, hardly representative.

What a shallow outlook! What about Lieutenant Columbo? Shabby, looks like a tramp, drives a banger and fumbles round. Total genious in solving murders - best in the LAPD. And people like him do exist. They fool everybody else by being under-estimated.

Sounds a bit conceited to me.

I have had dealings with many dozens of unemployed ..why are they unemployed ..cannot drive ..look like a tramp ..cannot meet appointments ...unemployable by intent

You just described me (except for the driving bit, though I am a crap driver); fully employed for the best part of 41 years. I have had dealings with many unemployed people and your stereotyping is pointless. Fact: Too many people, not enough jobs. Wrap it up however you want, but there will always be a core of unemployed people. Throw mud at them, call them names, tell them to do XYZ and it is of little help. I consider myself to have been EXTREMELY lucky in the labour market. No doubt somebody will be along to say "You make your own luck." I certainly haven't.

What a shallow outlook! What about Lieutenant Columbo? Shabby, looks like a tramp, drives a banger and fumbles round. Total genious in solving murders - best in the LAPD. And people like him do exist. They fool everybody else by being under-estimated.

Sounds a bit conceited to me.

Though sadly dead now, I had a friend who was a psychiatrist (didn't do a great deal of good for me though) and seemingly one of the best in the game. Looked and dressed just like Columbo, drove an ancient Beetle. I will always remember his valuable antique sideboard which had a 4" Record vice bolted to it. One of the nicest and most genuine people on God's earth.

I guess the lieutenant must have been based on someone real. The mistake most people made (mainly the murderers) was to take him at face value. By appearance, an absent-minded, bumbling, scruffy, socially inadequate pest but deep down a crime-solving genious. Notice how when Columbo arrives at the scene of the murder, he will immediately become concerned about something like a lack of trodden-in grass on the carpet, while his colleagues are just going through orthodox proceedures.

Funniest scence to date maybe was when the lieutenant visits a mission for the homeless to interview a down-and-out, alcoholic bum who wtinessed a crime. As he enters a nun immediately greets him as one of the down-and-outs. She serves him hot food and offers another raincoat. When he shows his LAPD badge, she then says, "Oh, I see now! You're undercover!"

"You know Sir, it's a funny thing. All my life I kept running into smart people. I don't just mean smart like you and the people in this house. You know what I mean. In school, there were lots of smarter kids. And when I first joined the force Sir, they had some very clever people there. And I could tell right away that it wasn't gonna be easy making detective as long as they were around. But I figured, if I worked harder than they did, put in more time, read the books, kept my eyes open, maybe I could make it happen. And I did. And I really love my work, Sir.".

You just described me (except for the driving bit, though I am a crap driver); fully employed for the best part of 41 years. I have had dealings with many unemployed people and your stereotyping is pointless. Fact: Too many people, not enough jobs. Wrap it up however you want, but there will always be a core of unemployed people. Throw mud at them, call them names, tell them to do XYZ and it is of little help. I consider myself to have been EXTREMELY lucky in the labour market. No doubt somebody will be along to say "You make your own luck." I certainly haven't.

Though sadly dead now, I had a friend who was a psychiatrist (didn't do a great deal of good for me though) and seemingly one of the best in the game. Looked and dressed just like Columbo, drove an ancient Beetle. I will always remember his valuable antique sideboard which had a 4" Record vice bolted to it. One of the nicest and most genuine people on God's earth.

They do stop your money even when it's their fault. The system is deliberately stacked against the claimant even if you jump through all their hoops.

I had an incident where I tried to sign on, only to be told my claim had been stopped 13 days earlier because I hadnt turned up for an appointment (1 day after I had last signed on). This meant I wasnt getting any money, & I also wouldnt be getting any money for the next 2 weeks either because you cant backdate anything. They hadnt told me about the appointment, & they also hadnt told me my claim was stopped until 2 weeks after they stopped it. It also resulted in housing benefit being stopped.

Eventually after much form filling an appeal & a formal complaint, they finally admitted they hadnt even sent me the letter about the appointment, & I eventually got my money. My initial form had somehow been lost when I had tried to appeal, apparently I hadnt appealed & hadnt handed in any forms, I put in the formal complaint when I spotted my initial appeal form in my paperwork which I apparently handed filled in or handed in.

Another time I was late for signing on by about an hour & a half, because the bus had crashed into a car that had pulled out in front of the bus instead of giving way. We had to wait for the police & give statements, & wait for a replacement bus. When I got to the dole office I had to fill out a bunch of forms explaining why I hadnt turned up on time, so I filled them out & handed them in. Due to what had happened the last time, I tried to get a receipt for the forms I was handing in, but they flatly refused, it is policy that they dont give out receipts. I was told my money would go in anyway & everything would be ok, I wasnt the only one on that bus who was signing on. Anyway on the day my money should have shown up, it didnt. I then went in every day to check on the progress, & kept getting told my money would go in. On my next signing on day, I was told I didnt have a sign on appointment because I hadnt turned up 2 weeks earlier & as a result my claim had been stopped 2 weeks earlier. I tried to appeal but as I couldnt prove I had handed in the forms I lost the appeal, apparently I should have got a receipt.

A 3rd time I missed an appointment due to illness. I had woken up with a bad case of projectile vomiting & diarrhea, so I rang them as soon as they opened (6 hours before my appointment) & explained why I couldnt get there. They said they would send out the relevant form which I needed to fill in & return once I was better. Well I got the form the next day.

Due to the lack of proof the previous 2 times, I have reached the point where I dont trust them to do anything right, & so I had recorded the phone call on my mobile as proof...

Anyway 2 days later (sign on Tuesday, so now Thursday) I filled in the form, scanned it, & went to the dole office to hand it in. I just happened to have my mobile phone in my hand, which just happened to be recording video (quite by accident of course).

Just for the record they dont let you use mobile phones in the dole office, security will stop you, & if you dont comply they will have you arrested.

I tried to get a recipt for the form I was handing in, but they wouldnt give me one, still policy to not hand out receipts. Although I was behaving myself I was insistent on getting a receipt due to the problems in the past. Well I never did get a receipt, & by this time I had 3 security guards around me. It was at this point 1 of them noticed my phone was videoing stuff. They demanded my phone, which I wouldnt give them. They ended up calling the police, they also restrained me, with 1 of them getting my phone, & eventually he managed to delete the video once he had worked out how to, it took him ages.

Sure enough the police showed up, they only wanted the security guards version of events & I was hauled off without being able to put my side of the story. I was still behaving myself (other than I wouldnt leave until I got a receipt for the form I had handed in). Put in a cell without my trousers or boots for around 5 hours. Eventually they interviewed me formally, apparently I was going to be charged with trespass & public order, all of which I denied.

Well all I can say is... THANK GOD FOR DROPBOX.

My version of events didnt match up with the security guards version of events, I told the coppers that I had videoed the whole lot, but the security guard had deleted it, & that I might be able to prove it if I could have access to my phone, & sure enough my video was there on dropbox (got my phone set to instantly upload vids & pics to dropbox), & proved that I was telling the truth. I was let go with no charge.

Well I went in everyday for the next 2 weeks to check on the progress of my claim, only to get fobbed off same as before, & sure enough, on my next signing on day I was told I didnt have an appointment because I hadnt shown up the last time, & I hadnt been in touch, & I handt filled in the relevant forms, & so as a result my claim had been closed 2 weeks earlier. I appealed, mentioning that I had a recording of the phone call, as well as scans of the filled in form, & video of me handing in the form & the resulting debacle. I lost the appeal, apparently any recordings I had taken didnt count because I hadnt got permission from them to record anything, therefore it wasnt even looked at.

I then made a formal complaint, which did look at the video & phone recoding, this was upheld, & I eventually got my money.

While any investigations of this sort are going on, they completely suspend your claim, which can often result in 3 or more months without any money at all. Typically minimum of 6 weeks for an appeal, & even longer for a formal complaint.

I'll also breifly touch upon ESA. I was once found unconcious in my room. Rushed to hospital, turns out I had had a Pulminory Embolism & nearly died. I was apparently grey when I got wheeled in & the doc said later he didnt think I was going to make it. I spent over a week in hospital. I got in touch with the dole office on my 2nd day in hospital. My dole was immediately stopped from the day I was found unconcious & I had to go on to ESA. I was sent the forms (to the hospital). I filled them in, & the day I left hospital just happened to be the day I was due to sign on. So I went to the dole office & handed in the forms, along with stuff from the hospital, Doctors note etc.

I spent the next 4 weeks having to go into hospital everyday for tests & injections. Eventually they put me on to warfarin (rat poison, makes you feel like death warmed up) I still had to go to hospital 3 times a week for another 5 weeks for tests & to be issued with my warfarin. Eventually this was reduced to twice a week then once a week, & at the same time I was given a prescription for warfarin instead of it being issued by the hospital. This caused problems because by now I had had no money for 11 weeks. As I wasnt in reiept of JSA or ESA I couldnt get free prescriptions, & I had no money to buy my prescription (or anything else for that matter). Eventually after 3 months my claim for ESA was denied (March), the reason being "Your claim for ESA has been denied". I could appeal, but I had to do it by Jan 5th, 3 months earlier. My appeal was denied because I didnt appeal in time.

I also lost my dentist, when he found out I had been on warfarin he refused to treat me unless I got a note from my doctor saying I was ok, my doctor refused to do this on the grounds I had refused treatment, because I had stopped taking my warfarin (because I had no money for 3 months to pay for the prescription)

Before you lot go thinking I'm work shy, I did my 1st 6 months at 60 per week agency, followed by a year at 40 hours per week. Then 15 years at 75 hours per week, made redundant, 1 year at 40 hours per week (after 3 months out of work), 5 months in hospital after a hit & run left me for dead & another 7 months on the sick. 6 months agency at random hours (never a full week). Then 3 years at 120 hours per week (I had joined a B&B as a part time cleaner but got put in charge after a month).

Now unfortunately I am out of work (the B&B owner sold the properties as normal housing & retired ), applied for hundreds of jobs, & still keep applying.

I have reached the point where I dont trust them to do anything right, & so I had recorded the phone call on my mobile as proof...

Best approach. Don't give them an inch. While I have no problems with following the spirit of the contract signed by every jobseeker, I deplore the benefit people's unerring ability to seemingly get your information wrong. The ability they have to create more anxiety in jobseekers borders on the saddistic or, incompetence.

Edited by Higgs

Well, old Fotunata came in for a bit of stick, but I am hearing more and more about the "incompetence" of the JSA people.

There have been plenty of barstool critics on here, but I wonder how THEY would cope if they found themeslves in that position? I expect that they think it couldn't happen to them? I reckon there is going to be a serious unemployment problem with all this bank shit, and we should all be looking over our shoulders. As the song goes, you ain't seen nothin' yet (double negative, I know.)

Edited to add my daughter has today got a job with a debt advisory company. It is a growth industry it seems.

You do know Columbo was not real, right?

:rolleyes:

How dare you? :)

Edited by Guest