MY JSA SUSPENDED AGAIN

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

Guest wanted

Kicking someone when they're down is one of the lowest forms of behaviour but shouting "I'm down, come and kick me" is one of the most stupid.

Kicking someone when they're down is one of the lowest forms of behaviour but shouting "I'm down, come and kick me" is one of the most stupid.

^ a quote of which I intend to steal!

Edited by wanted

You know that; I know that, but I ask you to think about it..

Edited by Guest

I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt so to speak both the seeker and the giver. I suspect there are seekers that have no intention of looking for work and abuse the system and there are givers who are poorly trained and overwhelmed who I suspect don't do the seeker or their employer ie us justice.

However here's the thing when I had the big C recently and faced a major op , I made a mistake to look on some of the cancer forums, it was dire and really depressing, I mentioned this to the consultant and he made a point I have never forgotten people rarely go on a forum to praise the success of their operation or when the benefit system has worked they in the main only post when things go wrong.

This got me thinking here is no excuse for crap service and the system breaking down but given the millions of claimants it follows there should be a relatively large people getting a good service given that it's a stressfull situation.

You are absolutely right Tuscan.

I used to think this when British Gas was berated on Watchdog for a fairly small number of complaints, without really considering their millions of customers. Very poor that the program didn't put the numbers in context.

It's so easy to go on a forum and make an unchallenged complaint. How often do we see a post here praising NBW for posting a good article? (ok, extreme example I know, but you know what I mean).

I take your point Dor, but there is another way of looking at that; It seems to be part of our culture that "we mustn't complain," almost like we are making trouble should we do so. Like the old joke when people are asked "is everything OK with you meals" and we all nod politely and smile, then when the waiter has gone we start to moan again.

So the complaint figures perhaps would be higher if we complained when we should?

(I took telephone complaints for a certain electricity board for a few months, and it was one of the worst experiences in my life!)

Oooohhh no, not 22 pages now, listen you can have my job, just please end this post !!!

As people have said to me in the past:

If it annoys you so much, why the f*** do you read it?

As people have said to me in the past:

If it annoys you so much, why the f*** do you read it?

It's like headlights and rabbits... They're probably sat there thinking "this feels like a bad idea" but sit there they do.

The likes of IDS (Duncan Smith) make me puke, I'm afraid. They know full well there is flawed public mentality that there are countless unemployed "living it up" on possibly the most meagre benefit system in western Europe. A charitable hand-out any German would get as unemployment to cover 2 days.

There were cases in the past of welfare abuses but a great deal of that was foreign benefit tourists. I met people abroad who claim to have signed on over here in the past using 4 or 5 addresses. Little wonder we are now where we are and the blame lies squarely with the politicians, not those who are out of work.

Due to gross incompetance, taxes are now sky high to try and keep canals functional, public services, hospitals and so on. So, the idiots in political office require a scapegoat (some group to deflect anger away from themselves). Thus, blame the unemployed as "scroungers". Identify with the taxpayer you screwed 100 times over. Broadcast the message there are "thousands of vacancies out there" and play the blame game.

Sadly the knee-jerk reaction brought about by tabloid rags such as The Sun have allowed politicians to begin to dismantle the welfare state which would bring us back to the times of Dickens. Not only that but IDS and co are now set on dismantling worker rights, making it a piece of cake to dismiss long term employees.

Choose your side carefully. Anyone who thinks IDS and Willy Hague gives a stuff about their taxes are I'm afraid sadly deluded. Anyone who thinks those lot ever did an honest days graft is also deluded.

Nuff said.

Well, old Fotunata came in for a bit of stick, but I am hearing more and more about the "incompetence" of the JSA people.

There have been plenty of barstool critics on here, but I wonder how THEY would cope if they found themeslves in that position? I expect that they think it couldn't happen to them? I reckon there is going to be a serious unemployment problem with all this bank shit, and we should all be looking over our shoulders. As the song goes, you ain't seen nothin' yet (double negative, I know.)

Edited to add my daughter has today got a job with a debt advisory company. It is a growth industry it seems.

How dare you? :)

I cannot help noticing the resemblance between Mr. Fortunata, the intermittent dole recipient, and Mr. Dave Spart, the political columnist of Private Eye magazine. I wonder if by any chance they are related?

• Greenie 1

The likes of IDS (Duncan Smith) make me puke, I'm afraid. They know full well there is flawed public mentality that there are countless unemployed "living it up" on possibly the most meagre benefit system in western Europe. A charitable hand-out any German would get as unemployment to cover 2 days.

There were cases in the past of welfare abuses but a great deal of that was foreign benefit tourists. I met people abroad who claim to have signed on over here in the past using 4 or 5 addresses. Little wonder we are now where we are and the blame lies squarely with the politicians, not those who are out of work.

Due to gross incompetence, taxes are now sky high to try and keep canals functional, public services, hospitals and so on. So, the idiots in political office require a scapegoat (some group to deflect anger away from themselves). Thus, blame the unemployed as "scroungers". Identify with the taxpayer you screwed 100 times over. Broadcast the message there are "thousands of vacancies out there" and play the blame game.

Sadly the knee-jerk reaction brought about by tabloid rags such as The Sun have allowed politicians to begin to dismantle the welfare state which would bring us back to the times of Dickens. Not only that but IDS and co are now set on dismantling worker rights, making it a piece of cake to dismiss long term employees.

Choose your side carefully. Anyone who thinks IDS and Willy Hague gives a stuff about their taxes are I'm afraid sadly deluded. Anyone who thinks those lot ever did an honest days graft is also deluded.

Nuff said.

If that truly is the case why do displaced persons travel all the way from Africa or the other side of Europe, crossing all these other countries with more generous benefit regimes, endure the waiting and the dangers of crossing the channel, purely to get less benefits here? It isn't the fact that they speak English because many can't so there has to be an incentive for them to do it. I don't think the logic adds up I'm afraid.

Roger

I cannot help noticing the resemblance between Mr. Fortunata, the intermittent dole recipient, and Mr. Dave Spart, the political columnist of Private Eye magazine. I wonder if by any chance they are related?

Greenie !!!

Holland has ( at least used to have), a sliding scale benefit system, where those who became unemployed through no fault of their own, were receiving something like 90% of their previous income for the first six months. Then it would go down, to something like 50% for the next six months, and after a year, you would be down to basic benefits.

Here, you go from earning 400, 500, whatever a week, to circa 50 a week...

I know where I would move back to, if I became unemployed, and had to claim benefits.

Don't know whether it is still the case, but in the Nederlands at one time you also got benefit based on your qualifications. So for instance, if you qualified as a surveyor, but there were no jobs available for surveyors, their view was that it was their fault for training you to be one, so supported you on a reasonable income until you could get an appropriate job. Just imagine if we had that system in the UK for media studies.

Don't know whether it is still the case, but in the Nederlands at one time you also got benefit based on your qualifications. So for instance, if you qualified as a surveyor, but there were no jobs available for surveyors, their view was that it was their fault for training you to be one, so supported you on a reasonable income until you could get an appropriate job. Just imagine if we had that system in the UK for media studies.

Not quite, in the Netherlands you only qualified for benefits, if you had actually contributed to the pot. If you had not worked, since leaving school, you were not entitled to benefits. Well, perhaps some subsistence benefits, but certainly nothing to live on. There was no such thing as a 16 year old going to the social, and being given housing and other benefits, not even when pregnant.

Edit to add, I'm now recollecting from 20 years ago, no idea how it works today.

Edited by luctor et emergo

I was on that for a little while in the 1970s - from memory, when I got back from teaching in France and was looking for a job in the UK.

Some years later I was again unemployed for a little while, went into the dole office and asked to be put on the PER and they hadn't the faintest idea what i was talking about, so it must have been abolished some time ago.

We did have the Professional and Executive Register, at one point. I think this allowed you to hold out for work appropriate to your qualifications.

For the first 13 weeks of a period of unemployment a claimant can request a "permitted period" whereby they are allowed to restrict the type of work they are looking for to the type they have recently left.

I my recent experience the application of this is patchy, but it's still there.

As I seem to recall you're involved in law then you ought to know the right to choose your own job is outlined in the European Social charter. It's what the last Government signed up to and that regulation still exists. Thus, in the case of Cait Reilley and the mechanic whose cases are now being decided I'm not sure why the lawyers didn't quote that regulation. If one client has a BA in geology and working in a museuem voluntary, the job centre are actually obliged to arrange employment in a related field (to geology or academic). This business of forcing tradesmen or grads into totally unrelated work simply disregards the employment regulations applied to all E.U. citizens.

There is no "permitted period" so far as I'm aware. You have a right to choose whether the Tories like it or not.

For the first 13 weeks of a period of unemployment a claimant can request a "permitted period" whereby they are allowed to restrict the type of work they are looking for to the type they have recently left.

I my recent experience the application of this is patchy, but it's still there.

Because they can't get something for nothing in France or Germany perhaps. Which is why the French and Germans have better health care and far higher pensions.

Mass immigration is allowed here merely to create sources of cheap labour and lower the costs of production. Not in the interest of the working classes or trade unions.

If that truly is the case why do displaced persons travel all the way from Africa or the other side of Europe, crossing all these other countries with more generous benefit regimes, endure the waiting and the dangers of crossing the channel, purely to get less benefits here? It isn't the fact that they speak English because many can't so there has to be an incentive for them to do it. I don't think the logic adds up I'm afraid.

Roger

Have you lived in Europe? I have for some 10 years. You can google the comparisons between U.K. and Europe by the way. Any ex pat will tell you, though.

You are talking crap sir.

It's one of the most generous and to compare with Germany or Holland not a realistic comparison.