MY JSA SUSPENDED AGAIN

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

I can supply the petrol - anyone got a match?

We used to have a stock answer for that question in the smoker's club when I was a kid, but I am too polite to put it on here :)

Edited by Guest

We used to have a stock answer for that question in the smoker's club when I was a kid, but I am too polite to put it on here :)

Your face and my arse. Is that a match? :rolleyes:

Edited by Higgs

Anyway, my point is that the status of superpower isn't connected to owning WMD weapons....

Errr...No, your point was that the purpose of the welfare state is to keep untrained cannon fodder healthy enough to be killed in a war.

Val, no one is forcing you to read it. It has provided entertainment for some of your CWF colleagues.

Yes you are right. I apologise. A library has many books, we won`t like them all. A TV has an off switch. I and others don`t have to read the posts.

Basicaly I was just answering mrs smelly. I should have answered in a different way.

Everyone enjoy this, in my opinion-just my opinion, crap. It`s a free world. I won`t read it any more.

I withdraw my original post.

But what Mr Athy neglected to mention was that, as it is an open forum and this is the virtual pub, you are free to criticise the ramblings as much as you like.

Yes - it was a bit of an early exit...

I think I must apologise for my friend's exploration of bad taste. I left the boat for five minutes and on returning, found what he had posted.

He has been ejected......, forcefully.

That's the one :cheers:

I think I must apologise for my friend's exploration of bad taste. I left the boat for five minutes and on returning, found what he had posted.

He has been ejected......, forcefully.

I have a friend that does stuff like that.

Perhaps you too should read your history.

The reason the Soviets defeated the Germans was because the battle was fought on their borders which meant the German supply lines were stretched to their limits and the troops had no relief through reinforcements.

It's a shame Hitler didn't read his history either, otherwise he'd have realised that Napoleon was defeated by the same problem

Richard

Perhaps you too should read your history.

The reason the Soviets defeated the Germans was because the battle was fought on their borders which meant the German supply lines were stretched to their limits and the troops had no relief through reinforcements.

The war was fought somewhat further in-country than the borders. The Germans made it as far as some ten miles from Moscow, before the onset of Autumn, with the accompanying rain, turned the ground into a mud quagmire, which robbed the German army of it's mobility. The inability of the Panzers to move, was a bigger tactical problem than the lenght of the supply lines.

In 1944 the Russians were running rapidly out of resources, mainly manpower, and were desperate for the Allies to open up the front in Europe, through the invasion of France, to split the German forces. The allies would not have invaded on D-Day for at least an other year, if it wasn't for the risk of losing the Russians, either through politics, or because they could have lost the war in the East after all. Don't forget, the Russians lost 20.000.000 lives during WWII.

I was taught what I now consider to be a distorted version of history. In our geographical zone they teach how the war was won by Churchill and the U.S.A. but this is fairly biased. On his deathbed, Hitler attributed his defeat to the might of the Soviet army and, at the same time, slammed his own German troops as inferior.

The truth is Stalin started out badly as a general but later proved himself to be totally uncompromising. In Stalin's eyes, once German troops attacked the USSR, it would be a fight to the bitter end. Of course, Russia lost millions of troops, especially in Berlin but more troops took their place.

And, at the end of the day, Russia had Hitler's body as a testimony to the outcome of the war.

Without the USSR. We'd be living in a very different Europe. The irony also is that as bad as Stalin was, he was probably the only one who had the willpower to defeat Hitler and Hitler knew it. At his death he acknowledged it.

Well, that's my take on it anyway.

It's a shame Hitler didn't read his history either, otherwise he'd have realised that Napoleon was defeated by the same problem

Richard

They all speak Spanish. There was even a program about a guy who cycled South America and he started in Mexico.

So far I haven't seen anything that goes beyond basic disagreement so no real harm done.

Anyway I think the point now (a new one altogether) is I basically disagree with the consensus in this country that the only model to follow is the U.S.A. and not Europe. My girlfriend who was Spanish used to say to me that the best location in the world to live in is Europe, in terms of overall prosperity and living standards. Most Americans I know who have travelled agree with this.

There has been way too much blindly following America in this country with negative results. One disastrous war in Iraq which probably put us all into recession as well as damaged our reputation world-wide.

I think America has had its good moments and positive points but believe it's over-rated in historical terms.

After the last few posts, it would thus become "My USA Suspended Again", I guess.

Fortu, are you sure that you haven't got a job at Private Eye magazine?

So far I haven't seen anything that goes beyond basic disagreement so no real harm done.

Anyway I think the point now (a new one altogether) is I basically disagree with the consensus in this country that the only model to follow is the U.S.A. and not Europe.

Yes, I think most people have figured out that the country isn't being run as you would wish.

However, my advice to you would have to remain "concentrate more on getting a job than on how the country should deal with you not having a job"

Alternatively, if other countries have a better model, why not apply to become a citizen of one of those countries (apart from the fact that they probably won't want you).

****snip***

Alternatively, if other countries have a better model, why not apply to become a citizen of one of those countries (apart from the fact that they probably won't want you).

Yes, since the downfall of Communism, his option seem limited.

They all speak Spanish.

Really?

Brazil's official Language is Portuguese, the Guyanese speak English, with the exception of French Guyana (guess which language they speak), and Dutch is the national language of Suriname.

Apparently Spanish is spoken widely in Spain, too, which isn't in South America.

I think the oriignal issue has moved on since I first posted ane we're somewhere else.

However, seeing as you asked.....

Yes, I definitely believe the point where Gorbachev failed to reform communism has proven ((and is proving) to be disastrous. I think time will prove this to be the case.

Now I don't mean authoritarian communism as it existed in the USSR. I'm talking about the model Gorbachev sought to build which was a democratic, open model based on free choice, not barbed wire fences.

To my mind, the big mistake was to somehow assume that since the USSR had fallen into crisis, then that in itself somehow means capitalism is suddenly the correct option. That, is very simplistic, flawed reasoning. I say that because (1) capitalism has a history of dire failure and (2)we can now see that just like communist economies, capitalist economies can get into exactly the same mess.

And before the big guns come blasting in my direction, the truth is now thousands and thousands of people now perceive capitalism as negative worldwide. I'm far from being aminority.

Ironically capitalism is making the exact same mistake as communism - failing to deliver a promised utopia. Will the bankers and politiicans avert the crisis or will they fall victim to mass social rejection which happened to Gorbachev?

There are now a lot of academics who are coming out to state both communism and capitalism have failed, except we don't know how long capitalism has left.

Maybe only China can come up with a true Third Way.

Yes, I think most people have figured out that the country isn't being run as you would wish.

However, my advice to you would have to remain "concentrate more on getting a job than on how the country should deal with you not having a job"

I am becoming incresinly concerned that the OP not only has scant knowledge of world geography, but how he can be taken seriously when he still cannot master the simple art of posting his message after the one he is replying to. After 26 pages PLEASE !!