TV aerial

Oliver

Featured Posts

You want to try fitting aerials around Sheffield to find out what hills are all about.

Which, of course, is no coincidence. One of the main reasons that the steel industry developed around Sheffield was the hills, sourcing five rivers, to power the water mills.

The sheffield tourism board's next broadcast will also be on something else the town no longer does.

You want to try fitting aerials around Sheffield to find out what hills are all about.

Which, of course, is no coincidence. One of the main reasons that the steel industry developed around Sheffield was the hills, sourcing five rivers, to power the water mills.

Trick is to live at the very top of one :lol:

Not only do we get great views but we also get cracking TV reception even when the aerial blew over!

We have one of these

http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_de...BLE&id=1084

They are good directional aerials and because they are flat they are easier to store. We also use a signal strength meter so that we can get it pointing in the right direction and at the right height. In my experience it pays to experiment with the height of the aerial on an extending pole when you moor up as it isn't always a case of higher is best.

We generally get good digital freeview TV.

We have one of these

http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_de...BLE&id=1084

They are good directional aerials and because they are flat they are easier to store. We also use a signal strength meter so that we can get it pointing in the right direction and at the right height. In my experience it pays to experiment with the height of the aerial on an extending pole when you moor up as it isn't always a case of higher is best.

We generally get good digital freeview TV.

That`s a Log Periodic aerial, which are the best bet for caravans and boats in my opinion.

I reckon this one is a bit more strongly made though.

I use a DM log when I go boating and I`m pretty sure it`ll work well on the River Great Ouse / the River Cam this May, it`s so flat round there.

That`s a Log Periodic aerial, which are the best bet for caravans and boats in my opinion.

I reckon this one is a bit more strongly made though.

I use a DM log when I go boating and I`m pretty sure it`ll work well on the River Great Ouse / the River Cam this May, it`s so flat round there.

Yes there are several places you can buy them I was just using it as an example of the type. We have had more success in getting a good Digi picture since we bought the signal strength meter too. It also gets rid of the shouting out the cabin "left a bit! right a bit!"

Pictures always lovely?

As opposed to Never The Same Colo(u)r [Twice] as in the US?

:-)

PC

I always knew NTSC in the States as Never Twice the Same Colour.................

................or SECAM in France (sometimes even colours appears momentarily)

Chris

I always knew NTSC in the States as Never Twice the Same Colour.................

................or SECAM in France (sometimes even colours appears momentarily)

Chris

Ah, your NTSC is better! I knew there was one for SECAM, couldn't remember it for the life of me...

:-)

PC

What TV aerials do people recommend?

We'd like a small one which can be taken on and off the roof. I've heard you can get a magnetic one.

Suggestions as to makes and suppliers would be gratefully received.

Thanks

As ccers we have had great success with a log periodic, make sure it has a built in amplifier, Screwfix do (did?) one for about £38. Maplins do a nice little signal strength meter for £12.99 You can adapt it to power off the amplifier, saves all that yelling BACK A BIT, NO THE OTHER WAY, WHICH WAY? and so on. Terrestrial signal strength is getting better all the time should be pretty good when we go digital

What TV aerials do people recommend?

We'd like a small one which can be taken on and off the roof. I've heard you can get a magnetic one.

Suggestions as to makes and suppliers would be gratefully received.

Thanks

:lol: Mine is cheap and cheerful stuck on an ally pole and point, usualy spot on reception, if not who cares turn telly off go to pub or play cd etc lets face it 99 per cent of tv is crap at best.

As ccers we have had great success with a log periodic, make sure it has a built in amplifier, Screwfix do (did?) one for about £38. Maplins do a nice little signal strength meter for £12.99 You can adapt it to power off the amplifier, saves all that yelling BACK A BIT, NO THE OTHER WAY, WHICH WAY? and so on. Terrestrial signal strength is getting better all the time should be pretty good when we go digital

One has to be careful with using amplifiers, they can sometimes do more harm than good. It all depends on your signal strength. I`d probably advise using an aerial without an amplifier if you can, but still have one add it in if you (really) need to.

Yes there are several places you can buy them I was just using it as an example of the type. We have had more success in getting a good Digi picture since we bought the signal strength meter too. It also gets rid of the shouting out the cabin "left a bit! right a bit!"

Is that signal strength meter frequency dependent ?

The interesting thing is that if it isn`t (i.e. it just gives a reading for the whole received TV band) it`d be the kind an aerial installer would laugh at, but it`d perform an arguably more useful role (for a touring aerial) in finding the strongest available transmitter. Interestingly an omni directional aerial is good at doing that, even if it isn`t much good at actually receiving the signal.

Remember you`ve got THREE VARIABLES in signal reception at unknown sites :

1 Frequency

2 Direction

3 Polarity

One has to be careful with using amplifiers, they can sometimes do more harm than good. It all depends on your signal strength. I`d probably advise using an aerial without an amplifier if you can, but still have one add it in if you (really) need to.

Is that signal strength meter frequency dependent ?

The interesting thing is that if it isn`t (i.e. it just gives a reading for the whole received TV band) it`d be the kind an aerial installer would laugh at, but it`d perform an arguably more useful role (for a touring aerial) in finding the strongest available transmitter. Interestingly an omni directional aerial is good at doing that, even if it isn`t much good at actually receiving the signal.

Remember you`ve got THREE VARIABLES in signal reception at unknown sites :

1 Frequency

2 Direction

3 Polarity

The one I bought (which looks the same as the Maplin one but comes with adaptors for "ordinary" aerial plugs rather than having to buy them as extras) says DVB on the box and quotes a frequency but as its on the boat now I can not check it. I think the numbers (not the units) are just above 600. Even though it specifies DVB it gave a good alignment on the analogue transmitter as well, but I expect its on the same mast in many places.

In two places I swung the aerial through 360 degrees and in each place the box sorted out the best signal. However you do have perhaps 30 degrees of movement where the signal strength remains constant so I simply bisected the arc.

We have a bog standard domestic aerial mounted on an old telescopic tent pole, which drops into two Sash window pull rings screwed to the front of the cratch board, but it is a case of eye up the local houses for general direction, and then fiddle. Quite frankly we often cannot be bothered with it, and play some music instead.

On a slight aside, I was watching a programme on TV recently about the history of Caravanning, and one of the biggest changes the lifelong caravanners all noted was that in the past eveyone sat outside their van on a nice evening and struck up conversation with neighbours, many of whom, became lifelong friends.

However nowadays most people disapear inside for dinner and then switch on the telly for the rest of the evening, missing the opportunity to meet new people. I have noticed a similar trend with boaters, who seem to want to shut themselves away, which is such a shame. Some of the nicest people we have met, have been as a consequence of evening chats on the towpath, which have often developed into a few drinks in the front well as the evening progressed.

Edited by David Schweizer

When our front covers are up it's quite awkward to turn the aerial which is in the middle of the roof so one of the things I like about using a signal strength meter, because unlike the satellite ones they are battery operated I can stand on the towpath holding my spare aerial and turn it to find the direction, then stand up on the roof and simply point the main aerial the same way.

The one I bought (which looks the same as the Maplin one but comes with adaptors for "ordinary" aerial plugs rather than having to buy them as extras) says DVB on the box and quotes a frequency but as its on the boat now I can not check it. I think the numbers (not the units) are just above 600. Even though it specifies DVB it gave a good alignment on the analogue transmitter as well, but I expect its on the same mast in many places.

In two places I swung the aerial through 360 degrees and in each place the box sorted out the best signal. However you do have perhaps 30 degrees of movement where the signal strength remains constant so I simply bisected the arc.

I`d be interested to know if the meter is frequency dependent (i.e. you have to enter a frequency) or not, mainly because it`d be worth having as a transmitter finder if it (only) detects the whole band.

I have to say that the TV itself is far more sensitive than any meter that would be a likely purchase for a non professional aerial installer. That said, I accept that unless you can actually see the TV then aligning an aerial using one can be problematic.

Moving objects are not suitable for terrestrial transmissions. Best use a satellite dish.

Actually it's the other way round. The beamwidth (in layman's terms "peripheral vision") of a terrestrial antenna is much wider than that of a satellite dish.

However, surrounding hedges and the low height of a boat (usually in a valley too) means that the satellite dish wins nearly every time.

With apologies to those that already know this, when you point a normal oval satellite dish "at the satellite", the satellite is actually about 20 degrees or so higher in elevation than the dish would appear to indicate. The dishes are cut in a clever way so that they end up fairly vertical whilst actually pointing about 20 degrees into the air electronically-speaking. So, if it appears there are trees in "line-of-sight", remember that the satellite is actually much higher.

Chris

Edited by chris w

Have just finished a two week cruise. Whilst not specifically slaves to the tv, we do have the odd programme that we like to watch - the weather forecast being one (we are British, after all :lol: ). We got varying results using our omni directional antenna (which wasn't unexpected) and would like to improve reception if we can.

We like the look of some of the small beam - log periodic - antennas, but want to try something that isn't a pig to put up or take down, nor requires (dis)assembly each night/morning.

I like the idea of a truly telscopic pole, about 1m high (the height of our cratchboard), that we can fit to the cratchboard behind the headlight bracket and leave the antenna fixed to. In the morning we can lower the mast, twist the antenna to point towards the stern and rest it on top of the cratch cover.

Does anyone know where we can get a truly telescopic mast of the size suggested that is fairly slender - by telescopic we mean one where the parts slide within each other. It only needs to extend to about 2.5 times its own length, if that and not require overly substantial mounts - we wouldn't extend the mast in strong winds so that we wouldn't need guy ropes.

Have just finished a two week cruise. Whilst not specifically slaves to the tv, we do have the odd programme that we like to watch - the weather forecast being one (we are British, after all :lol: ). We got varying results using our omni directional antenna (which wasn't unexpected) and would like to improve reception if we can.

We like the look of some of the small beam - log periodic - antennas, but want to try something that isn't a pig to put up or take down, nor requires (dis)assembly each night/morning.

I like the idea of a truly telscopic pole, about 1m high (the height of our cratchboard), that we can fit to the cratchboard behind the headlight bracket and leave the antenna fixed to. In the morning we can lower the mast, twist the antenna to point towards the stern and rest it on top of the cratch cover.

Does anyone know where we can get a truly telescopic mast of the size suggested that is fairly slender - by telescopic we mean one where the parts slide within each other. It only needs to extend to about 2.5 times its own length, if that and not require overly substantial mounts - we wouldn't extend the mast in strong winds so that we wouldn't need guy ropes.

This is the neatest way to mount an aerial pole on a boat, though I don`t think much of the crappy contract aerial in the left hand picture ! Putting it on the roof also maximises the height without using a long pole.

The install on the right (mounted on the "gang plank") even has the advantage that you don`t need to drill into your pride and joy. I`d use a straight loft kit screwed straight into it.

Edited by Justin Smith

I use the same mount (albeit a little beefier than that one) and simply drilled and tapped the roof (sealing the screws as well). I use a 1 metre pole that otherwise just lays on the roof with the aerial when not in use, permanently connected via coax cable. The same pole doubles as a satellite dish holder too, by just sliding the aerial mount off the top and replacing it with a slide-on satellite pole mount.

Chris

Edited by chris w