TV aerial

Oliver

Featured Posts

Thanks chaps.

I like the idea of the more or less permanent short stub mast, which I presume can be taken out of the socket - there is a socket isn't there - if you need to pass under low bridges like we did on the Stort last week.

The thought behind the telescopic mast was to get a bit of height gain if needed.

Would be happy to try the short mast first though to see how it gets on. Might need to fix it to a plate that is then clamped to the roof so that we don't drill holes in the roof that we find we don't need if we have to opt for something that will go a bit higher - we moor next to a railway embankment and spend a fair while on the boat on the mooring!

Thanks chaps.

I like the idea of the more or less permanent short stub mast, which I presume can be taken out of the socket - there is a socket isn't there - if you need to pass under low bridges like we did on the Stort last week.

The thought behind the telescopic mast was to get a bit of height gain if needed.

Would be happy to try the short mast first though to see how it gets on. Might need to fix it to a plate that is then clamped to the roof so that we don't drill holes in the roof that we find we don't need if we have to opt for something that will go a bit higher - we moor next to a railway embankment and spend a fair while on the boat on the mooring!

Screw it to your gang plank, that`s what I`d do !

Alternatively, as an experiment tape a longer pole to the tiller. That`s what I do when we hire a boat, (see article link in previous post).

I`d be interested to know if the meter is frequency dependent (i.e. you have to enter a frequency) or not, mainly because it`d be worth having as a transmitter finder if it (only) detects the whole band.

I have to say that the TV itself is far more sensitive than any meter that would be a likely purchase for a non professional aerial installer. That said, I accept that unless you can actually see the TV then aligning an aerial using one can be problematic.

I`ve just had a look at an advert for one of those cheap signal meters and I can`t see any way to enter a frequancy, though to be frank at about £20 you wouldn`t expect such sophistication anyway ! Thus the meter would be very handy for helping one find the strongest available transmitter. That may not be the best one in all instances but it probably would in most.

I still think that using an Omni aerial as a "best signal" finder is the the most accurate method, but an Omni is quite a bit more expensive, and takes up quite a bit more room as well !