pump-out toilet problem

dockgateman

Featured Posts

went to the boat to try and sort out problem with pump-out, made sure domestic batteries were fully charge

problem remain the same, the tank has been pumped-out empty, the make is 'Tecma'control panel with 2 switch,

the bowl fills to correct level 'switch 1' after use it fills again 'switch 2' but it fails to vacuum down to

the tank, can anyone offer advice, roy

went to the boat to try and sort out problem with pump-out, made sure domestic batteries were fully charge

problem remain the same, the tank has been pumped-out empty, the make is 'Tecma'control panel with 2 switch,

the bowl fills to correct level 'switch 1' after use it fills again 'switch 2' but it fails to vacuum down to

Sorry, not any help at all but my first thought was "get rid and fit a dump through".

Sorry - coat

Sorry, not any help at all but my first thought was "get rid and fit a dump through".

Sorry - coat

Oh, I was SO tempted to say that, but I thought, "Nah, leave it! Someone will be along in a minute!" :lol:

Here's your coat ;)

Oh, I was SO tempted to say that, but I thought, "Nah, leave it! Someone will be along in a minute!" :lol:

Here's your coat ;)

I confess, pass me my coat too. Every time I press button 2 (the foot pedal on the side of the stand), the flap swings open and everything disappears

Richard

Does it make a noise like it is trying to vacuum out or not?

There are some tiny electronic switches/solenoids that can fail with this type of loo. Very cheap to replace and readily available but first of all I would check that nothing like a baby wipe has been flushed that could have caused a blockage. If you are the only user then you know what has been put down there but it might be worth checking with any other users of the boat because not everyone is familiar with how sensitive these loos can be to anything other than things that naturally pass out of the body!

We always use the cheapest loo roll available and make sure nothing else gets flushed and have never had a problem

(p.s. - new boat? please do share her with us! Where is The Lady B now?)

Does the pump actually run? If it does not it could be seized, jammed by a foreign body or the fuse has blown. If it runs then it's probably a blockage after the pump.

Hang on, is it a macerator or a vacuflush?

Mine says vacuum flush on the control panel but is most definitely a macerator.

If it's a macerator, does the macerator spin? If it does then the chances are you've got something wrapped around it. If it doesn't spin then the pump motor either has a loose connection (could be between the panel and pump) or something wrong with it or the solenoid.

Hang on, is it a macerator or a vacuflush?

Mine says vacuum flush on the control panel but is most definitely a macerator.

If it's a macerator, does the macerator spin? If it does then the chances are you've got something wrapped around it. If it doesn't spin then the pump motor either has a loose connection (could be between the panel and pump) or something wrong with it or the solenoid.

yes, i have been there, my problem was wet wipes, macerator pumps do not like wet wipes

alan

yes, i have been there, my problem was wet wipes, macerator pumps do not like wet wipes

alan

or other things.......when my little girl became a little lady last year I had to dismantle the loo after a long days cruise to remove a pad. The thought hadn't crossed anyones mind before then, now we have a bin!!

If my loo decides to stick or not pump etc, 1st solution which has always worked (except for the above occasion) is to reach behind it, grab the rubber down pipe (like a u bend) and give it a few squeezes, then similar with the rubber pipe to the tank.

Then try to flush again.

Our pump-out waste tank had a blockage on the discharge pipe within the tank. Rather than face an expensive bill to have the toilet pan removed in order to clear the problem, I made this device out of a spare skin fitting cap, a 1/2" BSP tank fitting and a brass quick release garden hose connection.

By simply replacing the normal cap and fitting this device in its place, then connecting the water hose at the marina to the quick release fitting, the blockage was soon cleared and enabled the pump-out to be carried out. The culprit was found to be a tack rag that had been inadvertently dropped into the tank whilst the boat was being fitted out.

Mike

335f521.jpg

1532pnl.jpg

28jkuc9.jpg

Edited by Doorman

Non-return valve could have calcified and stuck. This happened to the sole Techma we run last year.

Non-return valve could have calcified and stuck. This happened to the sole Techma we run last year.

Hi Richard,

did it happen twice? :P

Sorry in advance,

Mike

If its not making a whirring noise like it is trying to macerate (assuming its a macerator loo and not vacu) then the fuse might have either blown, or if in the unit itself like mine, it can pop out of the holder. Can be caused by repeatedly trying to flush over and over, or doing so against a blockage. The fuse on mine is situated in the gubbins at the back of the loo, so easy to reach.

If its not making a whirring noise like it is trying to macerate (assuming its a macerator loo and not vacu) then the fuse might have either blown, or if in the unit itself like mine, it can pop out of the holder. Can be caused by repeatedly trying to flush over and over, or doing so against a blockage. The fuse on mine is situated in the gubbins at the back of the loo, so easy to reach.

Happened twice to me too! :D

I do love my Porta Potti, 35 years and not one problem, I did buy a new one twenty years ago, but not had to use it yet.

Jesus, 35 years of trudging along to the Elsan, risking being splashed upon by the outrushing effluent. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes!

Of course, this is my personal opinion and I don't wish to have offensive material flung at me, everytime I pass some poor soul emptying the contents of his processed meals at the Elsan point. :help:

Mike

Happened twice to me too! :D

:lol:

Ha! You beat me to it. :clapping:

I do love my Porta Potti, 35 years and not one problem, I did buy a new one twenty years ago, but not had to use it yet.

Stop saying it like it is.............why the hell would anyone use a porta potti or cassette ? They are useless, never go wrong, dont take up valuable storage space, dont cost a small fortune, can be emptied in vastly more disposal points and when you pull up on the elsan point its two strides to empty it for free in seconds whilst said pumpout brigade piss around with smelly hoses AND PAY for the privelige :lol: you couldnt make it up............

Tim

• Greenie 1

Stop saying it like it is.............why the hell would anyone use a porta potti or cassette ? They are useless, never go wrong, dont take up valuable storage space, dont cost a small fortune, can be emptied in vastly more disposal points and when you pull up on the elsan point its two strides to empty it for free in seconds whilst said pumpout brigade piss around with smelly hoses AND PAY for the privelige :lol: you couldnt make it up............

Tim

Our porta potti is broke :unsure:

Tim

Hi Tim,

you are obviously having a laugh with those comments. I really thought Bernard Manning's script writer had retired years ago.

In the 35 years of Porta Potti use, it would have taken us 420 visits to empty our waste tank. Compare that with the probable twice weekly visits to the Elsan with your cherished potti. It takes us 3.5 minutes to empty our tank once a month, therefore, the only boaters with Porta Potties who could compete with that scheule of events would have to be anorexic.

Whilst being temporarily confined to our Marina, I have had the benefit of witnessing those poor potti owning individuals, whom wrap their cassettes in a black bin bag to retain their dignity, then stealthily hurry them into the boot of their car, in readiness for the journey to the Elsan point that's positioned on the far side of the Marina. There, they risk the embarrassment of ES (effluent splashback) whilst pointing the discharge end of the cassette down the pan. If they are very lucky, the Elsan will have been left by the previous user in a suitable condition, if not, they will be exposed to other people's sewage that's been left splashed against the walls.

The less fortunate will trudge a distance over to the Elsan, pulling their last few days worth of deposits behind them on a trolley, in all weathers. Some, due to the restrictive size of their cassettes, even make the journey on a daily basis! Are you getting the picture yet?

I could earn a living chronicling the events to form the basis of a sit-com for TV viewing. 'You really couldn't make it up' would be the query from the television producers. Third world comparisons come to mind.

Incidently, in case of emergencies, we also have a Porta Potti tucked away somewhere on our boat. It has never come out of its wrapper since purchase, such is the need for one of these when you've been wise enough to opt for a pump-out system at the outset.

Mike

Edited by Doorman
  • Greenie 1

Hear hear that man........ :cheers:

My thoughts exactly. Although a dump through is the better solution for pumpouts

Totally agree.

A typical example of the limitations of macerator toilets, is one of the sewage system at the Shroppie Fly pub in Audlem. An age old covenant dictates that the tenants of the pub are responsible for the sewage waste not only from their own toilets, but also from the Elsan point that's adjacent to the pub.

Quite recently, the landlord had to fork out a couple of thousand pounds to replace the 3 phase powered macerator sump pump, that sits in a well situated near to the pub. The original pump had seized up due to the fact that on a regualr basis (about every 28 days), the waste deposited in the Elsan disposal unit contained sanitory towels and tampons.

These pumps are not designed to be able to cope with such things and consequently, their operational life span is drastically reduced through mis-use of the Elsan facility. The pub on the other hand, has appropriate bins situated within the ladies toilets for the disposal of these feminine articles.

What chance therefore, has a simple 12v macerator pump got if an industrial type alternative can't cope with these items?

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Hi Tim,

you are obviously having a laugh with those comments. I really thought Bernard Manning's script writer had retired years ago.

In the 35 years of Porta Potti use, it would have taken us 420 visits to empty our waste tank. Compare that with the probable twice weekly visits to the Elsan with your cherished potti. It takes us 3.5 minutes to empty our tank once a month, therefore, the only boaters with Porta Potties who could compete with that scheule of events would have to be anorexic.

Whilst being temporarily confined to our Marina, I have had the benefit of witnessing those poor potti owning individuals, whom wrap their cassettes in a black bin bag to retain their dignity, then stealthily hurry them into the boot of their car, in readiness for the journey to the Elsan point that's positioned on the far side of the Marina. There, they risk the embarrassment of ES (effluent splashback) whilst pointing the discharge end of the cassette down the pan. If they are very lucky, the Elsan will have been left by the previous user in a suitable condition, if not, they will be exposed to other people's sewage that's been left splashed against the walls.

The less fortunate will trudge a distance over to the Elsan, pulling their last few days worth of deposits behind them on a trolley, in all weathers. Some, due to the restrictive size of their cassettes, even make the journey on a daily basis! Are you getting the picture yet?

I could earn a living chronicling the events to form the basis of a sit-com for TV viewing. 'You really couldn't make it up' would be the query from the television producers. Third world comparisons come to mind.

Incidently, in case of emergencies, we also have a Porta Potti tucked away somewhere on our boat. It has never come out of its wrapper since purchase, such is the need for one of these when you've been wise enough to opt for a pump-out system at the outset.

Mike

There is nothing quite like the sheer nobility of a PUMP-OUT vs CASSETTE discussion,it makes a refreshing change from pseudo-submarines and dubious boat repair claims.

This eternal debate does polarise boaters views somewhat,personally,i am inclined to agree with SMELLY'S view.

All pump out systems have the ability to make a boat unusable,and they are only really necessary on hire craft and passenger vessels.

Our boat has most of the creature comforts that most boaters would consider worthwhile,but the good old fashioned,and utterly reliable CASSETTE LOO is the most practical and convenient.

Having repaired many 'sophisticated' toilet systems on boats,i would still say that the 'simpler the better' always applies.

When i was in the hire boat sector of boating,the most favoured loos were the HAMPTON ones,made in OULTON broad,suffolk.

Hampton's are a blend of pump-out and cassette,they consist of a household type of toilet seat,with a balanced flap,on top of whichever size tank that the compartment would allow

the toilet was emptied by a standard deck fitting with 2 inch hose .

Never had a service call to a hampton loo,those folk on the norfolk broads have been in the boat hire business longer than anyone.

the other big advantage with this type of toilet is that it be removed from the boat for periodic cleaning,in 5 minutes flat.