Thames conditions

blackrose

Featured Posts

A reality check is needed.

Perhaps the Gov't will have a brainwave and create huge projects to address the problem and provide much needed employment.

In your dreams, Sonny.

You mean shovels in place of benefit payments, dig them out by hand and employ 3 thousand workers. :wacko:

We were on the EA mooring below Penton Hook lock Friday night, both boats needed to empty elsans and fill with water so yesterday we both moved down and are now moored behind Desborough Island. The cruise down was uneventful bur fast, although turning was interesting. Woke up this AM to find that levels have risen about 4 or 5 inches, and they are still rising, 6 more inches and it is over the bank. Our first experience of such conditions on the Thames. We have scrabble and loads of books on board,

Dont forget that when RED boards are displayed,the EA will allow you to moor on the lock lay-by or anywhere in a lock cut.

1335699406[/url]' post='863221']

Looks like it's going to continue raining throughout next week...! No rowing this morning with the stream conditions as they are, never mind the wind!

The wind was a bit speedy wasn't it! It took 4 strapping folks to get a boat back (plus the engine) at silly o clock this morning when the rear mooring ropes came undone on my neighbours boat

Edited by Bones

I went to a meeting at Taplow Court this morning, so I walked from Maidenhead station over the Thames bridge (Taplow station is closed on Sundays), at 9am the water was just below Maidenhead visitor moorings, by 1pm when I came back they were flooded.

Edited by Lady Muck

You mean shovels in place of benefit payments, dig them out by hand and employ 3 thousand workers. :wacko:

They did that round here in the 1930's and built a road and railway that is still in use today....................course we're are more civilised these days.

Be aware of the back eddys topside of chertsey bridge,there be dragons there!

try and moor on the lock entrance of the lock island,not the weir side of the water point,will be calmer there

Good advice. Don't forget that flows will increase through bridge holes too. I spent a very hairy 20 minutes once trying to push through chertsey bridge at what felt like 1/10 mph

The red boards followed us down from Abingdon to Caversham on Saturday. No problems just a bit fast. Have stopped above the lock with the lockie's permission. Wanted to get up onto the K.and A. but decided that it was wiser not to try and punch up through the oracle until it was a bit calmer. Bunny

A quick note for rodgarrish I assume you are on the green that used to be part of Shepperton Manor's garden where you can walk through past the Cricket club. If you go about 100 yards upstream past the big house but go to the right side of the Sailing club there is a public mooring on a foating pontoon which is a short walk to the two pubs. Hope that makes sense

Flows on the Thames have really increased over the past couple of days, Most reaches are on yellow "Stream Increasing" warnings and a few are on Red Boards.

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

It's probably running past me at about 3 knots now. What happens to all this water - will most of it just run out to sea or are they abstracting it to fill up the reservoirs?

Unfortunately, as OldGoat said in a previous post, most of the river extraction will have stopped. The flow rates are to high and the levels of turbidity are to high (to muddy). If they extract with high levels of turbidity the reservoirs would silt up.

So the answer to the question is yes, it will just be running out to sea, not filling the reservoirs and not replenishing ground water.

Unfortunately, as OldGoat said in a previous post, most of the river extraction will have stopped. The flow rates are to high and the levels of turbidity are to high (to muddy). If they extract with high levels of turbidity the reservoirs would silt up.

So the answer to the question is yes, it will just be running out to sea, not filling the reservoirs and not replenishing ground water.

Hi Pj has there been enough rain down there to transform the Oxford back to water instead of mud yet ? :cheers:

Me

I should hope so to.......

How else can we have 'yoof afloat' :lol:

Blimey is it that time of year again....must be nearly time for a couple of old guys on a couple of old bikes to depart to france soon then ? :cheers:

Tim

Tonka

Thanks for that, you are right we are on the green, we are fine here we are on the rings, we walked up to Shepperton lock this morning, lockie said he thought levels are about peak at. the moment. It is just lapping onto the grass. We wait to see what the expected rain tonight brings. Thanks again.

Still running very quick around Weybridge. I decided I had to move from Walton as I was on pins and they were underwater this morning.

Hoped to get to Chertsey as I'm low on water but had such struggle against the stream I'm now happily moored at Shepperton lock in calm water. The lock keeper's advice is that it should be safe to move up on Wednesday so I'll stay put till then.

Ironically it's been a beautiful day so I've been exploring the area by bike.

Flows on the Thames have really increased over the past couple of days, Most reaches are on yellow "Stream Increasing" warnings and a few are on Red Boards.

Just spent two cold and windy nights on a Le Boat Caprice at Benson waiting in vain for slacker water before abandoning ship and returning home to Rugby. Le Boat won't allow you to take a boat out in either of the Yellow alert states, regardless of your boating experience. Moored next to 3 Le Boat Classiques full of noisy Poles who'd driven over from Gdansk in 3 camper vans only to be told they weren't going anywhere except camping on the boats in the hire base. Owing to Le Boat's conditions including a 'Force Majeure' clause, they won't tell you not to turn up nor offer a committed opinion as to whether you're likely to get away during your hire term and stress that the decision is yours alone.

For the pageant they are closing it, I am hoping that the plan is to close it a little after low water so that people have the tide to help them get into position and the Thames does not look too muddy ... I suspect that rehearsals will be easier in some ways as the tide will be there pushing people along.

We had the barge rehearsal last weekend and it was definitely interesting boating !

From Battersea down to Gallions Reach and back to Chelsea Harbour..

Unfortunately we were the only barge without a wheelhouse ! LOL

Chris

Just spent two cold and windy nights on a Le Boat Caprice at Benson waiting in vain for slacker water before abandoning ship and returning home to Rugby. Le Boat won't allow you to take a boat out in either of the Yellow alert states, regardless of your boating experience. Moored next to 3 Le Boat Classiques full of noisy Poles who'd driven over from Gdansk in 3 camper vans only to be told they weren't going anywhere except camping on the boats in the hire base. Owing to Le Boat's conditions including a 'Force Majeure' clause, they won't tell you not to turn up nor offer a committed opinion as to whether you're likely to get away during your hire term and stress that the decision is yours alone.

All of the thames locks are displaying RED boards at present,this has been the case for the last 2 days.