Thames conditions

blackrose

Featured Posts

Unfortunately, even though we live in one of the most temperate climatic countries in the world no-one has seen fit to try and capitalise on our weather. As with most of the rain that falls, it either floods low lying areas where the ground cannot soak it up for one reason or another; it runs into rivers causing mayhem in places like York, Sheffield, Stratford etc etc and then it runs out to sea.

We have a friend whom is a retired fireman and he claimed that most of the problems from flooding that he encountered, eminated from the short sighted planning commitees who allowed developers to create housing estates on flood plains.

That, together with the fact that the EA employees whom used to clear culverts etc., to allow flood water to be safely directed away from potential problem areas, were made redundant because some bean counter decided that they were no longer needed! :wacko:

Mike

How long given no more heavy rain should it take for the river to return to navigable conditions? Days? A couple of weeks? I need to plan a trip away but can't go anywhere at the moment!!!

As of last night,there is a yellow board displayed at ST. JOHNS lock,the highest one on the thames.

May even be able to do some boating in a few days time? <_<

I went up to Walingford yesterday to try and move the boat. Now Wallingford may have a few funny effects with the bridge holding back flow but the first bad sign was that car park was flooded, the next was that water was higher then it was on Tuesday (my memory of the weir levels suggested it should have been lower) and the flow was seriously fast - basically at reasonably fast walking pace. Fantastic turbulence through the bridge

Water has dropped by a further 300mm overnight so will try again today ....

As of last night,there is a yellow board displayed at ST. JOHNS lock,the highest one on the thames.

May even be able to do some boating in a few days time? <_<

Just talked with the lock keeper at Boveney Lock, by Windsor Race Course. The weirs are presently at full draw - LOTS of water still coming down - but the river has started to fall. They MAY turn to yellow board in the next day or two, but maybe not. Depends on how much more rain we get!

If the Thames goes up and down I'm happy, as the lock keepers are still able to manage things. If it stopped playing see-saw and just continued to rise and get faster ... I'd begin to worry!

Crafts and antiques fair in the Guildhall in Windsor today ... if anyone hanging around is interested.

Still at Caversham. Water going down below the lock, staying steady above. Flow has steadied up. Hope to leave on Saturday. Bunny.

The tail water at a lock is always the bit that goes up and down the most. The head water hardly moves by comparison.

Day 10th stuck in wallingford for us. Not much change in the river today but more red boards upstream and more helpless downstream compared to this morning.

With the rain forecast for Wednesday and Thursday still to come I can't see yellow boards appearing here before the weekend :(

"Helpless" should read yellows....stupid 'smart'phone!