Hose pipe ban

Troyboy

Featured Posts

I notice that the water companies have specifically included no washing private leisure boats in their 11- point diktat to stop people beating the forthcoming hosepipe ban . I'm pleased I got my boat pressure washed and hull blacked last week .

I notice that the water companies have specifically included no washing private leisure boats in their 11- point diktat to stop people beating the forthcoming hosepipe ban . I'm pleased I got my boat pressure washed and hull blacked last week .

Devastated! No water to wash the boat? Where on earth can I find some, not too far away?

I may have to just rely on that wet, canal-shaped thing just under my hull...

I think, assuming the pressure wash was part of the blacking process, and was undertaken in a dry dock, it would be exempt

But as Dog said, for cleaning the beer stains and bird droppings off, a mop in the cut should sort it...

Seven water companies across southern and eastern England are to introduce hosepipe bans amid drought conditions. However, for the first time it will now become an offence just to own a hosepipe.

A sliding scale of fines will be introduced, with serious or repeat offences attracting custodial sentences. The sale of hosepipes and hosepipe paraphernalia will also be banned under the new rules.

The lowest level of offence will be possession of a hosepipe or a functioning outside tap. Possession of hosepipe reels, connectors and nozzles will also be included in this category.

A more serious offence will be possession with intent to supply water. This will cover hosepipes left connected to an outdoor tap, but will also include a pipe connected to an indoor tap and passed through a window or door.

The highest level of offence will be the use of a hose in the commissioning of a dousing, or the possession of a Class A hosepipe - one that is installed into a garden for timed watering purposes. These offences will usually carry a custodial sentence, and will also mean that the perpetrator's details will be added to the Hosepipe Offenders' Register.

The new ban will also see watering equipment such as watering cans with a capacity greater than six litres and Super Soaker water pistols over 450mm long being reclassified as hosepipes.

A licensing system for exempt hosepipes is being brought in to cover the Fire Service, building trade and petrol pumps. All exempt hoses will be green and yellow in colour, and will be stamped with a unique reference number. The water companies have agreed to manage the register of exempt hosepipes, and will charge an annual licence fee of £300 per hose.

A hosepipe amnesty will operate until the end of April, allowing members of the public to turn in their hosepipes to their local police station for disposal. Then, from May 1st a new CrimeStoppers hosepipe hotline will open, and callers will be eligible for cash rewards for information leading to prosecution for hosepipe ownership. A photo of someone with a hose will be considered incriminating, but a particularly clean car, a full pond or a really green lawn will all be grounds for further investigation.

The complete ban on domestic hosepipe ownership is expected to have some additional effects. Water companies say that in addition to a lowering of the quantity of water used across the regions, they expect to see reductions in the number of car exhaust-related suicides, police suspect beatings and the illegal siphoning of fuel.

Naughty. But very funny :cheers:

Quite right too!

As long as it is still ok to use a hose to fill the water tank... else there'll be a run on cans!

Funny enough that was going to be my question, is filling a water tank on on a boat included in a hose pipe ban, or are you still allowed to

Devastated! No water to wash the boat? Where on earth can I find some, not too far away?

I may have to just rely on that wet, canal-shaped thing just under my hull...

I think the OP makes a valid point, please re-read the post.

Does pressure washing a boat prior to be being blacked constitute 'washing a leisure boat' under the terms of a hosepipe ban.

It's an interesting question.

Funny enough that was going to be my question, is filling a water tank on on a boat included in a hose pipe ban, or are you still allowed to

A hosepipe ban is not normally a ban on using a hosepipe 'period'.

It's a ban on using them for a list of specific purposes, which does not include filling the domestic water tank on a boat.

This also occurred to me today actually! I can't see how filling a boat tank would be exempt, but then neither can I see how it would not...

It is - see my post above - you are fine.

Seven water companies across southern and eastern England are to introduce hosepipe bans amid drought conditions. However, for the first time it will now become an offence just to own a hosepipe.

A sliding scale of fines will be introduced, with serious or repeat offences attracting custodial sentences. The sale of hosepipes and hosepipe paraphernalia will also be banned under the new rules.

The lowest level of offence will be possession of a hosepipe or a functioning outside tap. Possession of hosepipe reels, connectors and nozzles will also be included in this category.

A more serious offence will be possession with intent to supply water. This will cover hosepipes left connected to an outdoor tap, but will also include a pipe connected to an indoor tap and passed through a window or door.

The highest level of offence will be the use of a hose in the commissioning of a dousing, or the possession of a Class A hosepipe - one that is installed into a garden for timed watering purposes. These offences will usually carry a custodial sentence, and will also mean that the perpetrator's details will be added to the Hosepipe Offenders' Register.

The new ban will also see watering equipment such as watering cans with a capacity greater than six litres and Super Soaker water pistols over 450mm long being reclassified as hosepipes.

A licensing system for exempt hosepipes is being brought in to cover the Fire Service, building trade and petrol pumps. All exempt hoses will be green and yellow in colour, and will be stamped with a unique reference number. The water companies have agreed to manage the register of exempt hosepipes, and will charge an annual licence fee of £300 per hose.

A hosepipe amnesty will operate until the end of April, allowing members of the public to turn in their hosepipes to their local police station for disposal. Then, from May 1st a new CrimeStoppers hosepipe hotline will open, and callers will be eligible for cash rewards for information leading to prosecution for hosepipe ownership. A photo of someone with a hose will be considered incriminating, but a particularly clean car, a full pond or a really green lawn will all be grounds for further investigation.

The complete ban on domestic hosepipe ownership is expected to have some additional effects. Water companies say that in addition to a lowering of the quantity of water used across the regions, they expect to see reductions in the number of car exhaust-related suicides, police suspect beatings and the illegal siphoning of fuel.

CALL 0845 820 820 HOSESTOPPERS

Edited by matty40s

A hosepipe ban is not normally a ban on using a hosepipe 'period'.

It's a ban on using them for a list of specific purposes, which does not include filling the domestic water tank on a boat.

Are you sure about that? I only ask because I recall a while back we used to water the garden with bathwater, and we were told that it would be fine to cart it down the stairs and out of the door in buckets, but not to siphon it out of the window with a hose. I would be happier if there were an explicit exemption for water tank filling rather than it being left to some local aparatchik's discretion.

I understand the arguments about pressure washing, but surely domestic pressure washing of cars and patios etc will be banned? It wastes an incredible amount of water. For the same reason I would be dubious about the morality of pressure washing a whole hull, exemption or not, when alternatives are available.

And as for using drinking water to wash a boat - unforgivable at any time, let alone in a drought.

On the rare occasion that Nightwatch has a wash I use the hose from the galley tap. (in the middle of nowhere, location, not the galley tap.)

Will I be able to continue this method?

Martyn

I certainly hope not. It is no different from using water straight from the water point, other than the fact that no one sees you doing it.

Water tank? Luxury!

I know. :blush:

Are you sure about that?

Yes -

what you describe is using the water to hydrate your garden via. a hose probably/likely prohibited.

Even if it wasn't - filling a boat water tank via. a hose is outside the restrictions that will be imposed by the water co.s.

Edited by MJG

<snip>

I've printed this out to put on the club notice board. Have a greenie

I certainly hope not. It is no different from using water straight from the water point, other than the fact that no one sees you doing it.

But, but I have had to heat the water up, so is it not mine?

Martyn :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm always amazed when I see people using hosepipes to wash boats that are floating in thousands of gallons of water. Especially when they're sitting on water points to do so. Haven't they tried buckets, mops, sponges, elbow grease etc?

Hand car washes, being done by, er, hand, surely will not affected. At least at our nearest one they do not appear to use hosepipes. As for the automatic ones, you could be right.