carpet pros and cons

a.p.now

Featured Posts

hay hay another queston for you all,

im thinking about chuking down a deep underlay and a carpet. i think my wooden floor is just to cold and seems to do some sort of convector afect were it stays cold all the time apart from by the fire. is it worth the thawt or am i draming.

i know it can get messy but i was thinking a bage or somthing sort of coffee with spekles on to hide some of it and hate to say i do have a hoover on here. not that i use it much thay dont like ash a grate deal hahaha.

i just thawt in the bedroom and sitingroom it may be a nice adition to help ceep it warm also my girlfrend would like it i think and she seems to hate shoes.

what do you think.

also will damp be a problem i seem to have quite a dry boat for an oldy

:cheers:

For use in the saloon and near stove I buy a couple of cheap rugs and expect to replace them after a year or so as they tend to

get dirt trodden in from entering boat and ash/coal related damage. For other parts of the boat try carpet shops for cheap offcuts, get thin carpet and you can cut it to size. I didn't have the money for solid wood flooring (my ideal choice) and didn't trust laminate in a potentially damp environment so used self adhesive imitation laminate flooring instead for use under the rugs to protect the floor.To my great surprise over three years later it's still in perfect nick, really easy to repair if needs be and a total doddle to fit/cut to size.

Our boat originally was fitted with carpet in the lounge, bedroom and rear/back cabin. The previous owners ripped it out presumably because (as we under stand it) they had two dogs and didn't find it practical.

They replaced it with wood effect Karndean flooring which appealed to us as dog owners. It is easy to keep clean and eminently practical on a narrowboat and hard wearing too. We would have loved a real wood floor too like a hire boat we once hired had.

Personally I would keep your wooden floor and chuck down a few rugs/mats with non slip backing in strategic places rather than cover it up with a carpet -

laminated flooring is better than wood, as it dont take the damp.

dont get the thin stuff 6mm as it can distort due to temp keep changing on boat.

get the 12mm min and you be alright.

then as op meted a rug. will look fab. easy to keep clean

ive had laminate and 18mm wooden floor. and the laminate suited the enviriment better

col

I find even with carpet the floor is still really cold and it does need vacuuming eventually. We're probably going to replace this for wood and use rugs as it is a pig to clean.

I can recommend Hommies slippers these go on my feet the second I come through the door and keep my feet toasty warm. I hate having cold feet.

Sealine in their ultimate wisdom fitted 80% wool cream carpets throughout the cabin of NC. Looks great when it is freshly washed and clean, but that fresh look doesnt last two minutes. It gets filthy in no time. We have had some synthetic over carpets made in a similar colour that are easier to keep clean due to the materials they are made from but they still show up the dirt something cronic and need regular washing as well as vaccing. In an ideal world we would change it for wood flooring but that is at the end of a long long list of jobs to do for now.

Currently we have part of the boat fitted with wood flooring (the 'lounge' - it's all we've got round to at the moment) but son, who is working on the interior over the winter, wants to put down carpet tiles to be "more cosy" . Seems a reasonable idea, as you can move them around if they get too stained, and replace any that get too dirty or worn out without too much expense.

Mrs T writes:

We have heavy duty carpet tiles fitted throughout then washable rugs on top. Tiles are cleaned with carpet shampoo once a year and rugs just put in the washing machine at home as and when they get dirty, usually thanks to our mucky hound.

Mrs T

I use polypropylene (the same stuff as floating mooring line is made from) gel backed carpet. The gel backing looks like rubber. It is hard and a bit spiky but very long lasting and can be taken out and hosed/scrubbed off. IT also seems very damp resistant. A Turtle may at the base of the front and rear steps plus a type of vinyl flooring that has small non-slip mineral granuals in it (bathroom vinyl) is on the rear steps and about 2ft into the back cabin. The toilet, passage outside the toilet and the kitchen has the standard cushion floor vinyl as fitted when we bought the boat 12 years ago. We find that combination works very well and yes, the carpet does need a going over with a stiff brush a couple of times a week but we are very happy with it. We do not have pets but when visiting dogs come aboard it still seems fine.

We have fitted carpet in saloon/dinette and bedroom, Lino in kitchen and bathroom. It's speckley greyish colour that doesn't show dirt easily, however we got it with the expectation to have to replace from time to time - it is such a small area compared to a house that cost is pretty low and you could use remenants.

You do need to be able to hoover, we have a TravelPower for when away, and shore power in the marina, with a great Dyson cylinder. If we we only had 12v I think I would want to avoid carpet. Car vacs tend to redistribute dust from the carpet to the air!

solid mahogany, slate tiles

Definitley do not cover except may be with the odd rug, bath mat for the bathroom just so that leaving the shower or bath is not unpleasant shock. ;)

ps. just my opinion, it would be a shame to cover two such lovely surfaces.

solid mahogany, slate tiles

Definitley do not cover except may be with the odd rug, bath mat for the bathroom just so that leaving the shower or bath is not unpleasant shock. ;)

ps. just my opinion, it would be a shame to cover two such lovely surfaces.

I must agree I thought the same when I read that - a real shame to cover up..

Flotex is good. It's a bit pricey, but you can fit it using just a Stanley knife and then it is waterproof and practically dirtproof - you can just wash the mud out of it - and extremely long-lasting. We still have the original after 20 years, and it gets hard use especially with the amount of mud the dogs bring in.

Hi all

I'mgoing to swim against the tide (again!). We laid carpet and underlay in Resolute's saloon, dark blue with a small floral motif, and it's done well for 10 years. Having 240 volts on board we use a small vacuum cleaner regularly and use a carpet cleaner from time to time. Please bear in mind that we have no direct access into the saloon from the front bulkhead - instead we step down into the galley from side doors directly at the end of the saloon, giving us a chance to remove muddy boots first. Neither do we have animals to consider, don't think I'd go down the carpet route with dogs! Carpet tiles are another option, if need be they can be lifted and washed when soiled.

Hope that this helps.

Dave