How to get your aluminium windlass out of the cut

Chris Hills

Featured Posts

I was given this piece of advice this week and wondered if everyone already knew this and I was just slow on the uptake

Put 3 steel jubilee clips around the shaft and use a magnet!!

Chris

Yes it works. I have a strong magnet though. (Ex Radar Magnetron). Mine worked when the windlass owner with a small horseshoe magnet could feel the magnet clicking on to the windlass but dropping it as she tried to lift it. she had only two clips, maybe three is better. Checking first that the magnet will lift the windlass by the clips before relying on it might be a good idea.

Hi.

My advice is that if your aluminium windlass falls in the cut, leave it there, better still throw it in yourself.

I have had two of these windlasses break off at the handle. Luckily I was uninjured but I consider them to be dangerous. The steel ones may be heavier and not feel so comfortable stuck down the back of your trousars but they are much safer.

Seagull.

I was given this piece of advice this week and wondered if everyone already knew this and I was just slow on the uptake

Put 3 steel jubilee clips around the shaft and use a magnet!!

How do you put the jubilee clips on while it's on the bottom of the canal? :P

Seriously, I imagine those protruding clips would occasionally take some skin off while you're using it.

Edited by blackrose

Glue ( Araldite or another make of very strong adhesive ) a couple of thin steel strips ( coat hanger? ) to the windlass neater than jubilee clips and no sharp edges.

Or wrap with thin steel wire drill a couple of small holes through the windlass at the start and finish of the binding area put the wire through the holes twice and make sure there is not a sharp bit sticking out finish the other end the same way.

Or wrap with thin steel wire drill a couple of small holes through the windlass at the start and finish of the binding area put the wire through the holes twice and make sure there is not a sharp bit sticking out finish the other end the same way.

Like Seagull I have seen these things snap in half, (both the "Walsh" type and even the expensive "Dunton Double").

I would not want to drill even a small hole into one for fear of further weakening what may not always be strong enough in the first place.

I understand why you would want to retrive your expensive ali windlass but surly by covering it with steel you are defeating the point, just hook out a steel one with your magnet!

Even better when it is someone not even assosciated with your boat that volunteers to do the retrieving!.......

DSCF3984.JPG

Yes, this hero really did strip down and get one back for us!

you held him down with the stick didn't you......

Edited by matty40s

Even better when it is someone not even assosciated with your boat that volunteers to do the retrieving!.......

DSCF3984.JPG

I'll bet it was one of those rare hot summer days (remember them when the temperatures were above 10 deg C) and he was desperate for an excuse to cool down.

I too do not trust aluminium windlass' they just do not feel strong enough. Would not ever drill a hole in one.

There should be no problem with using an aluminium windlass providing it's been designed to be strong enough to resist a certain level of flexing. It's the flexing that will promote a fatigue failure, so just replicating a steel windlass in aluminium is not such a good idea.

DSCF3984.JPG

He's got some good lats that lad - probably why he didn't mind getting his kit off

..... the one I threw to the wife on the GU is still there ......

It may not. The absence of boat movements means the water is so clear (unless it's) ice such that that whilst walking yesterday, we spotted an ali windlass and subsequently retrieved it with a boathook. Also found a mooring stake.

Tell me exactly where you lost it on the GU, and you can have it back. Actually, you can have it anyway as they are 'orrible things. This is my windlass of choice.

P1060270.jpg

Edited by Ian Bingham