What got you into boating in the first place?

dave moore

Featured Posts

Hi all

The March issue of Waterways World arrived last week. It carried an article on the now famous Stourbridge Rally of 1962 and I suddenly realised that my first foray into canals and boats was 50 years ago!! As a schoolboy I joined the crew of my school's narrowboat "Bumblebee" and attended this event, tho' with little insight into the political significance of it (well, I was only 13 or so). The boat was normally kept at Harris Bros yard at Netherton, also known as Bumblehole and it was there that I ahd the good fortune to meet Malcolm Braine and "Cactus", his FMC motor boat. Malcolm encouraged me and opened my eyes to a wider waterways horizon. I helped restore the 16 locks at Stourbridge, caught the end of carrying with Bimingham and Miidland Canal Carrying co., was lucky to booat in the late 60s with Tony Phillips on "Tay", the gas boat he'd bought from Thos Clayton when they ceased carrying. I also helped convert Grange, an FMC butty to a shorter motor boat. Its ownwer gave me a copy of Rolt's "Narrow Boat" and this struck a chord in my young self which resonates to this day. I still enjoy boating, love the architecture of the system and am happy to be "away from it all" from time to time. I won't dwell on those changes which I'm less keen on (and yes, there are a few) but would invite you to add your early experiences. I'm lucky, I think, to have caught the canals before leisure took over completely.Over to you!

Cheers

Dave

Being born in a fishing city my love of boats has always been a part of me. I always dreamed of living on an converted trawler, but common sense prevailed :) Then 30 years ago I fell in love with narrowboats and our canal system, so much so that my first encounter was working on 'saturdays' cleaning out narrowboats for a well known hire company.

This progressed with my husband and I working for the same hire company. After fitting out our first narrowboat and its eventually sale, this helped us to set up our own boatfitting company.

After jointly owning 2 previous narrowboats and an absense of many years of not having a boat, I finally bought my own narrowboat last year, and look forward to many happy years cruising the system and introducing and educating my children and friends to the wonders of our beautiful waterways, with its valuable history.

The waterways are part of our heritage and should be preserved for future generations to enjoy and protect :)

We had some Tesco vouchers and their magazine offered 4 to 1 in value. A narrowboat holiday was available so we had a free holiday (ok nothing in life is free) using the vouchers.

Our first journey was up the Severn to Stourport and beyond. That started my, and then our, interest in narrowboats. Holiday number two was the Four Counties ring over two weeks, quite leisurely. On our third holiday, from Eynsham on the Thames to Cropredy (and back), we spotted the boat which is now ours. No plan to buy save a passing thought about how much we enjoyed the waterways and how much we could save if we owned our own (ok last bit was a weak reason). However, we have had numerous weekends "away", holidays around the Leicestershire Ring and the Cheshire Ring. I just cannot wait for the next day, or weekend away, it is such a pull that I spot waterways whilst on trains, cars, even just walking along the Trent where I can watch my daughter row and spot narrowboats entering the nottingham beeston or just mooored up next to county hall.

Guess the Broads when I was a young child got me hooked, and the occasional boating holiday since. As for canals, it was one cold and wet day walking along the Lancaster canal - coincided with talking to swmbo about a weekend 'bolt-hole' - then we saw a cruiser for sale and thought - now there is an idea. 12 months later, after seeing a lot of boats, we became the happy owners of a NB. Must admit, the canals have turned out nothing like I expected - rather they have been better in every respect!

1974 in the summer age about 21 or 22, working on a shop 'spruce up' at Burtons in Lincoln - next to the Witham and High Bridge. Watching the boats and saying to my pal I'm having a boat and my mortgage paid off by the time I'm 40. Boat obtained in 1981, age 29.

Spent a great weekend on my boats sealine 195, in 1992.

absolutley loved it !!

bought a boat. and moored in cobbs quay Poole for 5 years.

Poole harbour was fantastic.

boating was and still is my and my wifes love

spent 15 years on the south coast

now living on board, great life, great people

when i finaly go, it be a vikings funeral for me

col

Inherited, genetic, whatever in my case

I was born in 1966, but before this event, my father had grown up at Whins Cottage in Wheelton, where his family lived from 1938 to 1950 (I think).If you head towards Blackburn from Johnson's Hill Locks the first bridge is Whin's Bridge, look up the hill that is where my dad lived from the age of 5 to 17, and he could see the canal. Indeed, he once told me he had to explain to his mum how he had got soaking wet and yet had complied with her instruction not to go near the canal (he'd fallen off an unattended boat, so the second part of his testimony was problematic to say the least). Even before 1938, dad was taken every sunday lunchtime for a lemonade in the top lock pub by his granddad.

meanwhile a few miles away a girl came into the world at Appley Bridge, in a mill cottage in a terrace leading up from the canal in Appley Lane North, that girl was my mum, and my Mum's sister still lives in that house. They would play by the canal, and cadge rides on the boats to Appley and Dean locks,

and as if that wasn't enough, my mum had an aunt and uncle who lived at Malkin's Bank on the T&M, as a five year old mum was sufficiently aware of things that she thought the narrow locks "looked like coffins" compared with the L&L wide locks

Mum and Dad had a date walking up Wigan Locks, mum explained the history of the T junction at the top lock to dad (she was at technical college by then, and was part way through a thesis on the industrial history of Wigan) and, given that as a date, the inevitable marriage and children followed. They went on their first canal holiday in 1959, and took their Ford Pop all over the place looking at canals.

My first trip on a boat was as a babe in arms on the Lancaster Canal, in a L&L shortboat, my first boat holiday was aged one (just, my birthday is July) from Tingay at Atherstone in August 1967. In 1966 mum and dad went on the Brecon and Abergavenny at Easter, because I was due in July and mum didn't fancy a boat holiday with a month old baby.

I could add loads, but at the age of 8 I was left alone at the tiller of "Wirral Mist" on the Aire and Calder, at the age of ten I could start our recoil start 2hp outboard on our cartop dinghy, as soon as I could drive dad let me have the keys to the car with the boat on the roofrack

But in retrospect I never stood a chance did I, I mean, indoctrination or what ;):help:

Thanks mum and dad :wub:

Edited by magpie patrick

Rowing up Wick river when I was a lad.

From there I went dinghy sailing then the natural progression to sailing on the Broads, then searching for something more adventerous, offshore sailing.

When I married, my first late misses didn't like water despite coming from Plymouth!

I did however manage to get her on a narrowboat holiday in 1992 and she loved it.

The current Mrs T tried offshore sailing, wasn't too keen but took to narrowboating after a baptism of fire for her first trip, The Rochdale Canal.

As they say the rest is history

Broads holidays when I was about 10.

Hooked ever since...

Same with me. Family holidays on the Broads in the 60's when sea toilets were the norm and elsans in riverside bungalows with the "Chocolate" boat from Potter Heigham coming round once (or twice?) a week.

Broads holidays when I was about 10.

Hooked ever since...

Same with me. Family holidays on the Broads in the 60's when sea toilets were the norm and elsans in riverside bungalows with the "Chocolate" boat from Potter Heigham coming round once (or twice?) a week.

Rowing up Wick river when I was a lad.

From there I went dinghy sailing then the natural progression to sailing on the Broads, then searching for something more adventerous, offshore sailing.

When I married, my first late misses didn't like water despite coming from Plymouth!

I did however manage to get her on a narrowboat holiday in 1992 and she loved it.

The current Mrs T tried offshore sailing, wasn't too keen but took to narrowboating after a baptism of fire for her first trip, The Rochdale Canal.

As they say the rest is history

the Rochdale - ughh through Manchester -wild locks them

Woodwork club at school started it for me when I built a canvas covered 11 foot canoe. Progressed to a 2 seater, won the school's travel scholarship and spent one summer holiday canoeing round Holland with a friend and living on Heineken! Next I built a wooden hard-chine fishing dinghy then bought an Island Plastics GRP hull and fitted that out. Kept that one for quite a time. Next came a sailing dinghy which I owned with two friends. Put a cabin on it and fitted a cooker on gimbals! Sailed it out of Saltlfeet Haven in the summer and in the winter trailed it, without mast, up to Cleethorpes where we beach launched and motored out into the mighty Humber to fish for cod. We had a small Seagull outboard and a lot of confidence!!

Our work eventually split our group up and the boat was sold. By this time I had learned to fly and my world was revolving around an airscrew, so I didn't miss it too much, but a house move took up back within spitting distance of Saltfleet Haven again, so I bought an Orkney to go fishing from. Kept this for some years then, the wife I had acquired along the way having a preference for seeing both banks at once, I bought "Tinally", which we've now had for nine years, and retired to the inland waterways, initially in Boston Marina. The only downside is that the boat is now an hour's drive away, so it's not easy "popping down to the boat for an hour dear!" as it's at least half a day out now. This did prompt me to buy another boat to use at Saltfleet when I was short of time, and a couple of years ago I found a nice little Sea Nymph. Sadly, despite having another boat, I found I didn't have the time to use her ( aren't tides inconvenient things? ) so let her go. I suspect that if I do sell "Tinally" before the Grim Reaper comes knocking, it will be to fund another flying machine. Those of you who fly will know that it's a worse addiction than boating!!

Rather a snap decision for me. I am taking early retirement in March and was thinking of buying a motorhome and touring the UK until I realized the cost in fuel, site fees and depreciation would be prohibitive. My brother got me thinking about narrow boats and I decided to have a look. Viewed a dozen boats over a weekend in Oct 11, went back to revisit a couple and bought Mr Bunbury in Nov 11.

My previous boating experience is limited to canoeing, rowing and the odd hired day boat. I was more than a little nervous as I handed over a frightening amount of money, took the keys and realized my first trip would be to single handedly move the 55ft boat the length of the marina to reach the fuel pump. In the past 3 months I have clocked up 100 hours including a 10 day 79 lock return trip to Oxford over Christmas and absolutely love it. :boat:

Am already considering living aboard and renting the house. My brother is co-owner and will use it for family holidays which works out ideal for him too.

Looking forward to taking to the water in Apr and heading to Bristol via London. If you spot Mr Bunbury passing or moored give me a shout, I'm always happy to put the kettle on or pop a cork.

:cheers:

Edited by Meggers

Woodwork club at school started it for me when I built a canvas covered 11 foot canoe. Progressed to a 2 seater, won the school's travel scholarship and spent one summer holiday canoeing round Holland with a friend and living on Heineken! Next I built a wooden hard-chine fishing dinghy then bought an Island Plastics GRP hull and fitted that out. Kept that one for quite a time. Next came a sailing dinghy which I owned with two friends. Put a cabin on it and fitted a cooker on gimbals! Sailed it out of Saltlfeet Haven in the summer and in the winter trailed it, without mast, up to Cleethorpes where we beach launched and motored out into the mighty Humber to fish for cod. We had a small Seagull outboard and a lot of confidence!!

Our work eventually split our group up and the boat was sold. By this time I had learned to fly and my world was revolving around an airscrew, so I didn't miss it too much, but a house move took up back within spitting distance of Saltfleet Haven again, so I bought an Orkney to go fishing from. Kept this for some years then, the wife I had acquired along the way having a preference for seeing both banks at once, I bought "Tinally", which we've now had for nine years, and retired to the inland waterways, initially in Boston Marina. The only downside is that the boat is now an hour's drive away, so it's not easy "popping down to the boat for an hour dear!" as it's at least half a day out now. This did prompt me to buy another boat to use at Saltfleet when I was short of time, and a couple of years ago I found a nice little Sea Nymph. Sadly, despite having another boat, I found I didn't have the time to use her ( aren't tides inconvenient things? ) so let her go. I suspect that if I do sell "Tinally" before the Grim Reaper comes knocking, it will be to fund another flying machine. Those of you who fly will know that it's a worse addiction than boating!!

Yes, it sucks up money faster than a boat.

When I lost my job in paper, could not afford real flying anymore. So I get a little of the fun with flight simulator.

My father had always been vaguegly interested in canals, having seen narrowboats working through Leicester in his boyhood in the 30s and 40s. He had also got roped into one of Hutch's working parties on the Southern Stratford as a result of walking along the towpath, and found himself working alongisde prisoners.

In 1964 on a family walk alongside the now open South Stratford my parents got talking to a couple on a hire boat. They had hired from Blue Line Cruisers at Braunston, and so it transpired that Whitsun week the following year we hired Blue Peter, a 24 ft (IIRC) centre cockpit plywood cruiser. In a week we travelled from Braunston to just south of Banbury and back.

The next year we hired the Duchess of Atholl from Wyvern Shipping at Leighton Buzzard, and travelled to the top of Foxton. And the year after we hired from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough, getting as far as Cossington Lock. On the way back we arrived at Foxton with half a day to spare, so as the previous year we had reached the top of the locks we decided to go up, turn round and straight back down again. I don't think we would get way with that in the height of the season these days!

After that we bought a 20ft fibreglass cruiser, Lotus, which we kept at Solihull for a few years, hiring it out a few times, including one occcasion when the hirers abandoned it at Somerton, and we spent a few cold autumn weekends bringing it back home.

A few years later, after Lotus had been sold, we were again walking the towpath of the Southern Stratford when we came across a sunken 17 ft plywood day boat - basically an open boat with a cabin just big enough for two bunks. A few enquiries revealed the owner and so at age 14 I became the proud owner of my first boat for the princely sum of £5. Dad and I refloated her, patched up the holes in the hull and bought an outboard for twice the price of the boat.

And 40 years later I am still boating.

David

Towards the end of 1973 I moved from a bedsit off Penny Lane into a shared house in Wavertree with a Bob Keaveney, and the owner ?? Boyce. Both of them were canal fanatics, being led by their parents (One was Mr Keaveney of the PFCS). They got me to come along to various WRG work parties and helping move the Boyce's plastic cruiser from somewhere on the L & L near Liverpool, to Wigan and then down towards the T & M. I then had a weekend with the Keaveney's on their narrow boat on the Maccesfield (I think). That's when it really got into the blood.

After we got married I introduced my wife to the canals with a 2 week hire doing the Cheshire Ring with her brother and his girlfriend in 1978, then hired a couple of times with friends until we had kids.

Kept the interest going by visiting canals, and when I worked in Birmingham often having lunch at various canalside car parks. I was selling then I managed to get quite a few canal businesses as customers, which once gave us a free weekend on a Black Prince boat that had been stopped at Evesham by floods, and which John wanted back towards Stoke Prior before Sunday night. We managed it!

We then bought a timeshare with a small company, but finally gave that up 2 years ago as it was starting to get expensive and didn't fit into the annual leave criteria that is impossed on me.

Hoping next year to hire on the Brecon & Monmouth as it is one canal I know but never been on.

Going to David Bakers coal yard on the Bentley canal (now filled in)in Willenhall with my dad, we were fetching sacks of coal in a wheelbarrow. Mr Baker showed me what I now know was a Joey boat cabin and the smell intrigued me. From then on I used to draw canal boats in my schoolbooks. Although know filled over the boats are still in the basin and when I visited in 2002 a t-stud was sticking out of the ground.

I've only had an interest in canals for the last few years. It was my partner that had to talk me round. Although we live close to the Erewash canal, I didn't give much thought when we first moved up here. Once we had done some research hired out of season as a trial I was hooked. It was more a trial to see if the dogs could cope more than us.

Although we are not looking to move full time onto a boat and it's still a few years away yet, I will certainly be on more than off the water. Hiring and the WRG keeps my hand in and my appetite whetted.