SATELLITE TV

ex-member200218

Featured Posts

How are people running their wIring for sat installations?

We have a run of standard satellite co-ax with an f-connector on the end which connects to the LNB on the dish.

It then is run down and clipped to the outside of the wooden door frame and connects (again using an f-connector) to one of these at the base of the front cabin wall close to where our TV resides in the front corner of the lounge.

mx_b2008_lge.jpg

Note - it has two connectors one connector is for the satellite F connector and the other takes the lead from an aerial, meaning we can use either option. This then has two runs of co-ax from the respective connectors running to the inside of the boat. The sat one obviously runs to the connector on the back of our Freesat receiver and the other to the back of the Freeview DVD/TV.

HTH.

The same as Martin except all external wiring is not fixed, as we are ccers with a big dish, it is always stowed when on the move.

Out of interest Keith do you use the TV/aerial side of things? - last time I was out we had problems getting a TV signal and when I put my meter on the plug that would go into the TV I had no signal, when I connected the aerial direct to the meter rather than through the connection box I had one 'bar' on my meter but this was enough to pull in a picture if plugged into the TV directly.

I suspect I am losing some signal strength with the box/connections. :unsure:

Hi Martin

Yes I do use that side but for my radio aerial.

When we watch TV we always use the dish.

Sometimes have a problem with radio but cleaning the socket and plug helps, I think the co-ax socket is more prone to corrosion.

Hi Martin

Yes I do use that side but for my radio aerial.

When we watch TV we always use the dish.

Sometimes have a problem with radio but cleaning the socket and plug helps, I think the co-ax socket is more prone to corrosion.

Thanks for confirming Keith - seems my suspicions are correct - a little job for the next time we are at the boat.

Success!

The F connector to TV converter worked as well as I had hoped for. I have plugged one at either end of the standard coax where they terminate in the sockets and fitted the dish at one end and the receiver at the other and the set up works perfectly. The only issue maybe if the boat next to me gets interference as I read somewhere that if standard TV coax is installed and not screened coax behind the paneling in the boat the signal could bleed out.

Edited by Escape

I bought one of these off eBay for £60

Maplins link

Have not used it a lot yet, but Set it up a couple of times now both at home and on the boat, very simple, just listen to the frequency of the beep as it gets higher the signal is stronger.

Maplins seem to have run out. The easy find is a great system (no more trying to see the TV through the window). There is a LED that changes from red to amber to green when it finds the satellite, on the thing that points at the dish. Suggest trying Easy find

• 6 months later...

Does anyone who is residential moring have normal sky tv, not freesat? If so how do you get around having it on the boat as sky will only let you have it in a house? Thanks

We have sky + on our boat. I took the box out of my bedroom at the house. Sky don't know it's on a boat. They get the tenner a month. Works fine.

Steve P

Does anyone who is residential moring have normal sky tv, not freesat? If so how do you get around having it on the boat as sky will only let you have it in a house? Thanks

We have Sky HD+ they even came to the boat to fit it. If its going to be a new instalation you will require a phone line for 12 months if your taking up free HD box offers and such like. If you pay the full price for the equipment you dont need a phone line.

Likewise, if your moving your current Sky equipment from your home to your boat you dont need a phone line providing your over your 12 months initial contract.

If a new instalation and you apply on line just tick the box marked mobile home/static caravan...cant remember now which one it shows and they are more than happy. I predrilled the hole I wished the cables to run through just incase the engineer didnt have any steel drill bits with him. I also fitted a pole for the sat dish, again just in case he didnt have the means.

I have the equipment as it is fitted to and in the house. Would I just take it all to the boat and tell them where I resided?

Edit: just had a chat with an online adviser and he said that you just tell them where the boat is and have it installed by an independent, I think I can run some wires from the dish to the box, and that's it.

Edited by Mooresey

We have Sky HD+ they even came to the boat to fit it. If its going to be a new instalation you will require a phone line for 12 months if your taking up free HD box offers and such like. If you pay the full price for the equipment you dont need a phone line.

Likewise, if your moving your current Sky equipment from your home to your boat you dont need a phone line providing your over your 12 months initial contract.

If a new instalation and you apply on line just tick the box marked mobile home/static caravan...cant remember now which one it shows and they are more than happy. I predrilled the hole I wished the cables to run through just incase the engineer didnt have any steel drill bits with him. I also fitted a pole for the sat dish, again just in case he didnt have the means.

Hmm interesting everytime i've tried speaking to them they say no we don't install on boats. When we sold the house last year the woman said if we want it back in the future we have smaller dishes designed for boats etc.

Wish I could speak to her again. Mrs C misses her tennis would be nice to get it back if the deal was right.

Hmm interesting everytime i've tried speaking to them they say no we don't install on boats. When we sold the house last year the woman said if we want it back in the future we have smaller dishes designed for boats etc.

Wish I could speak to her again. Mrs C misses her tennis would be nice to get it back if the deal was right.

You could always try an independent installer - AFAIK you don't have to go direct to Sky, even if taking advantage of their "discounted" deals.

I won't mention FreeSat as you mention "sports" which I implies Sky sports which is a subscription channel.

Just re-apply on line and click on the box showing Static Caravan, or phone them up and tell them its a static.

When the engineer arrives he wont give a monkeys that its a boat, but as i say, if its a new instalation using Sky offers then you will need a Phone line.

• 5 months later...

Easiest way of aligning a dish is to use an app on your phone, there are lots of them. The app will show you where to piont the dish. Incidently there are satellites every few degrees over the equator. Sky (astra2)is at 28 east. Others are at 19,16,13,10,9,7,etc or further east at 30,31,33,36 etc. That is not an angle of 28 degrees. As the equator is around the earth it is a full circle of 360 degrees. North is 0 degrees so astra2 for sky is at 332 degrees or 28 east of due north. All the satellites are the same height above earth (22223 miles). As the earth is spinning the satellite must go with the earth or they would not work. They travel at about 7000 mph.

Edited by bigste

We have a small sat dish made by Ross this dish was perfectly ok when we were subscribed to sky. You don't need installattion justt attach to roof and connect cables to sky box.

We decided not to continue with sky so our channels come direct from the satallite which is basically freesat.

Easiest way of aligning a dish is to use an app on your phone, there are lots of them. The app will show you where to piont the dish. Incidently there are satellites every few degrees over the equator. Sky (astra2)is at 28 east. Others are at 19,16,13,10,9,7,etc or further east at 30,31,33,36 etc. That is not an angle of 28 degrees. As the equator is around the earth it is a full circle of 360 degrees. North is 0 degrees so astra2 for sky is at 332 degrees or 28 east of due north. All the satellites are the same height above earth (22223 miles). As the earth is spinning the satellite must go with the earth or they would not work. They travel at about 7000 mph.

Isn't that 28 degrees east of South? That's where I point my dish anyway. Don't need an app - just check in Nicholsons which way to point the dish and rotate slowly at 21 degrees elevation. When satfinder pings furiousy just rotate slightly to the right and up a bit and there should be another strong sat. This confirms the first one was right.

On my Ross dish, the elevation relates the the dish pointing down slightly. Usually takes me barely a minute once the cables are connected.

Edited by dor

Hello Dor. The 28 deg is 28 east of zero. Zero is a point on the equator which runs up and down to the north and south poles. I messed up in my explanation so yes is is south for us. The 28 is not an angle from zero. The nearer you are to the equator the greater the true angle. i.e If you were in Gibraltar you would need to point the dish much further east to find the satellite so 28 degrees has nothing to do with angles.

Edited by bigste