SATELLITE TV

ex-member200218

Featured Posts

Hello lovely people! I hope to be living (semi permanently of course) on board in the next 3-4 weeks. Woop! Desiring all the usual comforts of home, I've been chasing my own tail with the questions and answers of how to get satellite TV.:banghead: Does anybody have any really good, once and for all, set in stone answers to this question? Pleeeeeease! Thank you in anticipation :)

Hello lovely people! I hope to be living (semi permanently of course) on board in the next 3-4 weeks. Woop! Desiring all the usual comforts of home, I've been chasing my own tail with the questions and answers of how to get satellite TV.:banghead: Does anybody have any really good, once and for all, set in stone answers to this question? Pleeeeeease! Thank you in anticipation :)

There is only one real definitive answer so not sure why you have been chasing your tale.

You need a dish and LNB, some co-ax and a satellite receiver plus a sat finder to align your dish.

We got a dish and LNB off ebay for around £20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Satellite-Mini-Dish-Quad-LNB-SKY-FREESAT-Zone-1-/360376685063?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item53e81fd207#ht_3214wt_1396

a sat finder of eBay which I won't link to as ours has just gone belly up... :rolleyes:

and a free sat box from Argos -

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321557/Trail/searchtext%3EBUSH+FREESAT.htm

The co-ax cable was already fitted so we utilised that.

Hardest job is aligning the dish when there are no other dishes to get some orientation from but apart from that it's a doddle.

Or if you don't mind paying a premium for someone else to come and do it all for you This guy will sell and fit you a complete package.

Don't forget you will still need a clear line of site to Astra which can be an issue on river/canals often lined by high trees and buildings. Accordingly we use a freeview TV with aerial too to have the choice.

Hardest job is aligning the dish when there are no other dishes to get some orientation from but apart from that it's a doddle.

Don't forget you will still need a clear line of site to Astra which can be an issue on river/canals often lined by high trees and buildings. Accordingly we use a freeview TV with aerial too to have the choice.

There are two Astra's. As you swing the dish from the east to the South, the first signal you get on a sat finder is the Sky source.

Very close to it ,a bit further to the South,is another source, slightly stronger.

Is this the one that the freesats pick up??

We don't have a sat finder - him outdoors just uses Nicholsons and his compass when we're out and there aren't any other dishes around ... I did give him a sat finder but after trying it once, he said 'Pah!' and it's sat in the cupboard ever since! He prefers the human version for fine tuning - me sitting watching the signal strength/quality monitors and yelling out the %s !!!

There are two Astra's. As you swing the dish from the east to the South, the first signal you get on a sat finder is the Sky source.

Very close to it ,a bit further to the South,is another source, slightly stronger.

There are more than 2 aren't there - open to correction but I understand there are 4 at 28E with Eutelsat at 28.5.

I generally just aim the dish roughly 28E and then use the finder to fine tune. Not sure what broadcasts on what TBH just where to point the dish. I always seem to hit the right spot pretty quickly, or rather I did prior to my sat finder breaking...

We don't have a sat finder - him outdoors just uses Nicholsons and his compass when we're out and there aren't any other dishes around ... I did give him a sat finder but after trying it once, he said 'Pah!' and it's sat in the cupboard ever since! He prefers the human version for fine tuning - me sitting watching the signal strength/quality monitors and yelling out the %s !!!

This has become our method since ours jiggered up except we operate a more 'refined' version and turn the TV towards the window so I can see what's happening while I'm 'twiddling'...

Brilliant! Yes I can see myself doing that!! :rolleyes:

There is only one real definitive answer so not sure why you have been chasing your tale.

You need a dish and LNB, some co-ax and a satellite receiver plus a sat finder to align your dish.

We got a dish and LNB off ebay for around £20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Satellite-Mini-Dish-Quad-LNB-SKY-FREESAT-Zone-1-/360376685063?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item53e81fd207#ht_3214wt_1396

a sat finder of eBay which I won't link to as ours has just gone belly up... :rolleyes:

and a free sat box from Argos -

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321557/Trail/searchtext%3EBUSH+FREESAT.htm

The co-ax cable was already fitted so we utilised that.

Or if you don't mind paying a premium for someone else to come and do it all for you This guy will sell and fit you a complete package.

Thank you MJB; lots to go on there! Astra? LNB? Chasing my tail; I'm just on the wrong side of the age group for understanding this type of technology; (socket in the wall and co-ax cable is about my limit) and the sheer vastness and choice of equipment Ive found available has totally thrown me!

I do not seem to have that problem maybe because my dish is in a box nextt to the box with my digital aerial!!!!!

Thank you MJB; lots to go on there! Astra? LNB? Chasing my tail; I'm just on the wrong side of the age group for understanding this type of technology; (socket in the wall and co-ax cable is about my limit) and the sheer vastness and choice of equipment Ive found available has totally thrown me!

Astra is the satellite you get your signal from. There is more than one but effectivley they are all in the same position in the sky so just think of them as one.

The LNB (Low noise block) is the little electronic 'box' on the end of the arm on the front of the dish. Keeping it simple - it collects the satellite signal from the dish and sends it down the lead to your satellite receiver inside the boat.

Neat_dish_install.jpg

This one has four wires on it - you only need one to do basic watching of satellite TV and don't need or want to record stuff or run another satellite receiver.

The Maplins 'suitcase' kits , also sold at times in Aldi/Lidl etc, have a receiver in them that is totally open (Freesat, as they are provided by BBC/ITV, restrict some of the channels) and, more importantly, have a built in signal strength meter.

Maplins link

Make sure you fix the dish solidly to the boat.

The Maplins 'suitcase' kits , also sold at times in Aldi/Lidl etc, have a receiver in them that is totally open (Freesat, as they are provided by BBC/ITV, restrict some of the channels) and, more importantly, have a built in signal strength meter.

Maplins link

Make sure you fix the dish solidly to the boat.

We have a 30cm Kerstani dish which is mounted on a sucker pad thingy. Then we bought a flexible magnetic 'plate'. The dish mount was suckered and superglued to the magnetic plate and the plate goes on the roof. Holds in place brilliantly even in major winds and, when needed, a matter of moments to lift the magnetic plate and bring the whole thing into the cratch.

I use a Crystop self seek, moor up, push a button and watch TV, brilliant. Pricey at £1400, but glad i purchased it

I use a Crystop self seek, moor up, push a button and watch TV, brilliant. Pricey at £1400, but glad i purchased it

What does it do if there is no direct line of sight to Astra...

Bloke moored behind us outside the Blue Lias with one of them, It was still oscillating when we got back from walking the dog, he was moored right alongside a big willow in full leaf.

Question -

What does it do if there is no direct line of sight to Astra...

Answer -

Bloke moored behind us outside the Blue Lias with one of them, It was still oscillating when we got back from walking the dog, he was moored right alongside a big willow in full leaf.

;)

hahahaha, they have mirrors, so can deflect a little, but not through a tree lol

Alignment needs a bit of practice. Now I can get the sat working quicker than normal aerial. Use a sat finder, but make sure it's one with an analogue meter not just a few LEDs. Depending on how your dish is mounted, you may need to alter the vertical alignment sometimes as well as horizontal. Saves all the peering through windows at the TV etc.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...