Want to visit Cambridge? It will cost you extra in future.

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

Where is the boundary - ie at what point does the control change from EA to Cam? I assume the "Five Miles from Anywhere" is within the area of EA jurisdiction? I will again merely turn around at that point, after a few beers of course.

Not before visiting Wicken Fen and the Lodes, I hope?

I assume that the Cam Conservators are in the financial shit just like BW so how are they supposed to raise more money? Having said that, from the year I spent on the Great Ouse 3 years ago, the amount of visitors to the city over the summer period looks about 2 or 3 boats a day. On the bright side, if the charge puts visitors off there will be more space to moor unless they revert to the scheme of 5 or 6 years ago where they were going to remove the vistor moorings and let them out to permanent moorers. I guess the worst off will be Bridge Boats from Ely, or his hirers, unless he comes to a special arrangement, his boats being a good 50% of the visitors.

I thought Cambridge a great city but I don't know if I want to spend £100 to get there., Probably get the bus from Ely or the new and hideously expensive to build, guided bus from St Ives.

Where is the boundary - ie at what point does the control change from EA to Cam? I assume the "Five Miles from Anywhere" is within the area of EA jurisdiction? I will again merely turn around at that point, after a few beers of course.

The Five Miles is indeed EA. The boundary is Bottisham lock. Actually Bottisham Lock is EA, so strictly it's above Bottisham lock.

MP.

Why don't they dissolve the Cam Conservators and incorporate them in to the EA?

They did it with the Thames Conservancy and all of the other river authorities.

Dunno, but it's probably the same reason they didn't merge the Middle Level into the EA. We're funny 'round 'ere.

MP.

• Greenie 1

Not before visiting Wicken Fen and the Lodes, I hope?

I'd like to but we can't get through Reach Lode Sluice. The EA told us we could so we tried, but it was too short; we'd been messing around in the lock for 10 minutes to try and fit when I spotted the sign that said the guillotine would descend automatically after 15 minutes. I've never reversed out of a lock so fast in my life!

The Five Miles is indeed EA. The boundary is Bottisham lock. Actually Bottisham Lock is EA, so strictly it's above Bottisham lock.

MP.

Ah, thank you. I will definitely go to the Five Miles again then.

I wonder if its name has got any shorter, I believe it was originally called "It's Five Miles from Anywhere, why Hurry" then it was shortened to "Five Miles from Anywhere" and now just "Five Miles".

Edited by Keeping Up

A visiting 60' NB on a an EA license will have to pay about £15 per mile of the Cam Con waters.

Must be the most expensive navigation in the country?

yes. it is. we checked: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41285&st=0&p=750061&hl=+most%20+expensive%20+waterway&fromsearch=1entry750061

I assume that the Cam Conservators are in the financial shit just like BW so how are they supposed to raise more money? Having said that, from the year I spent on the Great Ouse 3 years ago, the amount of visitors to the city over the summer period looks about 2 or 3 boats a day. On the bright side, if the charge puts visitors off there will be more space to moor unless they revert to the scheme of 5 or 6 years ago where they were going to remove the vistor moorings and let them out to permanent moorers. I guess the worst off will be Bridge Boats from Ely, or his hirers, unless he comes to a special arrangement, his boats being a good 50% of the visitors.

I thought Cambridge a great city but I don't know if I want to spend £100 to get there., Probably get the bus from Ely or the new and hideously expensive to build, guided bus from St Ives.

Well we will try and get there before April and make that the last visit.

how long till the middle level commision decied to start charging a fee to navigate?

it would be easily enforced at stanground and salters lode.

add that to the new fees to use the cam and it will make the journey from the canal system to cambridge a costly job indeed.

how long till the middle level commision decied to start charging a fee to navigate?

add that to the new fees to use the cam and it will make the journey from the canal system to cambridge a costly job indeed.

I doubt they will until they install some boating infrastructure. So far I think only one mooring has been put in in the last 5 years by the MLC. Moomin Papa will be able to enlighten more when he comes along.

Edited by Biggles

MLC has tried twice to push a bill to be given powers to collect fees. Both throw out in the house. Seems to do with

a clause in the 16th Century Acts which prevents this change.

Firesprite

In the office

I doubt they will until they install some boating infrastructure. So far I think only one mooring has been put in in the last 5 years by the MLC. Moomin Papa will be able to enlighten more when he comes along.

The only mooring installed in the last five years has been their own.

MLC has tried twice to push a bill to be given powers to collect fees. Both throw out in the house. Seems to do with

Firesprite

In the office

i see, often wondered why it hadnt happend!

while on the subject of the middle levels, any news on the fate of the sanitation station at march?

Firesprite

In the office

What was Benwick then?

Firesprite

In the office

What was Benwick then?

Just sent a letter to the Cambridge news, saying why I wont be going there. letters@cambridge-news.co.uk

Thanks! Any chance you can send a copy to me: nbluckyduck{at}yahoo.co.uk ?

That way we can make sure the Cam Con see it even if it's not published in the news.

And then they forgot the rings in

i see, often wondered why it hadnt happend!

while on the subject of the middle levels, any news on the fate of the sanitation station at march?

Someone was using it last time we were there, but didn't see how successfull they where.

Visitors are welcome it's Boater's (so called) with there boats that never move and are in a terrible condition that it makes you ashamed to say you have a narrow boat as people think that you're one of those on the cam at the moment, i say charge them £40.00 per day to stay in the area after the first 48 hours then we would see who does like the life on the river or are just using it as a cheap way to live and bringing down the real people who do live on narrow boats because they like the life style.

Have just been told, by the Cambridge news, that they are going to publish my letter.

Thanks to the price increase for boaters to visit Cambridge by the 'conservators of the Cam', I will not be going to your town, and will take my pound to somewhere that would like visiters.

Paid for by the Benwick Village council, Middle level Watermans Club and the local IWA. Not a penny from the MLC

Firesprite

In the Fens

Thanks for the info on that. So the only other one I can think of is the one in March by the playing field.

Have just been told, by the Cambridge news, that they are going to publish my letter.

Thanks to the price increase for boaters to visit Cambridge by the 'conservators of the Cam', I will not be going to your town, and will take my pound to somewhere that would like visiters.

Great, I shall look out for it!