What's in your First Aid Box

The Jolly Roger

Featured Posts

I move on to my first narrowboat in March and my wife and I have started our provisioning list.

One of the items on the list is a well-stocked first aid box and while I was in Boots this morning I bought the usual waterproof plasters, antiseptic creams etc.

Are there an unusual items you experienced boaters have found to be essential in a waterways first aid box that I may not have thought of.

Jolly Roger

Is this the point where I admit that we don't have a first aid box on our boat.....

(Martin & Jan) 2 nurses....

can defo recommend this though -

Multiple uses from minor burns through to rashes.

Sudocrem_Antiseptic_Healing_Cream_250g_tub.jpg

Edited by MJG

I move on to my first narrowboat in March and my wife and I have started our provisioning list.

One of the items on the list is a well-stocked first aid box and while I was in Boots this morning I bought the usual waterproof plasters, antiseptic creams etc.

Are there an unusual items you experienced boaters have found to be essential in a waterways first aid box that I may not have thought of.

Jolly Roger

Go with MJGs sudocream. Acts as sunburn healer. Barrier cream. just keep listing uses. Lavender essential oil beside stove/cooker for burns. Epi-pen if like me you are anaphylactic [relax it's to bee-stings!]. Anti-histamines in case of any allergic reaction.

Is this the point where I admit that we don't have a first aid box on our boat.....

(Martin & Jan) 2 nurses....

can defo recommend this though -

Multiple uses from minor burns through to rashes.

Sudocrem_Antiseptic_Healing_Cream_250g_tub.jpg

Agree. Works wonders on sore botties.

A can of Coke.

Sounds silly, but bear with me:

If you fall in the water and get a mouthful, one of the easiest ways to reduce the risk of catching something nasty is to *quickly* drink something acidic, but not dangerous. The phosphoric acid in Coke is just about right for maiming or killing water-living bugs.

This was first taught to me when canoeing as a kid (i.e. a can in the instructor's drybag), and has been seen on yachts and narrowboats ever since...

A) bottle of whiskey

B) TCP

c) hand sanitizer/ alcohol gel stuff. To be used after working locks, touching wet ropes and other items contaminated with canal water,use before eating your biscuits and drinking your tea after mooring up for the day.

A can of Coke.

Sounds silly, but bear with me:

If you fall in the water and get a mouthful, one of the easiest ways to reduce the risk of catching something nasty is to *quickly* drink something acidic, but not dangerous. The phosphoric acid in Coke is just about right for maiming or killing water-living bugs.

This was first taught to me when canoeing as a kid (i.e. a can in the instructor's drybag), and has been seen on yachts and narrowboats ever since...

How about poisoning the bugs with alcohol? That is where my whiskey comes in. Tastier than coke

Jolly Roger

This would be a good starting point

a leaflet giving general guidance on first aid,

20 individually wrapped sterile plasters (assorted sizes), appropriate to the type of work

two sterile eye pads;

four individually wrapped triangular bandages, preferably sterile;

six safety pins;

two large, individually wrapped, sterile, unmedicated wound dressings;

six medium-sized, individually wrapped, sterile, unmedicated wound dressings;

a pair of disposable gloves, see HSE's free leaflet:

I second the vote for the hand sterilising gel - big bottles in the kitchen, small bottles to take up to the back of the boat with the sandwiches, bikkies, etc.

I also carry a couple of those chemical 'ice packs' where you break an inner container and it turns the pack cold, for sprained ankles, major bruises, etc. Obviously if you have a large fridge filled with ice cubes then you don't need them - but Chalice has a titchy fridge, and Sickle is fridge-free.

Cheers

Cath

A) bottle of whiskey

B) TCP

c) hand sanitizer/ alcohol gel stuff. To be used after working locks, touching wet ropes and other items contaminated with canal water,use before eating your biscuits and drinking your tea after mooring up for the day.

How about poisoning the bugs with alcohol? That is where my whiskey comes in. Tastier than coke

Even if the whiskey doesn't kill 'em, they'll be so pissed they'll forget to poison you!!

Brian

I rushed out to buy wound dressing stuff after helping a couple in dire straits. (And found it really hard to find anything particularly large so I hope any open gaping wounds I get are smallish.)

She had lost the end of her thumb in the rope whilst mooring up for a lock!

I realised my ancient bandages in my first aid box would not have been suitable for that sort of injury.

Luckily they did have something suitable. However what they didn't have was a small resealable bag for the end of the thumb and although he found it ok he then wrapped it in tissue or cotton wool so probably of no use at all for reattaching.

I looked after their dogs and boat while he went with her in the ambulance to hospital.

First Aid Book. Sailing Book Shop : First Aid

First Aid knowledge is a must for all sailors. .

Advanced First Aid Afloat

khb57.jpg

By P. Eastman

Written for the bluewater yachtsman who may be away from organised medical help for long periods. Covers a wide variety of problems from breakages, burns, infections, poisonous creatures. Pb 212p

£17.95 Quantity: Sailing Book Shop : First Aid

Aquatic Rescue and Safety

Sailing Book Shop : First Aid

Captain's QuickGuide to Emergency First Aid On Board

mh05072.jpg

by Richard Clinchy

Learn how to diagnose an injury or illness; know what to do and how to do it; dress wounds, burns, and other injuries; treat minor ailments and stabilize major ones. Hinged, laminated construction makes this guide durable and waterproof, and its small size makes it convenient when space is an issue.

£5.99

Edited by Ray T

would note the mainly helpfull sugestions - but would strongly reccomend some nasic kitchen items will help any injury such as a cut/graze larger than a finger sized elastoplast.

Kitchen roll great more surface leaks but the best thing is cling film

can be used to cover burns/scalds.. leaking skin and can the secure limbs to the body as in secure an arm in a sling held position all in one.... it also seals teh wound from further dirt. its transparent so you can see the condition.

likewise for legs can bind one to another to imobilise,,, if needed...

We used on our mountaineering for years, wasnt much it wouldnt do,,, and occasionally came out after much drink for "party" games,,,

Alcohol was best avoided until treatment was clarified,,,, then ale as required...

Triangular bandages are not included in most First Aid kits now as few people know how to use them properly.

Advice now is to put the arm in a comfortable position and pin the clothing from sleeve to body, or else support with a tea towel folded into a long strip and tied in a loop around arm and neck.

The First App fot the I-phone is excellent.

(Pedant warning; it is St John Ambulance, singular not plural!!!!!!)

Sudocrem is excellent but should not be used on a burn or scald that may need treatment. The best treatment for them is to be immersed in COLD water as soon as possible and until all the hotness has gone out of it, then wrapped in clingfilm before getting treatment. Cloth should NEVER be used. It leaves fibres that then have to be picked out!!

The one thing I hope everyone here learns is how to do CPR. It isn't difficult but it could be the biggest life saver you will ever have.

Sudocrem is excellent but should not be used on a burn or scald that may need treatment. The best treatment for them is to be immersed in COLD water as soon as possible and until all the hotness has gone out of it, then wrapped in clingfilm before getting treatment. Cloth should NEVER be used. It leaves fibres that then have to be picked out!!

Indeed that is why it's labelled as for minor burns and scalds...

The one thing I hope everyone here learns is how to do CPR. It isn't difficult but it could be the biggest life saver you will ever have.

I'm concerned about the BHF's latest guidance, why bother circulate un-oxygenated blood....

Indeed that is why it's labelled as for minor burns and scalds...

I'm concerned about the BHF's latest guidance, why bother circulate un-oxygenated blood....

We were always told that the tune "Nellie the elephant" has the correct tempo for CPR with a breath at the end of the chorus.