GREEDY LANDLORD INCREASES RENT BY 45%

i love my narrowboat

Featured Posts

I do not want to comment on the rights and wrongs of Richard's tenancy problems but would like to say that I have had good service from him and his prices have been very competitive. Further, I would say he is a gentleman which seems to be increasingly rare in commerce these days.

So, as he is still trading I will visit him when I next have a need he could fulfill.

On the subject of Chandleries, I recently had to visit Midland Chandlers at Braunston, it has been some while since I last used them and was very disappointed. The store has been revamped which I have no problem with but the staff with the 'knowledge' have all gone! The present staff were nice enough but one of the plus points of MIdland Chandlers used to be that the folk serving knew the 'answer' or where to find it. Cannot say the same about the present crew. Shame but there you are.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

I do not want to comment on the rights and wrongs of Richard's tenancy problems but would like to say that I have had good service from him and his prices have been very competitive. Further, I would say he is a gentleman which seems to be increasingly rare in commerce these days.

So, as he is still trading I will visit him when I next have a need he could fulfill.

On the subject of Chandleries, I recently had to visit Midland Chandlers at Braunston, it has been some while since I last used them and was very disappointed. The store has been revamped which I have no problem with but the staff with the 'knowledge' have all gone! The present staff were nice enough but one of the plus points of MIdland Chandlers used to be that the folk serving knew the 'answer' or where to find it. Cannot say the same about the present crew. Shame but there you are.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

I have to agree with this comment about the 'staff'. We first visited Braunston Midland thingy in 2006, I think, and there one one chap who really helped me with the electrics on the boat. Actually sold me nothing, but fiddled about with connections and got me going. I offered a 'drink' but he said no.

Different now.

Martyn

Just been through this topic to ensure that it does not attract any legal stuff.

Sorry if it seems heavy handed.

Happy New Year

Nick

When was the last time you were there because the old team have pretty much all come back?

• Greenie 1

Just been through this topic to ensure that it does not attract any legal stuff.

Sorry if it seems heavy handed.

Happy New Year

Nick

I worried about that so definitely not heavy handed.

I worried about that so definitely not heavy handed.

It's as ever a mods call but I admit to being a tad surprised this thread hasn't been removed, but then again if it's factual it should remain, just as the Barby Moorings one has....

It's as ever a mods call but I admit to being a tad surprised this thread hasn't been removed, but then again if it's factual it should remain, just as the Barby Moorings one has....

Is true but Barby is a lot more cut and dried than this thread. Anyways if the mods are happy for it run then so am I.

No it isn't, or not unless they have relocated it (!)

Southern GU locks number Southwards from Braunston, so the bottom Whilton Lock, where the chandlery has been, and the marina entrance is just below number 13.

Since the bootom line here (as I read it) is to ensure that the goodwill of the late whilton marina chandlery travels with Richard and we appear to agree he is relocated to Lock12 let me give yiz the local geometry from a car drivers point of view. If you come off the A5 and go down under the railway bridge, turn LEFT into the 'garden centre' OPPOSITE the Marina entrance and park up. Saunter down towards the marina entrance and turn LEFT onto the road you just left. Walk on the left side of the road until you are above the canal. To the north, your left side with your back to the A5 and the railway, is Lock12. If you were to walk to t'other side of the bridge looking south, (A5 and railway at your right hand) you would find lock13.

Now you know how to find Lock12 by car and foot call by and give the man a bit of goodwill for 2012. We gotta keep local businesses alive and every little helps. So if you do find the place put it in your GPS so you can find by car or boat or bicycle and train sorry it does not stop there. Back on the A5 in your car and go north, that's away from the sun most of the time and within a mile you come to Norton Junction and the New Inn hostelry which does grand lunches and serve lovely beers. It's my local.

I hope Alan takes this in the spirit given but the entrance to Whilton marina is NOT below lock13 except to a canalboat driver. It is southeast of it. You see! A closet pedant [pentargon] has been outed. Hah!

:smiley_offtopic: Some other day I'll tell yiz how to read an analogue clock. (It's a bit harder) :captain:

Edited by Pentargon

I asked Richard what has happened and in short , he informed us that the owners had increased his lease by 45%, and after some negoitiating, DID NOT RENEW IT.

Richard has had to move lock stock and barrel to LOCK TWELVE , where he has a new unit, so I trust that all customers past and present will remain loyal to a SMALL INDEPENDANT GUY who has spent the last TEN YEARS building up his business only to have the rug pulled from under his feet by a GREEDY LANDLORD.

Frankly, I think your post is grossly unfair.

From what you say, he appears to have had a ten year lease with no rent rises. A 45% rise on renewal seems pretty reasonable to me. I doubt it even keeps up with inflation over that period.

Mike

• Greenie 2

From what you say, he appears to have had a ten year lease with no rent rises. A 45% rise on renewal seems pretty reasonable to me. I doubt it even keeps up with inflation over that period.

Mike

I'd agree with this. Also he may have found negotiating the current property worked out alot more expensive than taking on a new one. Some landlords are offering 6 months free or even more!

The fact that the marina chandlery has been snapped up already shows that the 45% increase (if that's what they have paid) is not over the top.

We spent a week at the marina when we bought our boat and needed to do a few jobs on it before taking her home. We used the chandlery, cafe and obviously the marina and found everyone to be plesant and helpful. Change is always going to offend or anoy some people but that's life.

Edited by Chickadee

Mike

I agree, it works out less than 4% increase from the starting rent. Very fair landlord, if it was a 10 year lease with no rent increase.

I think that the rest of the mods and Daniel would agree that we try hard to avoid removing threads. If we can stay on the right side of what is legal and decent we are happy. We can't, of course, vouch for the truth of posts :rolleyes:.

Nick

I think that the rest of the mods and Daniel would agree that we try hard to avoid removing threads. If we can stay on the right side of what is legal and decent we are happy. We can't, of course, vouch for the truth of posts :rolleyes:.

Nick

Of course - but my point is that if all this transpired to be untrue (and nothing so far suggests it is) then the Marina would have grounds to take legal action against Dan to have it removed as the site would be libelling them.

So while you may not be able to vouch for the truth and accuracy of all posts it is in all our interests for you as mods to take an interest in whether posts are or not and act accordingly.

Edited by MJG
To remove the name

I hope it all works out in the new premises, iit may prove to be a positive experience, after experiencing a couple of poor visits to whilton boat sales, i'd choose never to shop in the chandlery as i'd assume a connection to the sales dept.

Good luck

Paul

Of course - but my point is that if all this transpired to be untrue (and nothing so far suggests it is) then the Marina would have grounds to take legal action against Dan to have it removed as the site would be libelling them.

So while you may not be able to vouch for the truth and accuracy of all posts it is in all our interests for you as mods to take an interest in whether posts are or not and act accordingly.

And that is why I have removed the Name.

Nick

And that is why I have removed the Name.

Nick

err - what about the multiple references to the 'marina that shall not be named' in all the previous posts.....

Interesting.

I understand Whilton Marina have also bought Venetian Marina near Nantwich. They have assured the current tenants (RJ Marine & an 'antique' shop) that their tenancies are safe.

Edited for the totally inexcusable there/their error

But isn't the chandlery at Venetian run by Kings Lock at Middlewich?

I do sympathise with Richard, but a business has to charge what the market can stand. If they have another tenant going in it seems to me that the new rent offered was in keeping with what the market will stand.

This is difficult isn't it.

I have also had some excellent service from Richard, (..........although Richard, I thought you were almost rude to me when you suggested you couldn't imagine any sane boater conceivably having a need of a long shaft of more than 12 feet - which just happened to be the length of yours! :lol:).

But as has been said, it is not unusual for people to charge what the market will stand, so if another tenant walks straight in and pays the increased rent, perhaps it isn't that far off the mark after all ?

I'll probably get pilloried for saying this, but for a long while the diesel sold at that chandlery has been far more expensive than at just about any other outlet than on the Southern Grand Union. Isn't that also a case of someone charging "what the market will stand" ?