GREEDY LANDLORD INCREASES RENT BY 45%

i love my narrowboat

Featured Posts

I did once do a quote for security shutters on a brothel in a small Lancashire town though and was given the benefit of being led around the place by a scantilly clad young lady of the night in order to measure up for the job.

beaten by Athy, but my immediate image of being measured up for the job by a prostitute is, well, nothin g to do with security shutters.

Did you measure up then Mike?

Edited by dor

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else been into the new Whilton Marina Chandlery? I went looking for the canal shop which I had been recommended to and was told the Canal Shop people had left and they had no idea where they had gone. It even wrongly says on their website that Whilton Chandlery is under new management... which it isn't, the Canal Shop as Whilton Chandlery is fully functional and within spitting distance of the Marina. The staff at the new Marina chandlery were most miserable and appeared to be there on sufference. Allegedly this is the landlord that put the rent up and wouldn't renew the lease, maybe he has done it to the new tenants already and this is why they have no stock..... Anyway if you need a well stocked and helpful chandlery go to the Canal Shop, it is the other side of the carpet shop through the gates by Saxon Lifts.

• Greenie 1

The antiques shop that was at Venetian Marina (taken over recently by Whilton Marina) is moving to Nantwich Canal Centre. They've not been there long. Don't know the reason but they were probably asked to leave.

Has anyone else been into the new Whilton Marina Chandlery? I went looking for the canal shop which I had been recommended to and was told the Canal Shop people had left and they had no idea where they had gone. It even wrongly says on their website that Whilton Chandlery is under new management... which it isn't, the Canal Shop as Whilton Chandlery is fully functional and within spitting distance of the Marina. The staff at the new Marina chandlery were most miserable and appeared to be there on sufference. Allegedly this is the landlord that put the rent up and wouldn't renew the lease, maybe he has done it to the new tenants already and this is why they have no stock..... Anyway if you need a well stocked and helpful chandlery go to the Canal Shop, it is the other side of the carpet shop through the gates by Saxon Lifts.

What a useful plug from a brand new member

beaten by Athy, but my immediate image of being measured up for the job by a prostitute is, well, nothin g to do with security shutters.

Did you measure up then Mike?

:lol: :lol:

I've only just noticed yours and Athy's post on this delicate subject.

Surely, no man could measure up to what a prostitute has been used to! Although she did suggest that I should give up my day job and take up modelling as a tripod :blink:

I bloody wish :rolleyes:

The antiques shop that was at Venetian Marina (taken over recently by Whilton Marina) is moving to Nantwich Canal Centre. They've not been there long. Don't know the reason but they were probably asked to leave.

That's old news Dave.

Blimey, my jokes are getting worse. :rolleyes:

Edited by Doorman

No. There isn't a chandlery at Venetian. It was all moved to King's Lock. Don't know the circumstances but the former chandlery is now an antiques centre. Poor choice of location in my opinion. Zero passing trade and quite hard to find by road if you are deliberately going there.

Interestingly the Venetian Chandlery is now being marketed by Robertsons

Also interesting that the new owners (Whilton Marina Ltd) are also only offering a three year lease OUTSIDE the Landlord and Tenants Act, so purchasers may well be thrown out after 3 years hard work too . . .

Would you invest in a business with such a high risk factor?

Also interesting that the new owners (Whilton Marina Ltd) are also only offering a three year lease OUTSIDE the Landlord and Tenants Act, so purchasers may well be thrown out after 3 years hard work too . . .

And in my opinion very high rent.

No I wouldn't, but the risk I perceive is different. The new proprietor will be paying a very high rent for a very small retail space as Laurie says, and getting the business up and running from a standing start (with all the stock investment needed) will eat into those three years. During this period, a good part of the marina might be disrupted with building work and half empty of boats while the 're-modelling' takes place, and the three year lease could be nearly up before the new business ever gets to fly.

I'd also want chapter and verse on why the business currently in the premises has decided to bail out.

I'd also want chapter and verse on why the business currently in the premises has decided to bail out.

I don't think you'd need 'chapter and verse' to be honest.

We visited the antiques shop that was occupying the premises in September last year and to be quite frank, it was full of tat. Allowing for the potential customers who are drawn to this type of collectable junk, the location was hardly ideal. Put it in a quaint village with a decent amount of tourist traffic and it may have survived, but not in a canal side premises that enjoys seasonal boat traffic.

I would be more interested to inquire why the previous occupant, failed in his quest to expand the existing chandlery

business at King's Lock by opening the bigger Venetian Chandlery. His discounted offers were widely publicised in the boating press, claiming to be the cheapest on many items.

As I've commented earlier in this thread, his downfall could well have been in trying to run before he could walk. Whilst we were buying a second hand boat from the then Venetian Brokerage, his head appeared to be lodged firmly up his own backside.

By operating a decent chandlery at this location as your sole business and in doing so, concentrating on affording your clientèle products at a fair price, coupled with good after sales service, you could well create some much needed competition for the current providers of canal boat wares in both Middlewich and Nantwich.

Edited by Doorman

We visited the antiques shop that was occupying the premises in September last year and to be quite frank, it was full of tat. Allowing for the potential customers who are drawn to this type of collectable junk, the location was hardly ideal.

PLEASE don't tell MB this. He will buy all of the tat they have to offer, and then put in a back order for more. LOVES tat, does MB. :wacko:

Edited by Starcoaster

PLEASE don't tell MB this. He will buy all of the tat they have to offer, and then put in a back order for more. LOVES tat, does MB. :wacko:

The bote pixies will DEFINITELY come and get you for that! ;)

And anyway, how can one POSSIBLY call anything as beautiful as this, 'tat'????

HOORAY..ah thank you for the info. We need a new cooker and fridge for our new kitchen so we will go along to see Richard this weekend....Sue

The bote pixies will DEFINITELY come and get you for that! ;)

And anyway, how can one POSSIBLY call anything as beautiful as this, 'tat'????

Look, even though I think they're an alarming waste of money, I'll rise above dissing the tat enjun stove fan thingy.

But as for the 'two hour hourglass' (that never measures two hours as the same length of time twice...) and the 'authentically aged fake polystyrene highest quality decorative corbel...' It's open season.

Edited by Starcoaster

Look, even though I think they're an alarming waste of money, I'll rise above dissing the tat enjun stove fan thingy.

The last thing that we bought from the Tat shop was an ashtray for our motorbike! :rolleyes:

1zoc7f5.jpg

We too love boat type memorabilia, but much of what was on offer would simply clutter essential storage space for us liveaboards. If we had owned a cruiser stern narrow boat, I would have been tempted to buy the baby Grand Piano and put it on the stern (as ballast).

Interestingly it says the marina currently has 200 berths but these are going to be reorganised for 150 narrowboats. I wonder if that means you'll be on your way if you are short and plastic.

I have heard a rumour that they are going to replace the existing pontoons with long ones that will have several boats on, so that your berth will be the length of your boat rather than a 60ft or 70ft pontoon. This would still accommodate plastics, but whether they would be a reasonable price is another matter. The only other place in the area for plastics is at Nantwich, but they are pretty well full.

Whilton are supposedly spending up to £500,000 on redoing the marina. Sounds a lot, but I don't think it will go far when it comes to installing electrical and water facilities. There is a relatively small single phase supply to the marina at present, which can barely cope with existing demands.

As for the chandlery, I think the rent will make any chance of a viable business very slim. There are plenty of chandlery suppliers in the area and whilst competition might be good for the consumer, there is a limit to how much business there is in the area.

As for the chandlery, I think the rent will make any chance of a viable business very slim. There are plenty of chandlery suppliers in the area and whilst competition might be good for the consumer, there is a limit to how much business there is in the area.

Two valid points and something that the potential new tenant should consider thoroughly before agreeing to the lease.

• 4 weeks later...

The latest wheeze by the Marina owners is to change the slot for the pump-out so that anyone who bought their pump-out token in advance now has a useless token. Good way to improve customer relations . . .

hmm great we have a couple of the tokens..nice of them.