Observe Strong Flows

system 4-50

Featured Posts

I've only travelled canals, never rivers. What is different?

I've looked at the Boater's Guide for the river Soar and it is full of references to "Observe The Strong Flows Signs". Observe? Just look at them? What is implied here?

I'd like to get to Foxton from Fradley via Trent Lock next year. Any help gratefully received.

I think it means 'pay attention to the warning'

If your engine can't handle strong currents then wait until the warnings are taken down

Does that mean there are suitable mooring points available at the places where the signs are, so that one can wait?

Does that mean there are suitable mooring points available at the places where the signs are, so that one can wait?

The signs are often at the lock which would take you off the canal sections and onto the river. If the flow is strong or water deep STAY on the canal sections until safe. The soar goes up and down like a yo yo and can be one to watch, it has strong currents in flood and I have seen it bad enough to completely put locks underwater.

The signs are often at the lock which would take you off the canal sections and onto the river. If the flow is strong or water deep STAY on the canal sections until safe. The soar goes up and down like a yo yo and can be one to watch, it has strong currents in flood and I have seen it bad enough to completely put locks underwater.

It is rare for the flows on the river sections on the Soar to prevent passage in the Summer months. Even in Winter the river is usually benign. In obvious severe wet weather great caution must be used. Stay put must be the rule. Generally this does not apply very often. Do not be put off the Soar as it is a really nice run from Leicester to the Trent.

I've only travelled canals, never rivers. What is different?

I've looked at the Boater's Guide for the river Soar and it is full of references to "Observe The Strong Flows Signs". Observe? Just look at them? What is implied here?

I'd like to get to Foxton from Fradley via Trent Lock next year. Any help gratefully received.

If your vessel is capable of 4 knots at slack water, you will achieve 4 knots in either direction. However if you are punching an ebb tide of (ie;) 5 knots, you will in affect be going astern at 1 knot. If your course is in the direction of the 'flow' you will achieve (theoretically) 9 knots. You will need a 'Tidal Flow' chart/book, this will show the rate and direction of the flow 6 hours before HW and every hour up to high water, and again for the ebb tide. Used in conjunction with a copy of the 'Tide Tables' (for your area) it's pretty straightforward to plan your trip and take advantage of the 'ebb' and 'flow'.

Albert.

If your vessel is capable of 4 knots at slack water, you will achieve 4 knots in either direction. However if you are punching an ebb tide of (ie;) 5 knots, you will in affect be going astern at 1 knot. If your course is in the direction of the 'flow' you will achieve (theoretically) 9 knots. You will need a 'Tidal Flow' chart/book, this will show the rate and direction of the flow 6 hours before HW and every hour up to high water, and again for the ebb tide. Used in conjunction with a copy of the 'Tide Tables' (for your area) it's pretty straightforward to plan your trip and take advantage of the 'ebb' and 'flow'.

Albert.

However, if the tide comes in as far as the Soar, we are probably all DOOMED anyway, so just watch the weather, and the warning signs.

Although I'm no great expert on the Soar, it is also worth saying that there are some points at which there are very specific tying up places if the level boards indicate it is unwise to proceed.

Having said that, they didn't look like places where I would want to be tied up days on end, (even if safely so!), whilst waiting for levels to drop, so I would say trying to ensure not going on river stretches at all if problems seem likely would often be the better option.

As has been said, though, the Soar is usually very benign, with the river stretches not looking much different from a normal canal most of the time.

I don't know if they have "sorted" it in the last year or so, but when we came down about 3 years ago (I think) there were places where there was a parting of the ways, with no signs as to which was the through route. Without a Nicholson's on the roof, on at least one of those occasions I would probably have gone down the dead end!

I don't know if they have "sorted" it in the last year or so, but when we came down about 3 years ago (I think) there were places where there was a parting of the ways, with no signs as to which was the through route. Without a Nicholson's on the roof, on at least one of those occasions I would probably have gone down the dead end!

They have recently installed these for the hard of hearing Alan....

so you don't have to shout "WATCH OUT FOR THE BLOODY WIER...!" when you have one of those old smelly, noisy enjuns going full pelt.

6488532891_55f33027f3.jpg

The Soar, with its rapidly varying levels, has provided us with plenty of entertainment over the years.

First, hurtling downstream and struggling to find the correct course because the river was over its banks, spotting the balance beams of Sileby Lock just clear of the water and mooring in the lock chamber for 3 days until the level went down

At about the same time the hire-boat with whom we'd shared several locks the day before but was now following an hour behind us, went backwards over Cossington Weir and submarined perfectly; it took them a month to get it back.

The same trip, moored safely for the night in Redhill Lock (which was used as a proper lock then) and being woken by the lock-keeper at 5am to be told we had to go out on to the Trent because they were about to open all the flood gates upriver and we would be swept out by the resultant tidal wave. Just to reassure us he had showed us the Trent the night before, there was 14 feet of water going over Thrumpton Weir; he reminded us to "try and turn left at the junction"

A few years later, discovering too late that they had re-routed the river at one point, and the branch which had led to the lock the time before, now led to the weir - and there were no warning signs or protective booms then !

Just a few years ago, after a very "interesting" exit across the current below Sileby Lock, arriving at Mountsorrel and being given the best official advice that BW has ever given us: "Go into the pub and stay where you are for 3 days"

Luckily it goes down as quickly as it rises, and I believe that every lock has a level indicator below it.

My stomping ground

2 years back we took Dorella out for an overnighter. just to the pub, me SWMBO and a couple of friends.

On the way out, the river was solidly in the green at Thurmaston lock. we pootled down to the Hope and anchor, and had a few sherberts. all seemed fine, and we fell into our bunks.

During the night, there was some rain. Not much locally, but it must have been torrential, both to the North and South.

The next morning we got up, fired up the trusty iron horse, and started to return.

"Somethings wrong" thinks I...... "I have engine revs set for 3 Mph, the log says 3, but I swear we're going faster than that." I fire up the GPS, and we're doing 5 Mph. "5 Mph South, this is weird" (The Soar flows North)

We reach Johnson's bridge, where the canalised section meets the river again, and the full horror of the situation hits me. The Soar's going into flood. it must have come up 2 inches in the 20 minutes it took me to do the canalised section.

Decision time (And bloody fast there's a weir just above Johnson's bridge) can I stop, or not?, No I have 7 Mph to bleed off into reverse, and 20 yards to do it. and I'll be briefly at dead stop right next to a spiteful little weir.

So the taps are turned on, full throttle and into the flow.

Dorella can do about 12 knots at full chat, It's less than a 1/4 of a mile from Johnson's bridge to Thurmaston lock. it took me nearly an hour.

Brown trousers time.

Edited by fuzzyduck

The Soar can be fun - there are indicator boards at locks where you enter a river section. These vary from lock to lock depending on the hazards to navigation in the river to the next lock for instance Mountsorrel appears to be set lower than Sileby because the bridge at the tail of the lock is relatively low. I think Belgrave is the lowest of the Soar marks because Thurcaston Road bridge is very low and there can be a lot of debris caught against it. Having siad that from a navigation point of view the most hazardous point is leaving Barrow Deep lock heading north - the nearby road bridge has a very low sprung navigation arch and you have to enter the river from the lock cut with very little room to get lined up for the bridge. Try this link Bing map image. The lock has simple traffic lights indicating if the river is open or not as has Bishop Meadow where the hazard is the partially protected weirs at Zouch. With the latter there are emergency moorings at Normanton on Soar - lights flash advising you to use them if the flood gates under the road bridge at Zouch are shut preventing access to the lock cut. It is better to try and moor at the Plough than the emergency moorings which have no land access.

My stomping ground

2 years back we took Dorella out for an overnighter. just to the pub, me SWMBO and a couple of friends.

On the way out, the river was solidly in the green at Thurmaston lock. we pootled down to the Hope and anchor, and had a few sherberts. all seemed fine, and we fell into our bunks.

During the night, there was some rain. Not much locally, but it must have been torrential, both to the North and South.

The next morning we got up, fired up the trusty iron horse, and started to return.

"Somethings wrong" thinks I...... "I have engine revs set for 3 Mph, the log says 3, but I swear we're going faster than that." I fire up the GPS, and we're doing 5 Mph. "5 Mph north, this is weird" (The Soar flows south)

We reach Johnson's bridge, where the canalised section meets the river again, and the full horror of the situation hits me. The Soar's going into flood. it must have come up 2 inches in the 20 minutes it took me to do the canalised section.

Decision time (And bloody fast there's a weir just above Johnson's bridge) can I stop, or not?, No I have 7 Mph to bleed off into reverse, and 20 yards to do it. and I'll be briefly at dead stop right next to a spiteful little weir.

So the taps are turned on, full throttle and into the flow.

Dorella can do about 12 knots at full chat, It's less than a 1/4 of a mile from Johnson's bridge to Thurmaston lock. it took me nearly an hour.

Brown trousers time.

My brown trouser event was on the River Don/ South Yorkshire Navigation.

We had just come through the last canal lock around Swindon when the heavens opened. We quickly tied of and ran inside.

The storm was torrential for about half an hour. When it had blown over I went out to untie the boat but the river had risen so much I had real struggle with the ropes.

We set of for the next lock, a massive commercial electric lock onto the canal in Rotherham but by this time the river was raging and the flow had lifted all the trapped debris over the weir above this lock.

There were trees, barrels, tyres, pallets every kind of floating hazard coming down river at speed. You could easily see the current of the river because that's where all the crap was.

I kept away from it as much as possible but had to cross it a few times - holding my breath. We arrived at the lock and found the lock landing was immediately below the weir, not some where I wanted to be. I told my wife she would have to climb the bloody long, high ladder in the lock entrance, she is not happy climbing onto a stool!

So with lots of power and lots of shouting I convinced (?) her to make a grab for the ladder. Obviously she made it, but she was in tears for a while after.

Watch out for them rivers when it rains.

Alex

The Soar can be fun - there are indicator boards at locks where you enter a river section. These vary from lock to lock depending on the hazards to navigation in the river to the next lock for instance Mountsorrel appears to be set lower than Sileby because the bridge at the tail of the lock is relatively low. I think Belgrave is the lowest of the Soar marks because Thurcaston Road bridge is very low and there can be a lot of debris caught against it. Having siad that from a navigation point of view the most hazardous point is leaving Barrow Deep lock heading north - the nearby road bridge has a very low sprung navigation arch and you have to enter the river from the lock cut with very little room to get lined up for the bridge. Try this link Bing map image. The lock has simple traffic lights indicating if the river is open or not as has Bishop Meadow where the hazard is the partially protected weirs at Zouch. With the latter there are emergency moorings at Normanton on Soar - lights flash advising you to use them if the flood gates under the road bridge at Zouch are shut preventing access to the lock cut. It is better to try and moor at the Plough than the emergency moorings which have no land access.

"Somethings wrong" thinks I...... "I have engine revs set for 3 Mph, the log says 3, but I swear we're going faster than that." I fire up the GPS, and we're doing 5 Mph. "5 Mph north, this is weird" (The Soar flows south)

Now my norths & souths aren't that good, but I thought the Soar flows north.

aye, but he's a local,and his plastic says north.....he's probably got some nicked logs trailing behind and his dinghy is being pulled 180 deg by the local millstream.

Edited by matty40s

You're right, and I spent 15 minutes licking the window trying to get that correct. Gah!!!

I've edited my post accordingly

Edited by fuzzyduck

The Soar, with its rapidly varying levels, has provided us with plenty of entertainment over the years.

First, hurtling downstream and struggling to find the correct course because the river was over its banks, spotting the balance beams of Sileby Lock just clear of the water and mooring in the lock chamber for 3 days until the level went down

At about the same time the hire-boat with whom we'd shared several locks the day before but was now following an hour behind us, went backwards over Cossington Weir and submarined perfectly; it took them a month to get it back.

How on earth did it get to cross Cossington Weir? Perhaps the river was deep enough to go over the fields. The is a low towpath bridge which should stop you getting to the weir.

Nick

How on earth did it get to cross Cossington Weir? Perhaps the river was deep enough to go over the fields. The is a low towpath bridge which should stop you getting to the weir.

Nick

They didn't go across the fields, the water at that point wasn't quite deep enough.

We had been overnight at the Hope and Anchor. They reached the "crossroads" above the weir, and the steerer made the novice's mistake of throttling back while in the current. The bows of the boat only just made it to the start of the lock cut. Their son jumped off with the bow rope but couldn't hold it, and the stern of the boat swung round towards the foot bridge.

After that it becomes a bit hazy (I wasn't there myself and the only witnesses were the terrified family on board). The boat was Knapweed (one of Concoform's fleet with a GRP top) and it appears that the whole cabin-top may have been swept off or else just squashed by the bridge. I know they are easily detached; it's just a row of small screws, and my own Harborough boat even detached its own cabin top by just hitting the wall of keadby Lock rather hard.

Apparently there were a couple of BW workboats wedged under the bridge, that had been swept down from further up-river (rumour has it that Knapweed had struck them earlier and snapped their mooring lines) and the rest of the family managed to jump on to them and get to shore, while watching their hireboat disappear down the weir.

The boat was extensively damaged, and I was surprised that Concoform chose to refurbish it and put it back in their fleet again.

• 2 weeks later...

They didn't go across the fields, the water at that point wasn't quite deep enough.

We had been overnight at the Hope and Anchor. They reached the "crossroads" above the weir, and the steerer made the novice's mistake of throttling back while in the current. The bows of the boat only just made it to the start of the lock cut. Their son jumped off with the bow rope but couldn't hold it, and the stern of the boat swung round towards the foot bridge.

After that it becomes a bit hazy (I wasn't there myself and the only witnesses were the terrified family on board). The boat was Knapweed (one of Concoform's fleet with a GRP top) and it appears that the whole cabin-top may have been swept off or else just squashed by the bridge. I know they are easily detached; it's just a row of small screws, and my own Harborough boat even detached its own cabin top by just hitting the wall of keadby Lock rather hard.

Apparently there were a couple of BW workboats wedged under the bridge, that had been swept down from further up-river (rumour has it that Knapweed had struck them earlier and snapped their mooring lines) and the rest of the family managed to jump on to them and get to shore, while watching their hireboat disappear down the weir.

The boat was extensively damaged, and I was surprised that Concoform chose to refurbish it and put it back in their fleet again.

I believe it turned over on to it's side as it hit the weir and stayed there for a good few weeks. I heard the story from the people at Weedon when I moored there. Apparently, the wife of the family involved went temporarily blind through fear as a result of the whole incident. How awful!