How many of you have a fire emergency plan

Rob@BSSOffice

Have you a fire emergency plan for all crew  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Out suggested New year's resolution is to make a fire emergency plan, have you made one that includes everyone aboard

• I have a plan?
    • I have a plan for all people aboard?
    • I have a plan for all abaord that is tested from time to time?
  2. 2. have you a smoke alarm

• I have a smoke alarm
    • I have have a working smoke alarm
    • I tested your alarm this week
  3. 3. Are your escape routes clear and unclutted

• I have an escape rout
    • I have more than one escape route
    • My escape routes are clear for use
    • All exits of my escape routes can be open from inside the boat

Featured Posts

Here’s a quick poll - How many of you good boating people have made a fire emergency plan and does it take account of everyone aboard? See Boat Safety Scheme news

Here are just a few memory joggers :unsure: :-

(does everyone know about it and what to do)

(have you tested it)

(are routes clear)

(can all doors and escape routes be unlocked/opened from the inside)

(have you fitted a smoke alarm)

(is it working)

(are your extinguishers close to escape routes

(are your extinguisher to hand – i.e. not buried in clutter)

(do you know how to use a fire extinguisher)

(have you thought about using your fire blanket as a flame/heat shield if you have to escape)

(do you sleep with a grab bag – is your phone and are all important keys, including the car keys, in there) :help:

We are aware of over one fire a week on inland waterways in the UK, there been eight so far in December 2012 2011 (doh!). One boat fire in Kent this year was fatal.

But here’s the good news – it is highly likely that fire won’t happen to you. However, assume the best, but plan for the worst. Because after all, if it does happen, we want you to still be around to enjoy boating.

Have a safe and jolly Christmas and very happy and healthy New Year

Regards

Rob

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice
  • Greenie 1

Here’s a quick poll - How many of you good boating people have made a fire emergency plan and does it take account of everyone aboard? See Boat Safety Scheme news

Here are just a few memory joggers :unsure: :-

(does everyone know about it and what to do)

(have you tested it)

(are routes clear)

(have you fitted a smoke alarm)

(is it working)

(are your extinguishers close to escape routes

(are your extinguisher to hand – i.e. not buried in clutter)

(do you know how to use a fire extinguisher)

(have you thought about using your fire blanket as a flame/heat shield if you have to escape)

(do you sleep with a grab bag – is your phone and are all important keys, including the car keys, in there) :help:

We are aware of over one fire a week on inland waterways in the UK, there been eight so far in December 2012. One boat fire in Kent this year was fatal.

But here’s the good news – it is highly likely that fire won’t happen to you. However, assume the best, but plan for the worst. Because after all, if it does happen, we want you to still be around to enjoy boating.

Have a safe and jolly Christmas and very happy and healthy New Year

Regards

Rob

Thanks for posting. I can answer yes except for the grab bag which is a good idea.

When we bought our boat one of the first things we got was a smoke alarm. When one of our sons became a firefighter and had to deal with a couple of boat fires he insisted we had THREE smoke alarms. We also have a CO alarm. Good idea about the fire blanket - hadn't thought of that one but I'm pretty sure we are there in the other points you raised.

Happy Christmas all.

Dave

Thanks for that vital reminder Rob.

I suspect that the CCers and liveaboards are much better prepared than us leisure boaters. I tend to have many different crews (family/friends) at different times. I do try to go through the basics before every trip, because crew who have'nt been lately will tend to have forgotten over time.

Don't want it to get like aircraft though, where regular travellers seem to think it clever to ignore the safety instructions.

brian

A grab bag is an excellent idea.

I replaced all my CO2, fire alarms and extinguishers and wrote an escape plan for the BSS inspection so I'm reasonably up to date. I was advised to get a 2kg fire extinguisher for the engine room, which I've done and I also clean the flues once a month.

I had a discussion with Bazza last winter banter when he gently pointed out the problem points. I have been a good boater since then, testing weekly.

I don't feel smug about this - I've seen the Wiltshire Fire Service video of a boat fire when I did my fire awareness safety training at school and nearly gave up living on a boat on the spot.

Edited by wrigglefingers

How many people have their Fire Extinguishers inspected every year and have more than the BSS requirments?

I'm genuinely interested, so do you know exactly what such testing actually entails ?

How does anyone ensure by inspection or any servicing that a powder fire extinguisher will definitely go off and discharge most of its powder if needed ?

(Other than by discharging it, of course!....)

How many people have their Fire Extinguishers inspected every year and have more than the BSS requirments?

Where can I get them inspected? I let a spare one off to test it as three were very old - it worked fine. And an ex-fireman neighbour hasn't condemned them. I don't want to throw away extinguishers, but I did add a new one last year as an addition.

And I have FINALLY got John to put up and put batteries in the various alarms I bought him - I can't understand the stubbornness/apathy on that point. My 2 CO alarms and 2 smoke detectors seem to be testing OK, and the one with a digital display is as close to the fire as convenient, to make sure it catches even any whiff of a fume.

Good reminder though - thanks.

There is a long old thread here about options for old dry powder extinguishers, and whether it is even safe to discharge them.

Cheshire~Rose warned strongly against just doing this because of an incident she knew of an old badly corroded one I think having been let off, and failing causing serious injury.

The interesting issue for me was that our local council tip would not take a powder extinguisher that hadn't been discharged, and there didn't seem to be easy ways of getting shot of them without paying.

In the end, after reassurances about checks to make by trained firefighters, I did discharge them harmlessly, (and was quite impressed that very old extinguishers actually worked entirely as they should have).

So, as a minimum, before discharging anything just to try it out, please read this thread, and make sensible decisions. If the unit is in any way at all damaged, or even slightly corroded anywhere, it seems very sensible not to think about trying. Mine looked immaculate, other than having a date on them not likely to please a BSS examiner, otherwise I would not have done it.

They DO make a bloody awful mess!

We have 3 fire extinguishers placed, kitchen,bedroom,engine room, fire blanket in the kitchen next to the fire extinguisher, smoke alarm in dinette, co2 alarm kitchen. we do not 'lock' our front/back doors when on board in the marina,infact we never lock them when we go out either when in the marina...,when we are out on the cut then unfortunately due to the risk of being robbed whilst in bed asleep we lock them. we have the hatch we can get out of also and have it the pontoon side for ease of getting out.

There is a long old thread here about options for old dry powder extinguishers, and whether it is even safe to discharge them.

Phew - thanks for that link Alan, I was looking at where the discussion was heading on this thread and was dreading having to repeat all that stuff!

If anyone was thinking of letting off an old extinguisher then please do as Alan suggests and have a read and before deciding whether it is safe to do so.

Thanks to Rob for the valuable reminder. Dave and I just ran through it all and were able to tick all the boxes apart from testing the smoke alarm which we will do when we next go to the boat - I realise with the mention of grab bag I ought to move my handbag to the bed end of the boat when we sleep which I do not currently do.

All good reminders, but is the grab bag is any more relevant to people on boats than in houses or flats?

Like many others I live aboard, so I'd have to put those items into the grab bag every time I come home. Not a bad idea I suppose, but how many people do this when they come home to their houses?

Edited by blackrose

Rob,

As others have stated, a super post and 'Aide memoire'

We can tick most of the boxes but one (have no grab bag - - but fully understand the wisdom of one)

Though we are organised by habit - 4 x 1Kg powder extinguishers - checked and gently shaken every 8 weeks) - ditto 1 x 3Kg extinguisher in wheelhouse, 2 x fire blankets (1 in galley, 1 in bedroom)

1 x CO alarm, 1 x ionisation smoke detector, 1 x optical smoke detector) - all checked monthly

Always, but always, run through fire drill with guests when they embark

I have an healthy regard for fire, I've seen both a factory and a boat fire - - I didn't like either

Like many others I live aboard, so I'd have to put those items into the grab bag every time I come home. Not a bad idea I suppose, but how many people do this when they come home to their houses?

When I go to bed I use my phone as an alarm so I guess I could have a bag maybe hung off my curtain pole with spare keys in that I could put my phone in. It just sits on my shelf next to the window other wise.

I had enough of our smoke alarm going off all the time so disconnected it. Those ones with hush buttons sound like just the thing I need.

I do however have a friend who tests fire extinguishers so we have them at regular intervals down the boat. Need to move the one in the corridor though. I'm more likely to break my leg than use one it a fire.

A grab bag? Really?

So you put all of your special belongings in a bag, EVERY night, and presumably remember to keep it by the bed EVERY night? Does anyone really live like this? Really? Should I go to sleep in a hard hat, too, just in case the the roof caves in? And wearing armbands in case the boat sinks?

And can someone explain to me what a "Fire Escape Plan" actually entails? Other than "leave boat in opposite direction to fire". My main bedroom is in the middle, does this mean I need two plans, depending which end the fire is? I also liked the suggestion re: the fire blanket. I keep mine in the kitchen where it is most likely to be needed, but the suggestion to use it as a shield would imply I should take that to bed, too. It would be no use in the kitchen if that's where the fire was. At this rate I'm going to need a bigger bed.

• Greenie 2

Next time you walk past moored boats that are inhabited, note how many rear hatches are padlocked on the out side. With the majority of bedrooms to the rear of side hatches a fire in the kitchen leaves no means of escape.

Eight fires already in December 2012? I am a year behind...

Seriously though, I do give this a lot of thought every night I'm on board. I make sure that the exits are clear and easy to get out of and yes, have a grab bag. And clothes ready to throw on as I leave the boat... really don't fancy standing on the towpath with not a stitch on.

Next time you walk past moored boats that are inhabited, note how many rear hatches are padlocked on the out side. With the majority of bedrooms to the rear of side hatches a fire in the kitchen leaves no means of escape.

Not necessarily. Our rear slide and doors are padlocked from the outside, but you can still get out despite this.

In fact I did just this last year, when my OH mistakenly locked me in!

A grab bag? Really?

So you put all of your special belongings in a bag, EVERY night, and presumably remember to keep it by the bed EVERY night? Does anyone really live like this? Really? Should I go to sleep in a hard hat, too, just in case the the roof caves in? And wearing armbands in case the boat sinks?

And can someone explain to me what a "Fire Escape Plan" actually entails? Other than "leave boat in opposite direction to fire". My main bedroom is in the middle, does this mean I need two plans, depending which end the fire is? I also liked the suggestion re: the fire blanket. I keep mine in the kitchen where it is most likely to be needed, but the suggestion to use it as a shield would imply I should take that to bed, too. It would be no use in the kitchen if that's where the fire was. At this rate I'm going to need a bigger bed.

Well said have a greenie ,At last a voice of reason amongst the doom and gloom merchants,have enough to think about already ,without laying abed worrying if my cunning escape plan would work :cheers:

As for the poll none of your damm business :angry:

14skipper

Edited by 14skipper

Not necessarily. Our rear slide and doors are padlocked from the outside, but you can still get out despite this.

In fact I did just this last year, when my OH mistakenly locked me in!

Agreed, I padlock the stern hatch, but the engine room has two side hatches that can be opened from the inside, I would have to make sure though that I exit on the canal idea as the bank often hinders opening on the tow path side. I never lock the front door using a key.