Boat safety & fuel fillers

DJW

Featured Posts

I'm looking to add a lock to my diesel filler and the easiest way of doing this seems to drill a hole through each side of the 'lip' around the fuel filler and use a long shackle padlock to secure it. The existing arrangement looks like this (taken from BSS manual):

captureyh.jpg

We had our boat safety last year and I seem to remember the examiner checked the lip off as good enough to prevent diesel overspilling into the engine hole.

I've checked the BSS manual which says:

"Fuel overflowing from filling points must be prevented from entering any part of the interior of the vessel. Accordingly, fuel filling points must be positioned so that... a diverter arrangement causes any overflow to discharge overboard"

If there are any BSS examiners out there, my question is if I drill holes part way up the diverter lip, will the boat fail its next BSS? I have seen boats with this setup but want to check before I get the drill out!

Good question and I've been thinking of doing similar.

My filler cap has a flange on the top (sort of reverse to a slot) and I was thinking of a long padlock to go thru' the 'diverter' and through a hole in the flange on the top of the filler cap.

I suppose welding a loop onto the top of the diverter would achieve the same thing - but - I'm better with a drill than a welder.

I too would be interested in the 'official' answer.

Whilst not being an "official response", my view would be that as long as your diverter still retained the ability to divert an accidental spill it would be OK. Of course whatever height the diverter, a big enough spill will overflow back onto the deck and possibly the engine room. However, reg 2.1.1 "Does the location of the fuel filling point ensure that any fuel overflow is prevented from entering the interior of the vessel?" The crucial word any might be the one open to interpretation...

Imagine a fuel filling hose being left in the filler and somehow locked to constantly deliver with the operator not paying attention, when the tank reaches full fuel will be ejected upwards with some pressure and will almost certainly come over the top of the diverter.

Imagine also someone attempting to fill from a jerry can, on a windy day, without a funnel or spout - fuel will almost certainly be spilt, but the diverter will most likely prevent it getting inboard.

Edited by Nose Miner

Interesting point nose miner, that could be quite subjective. As mentioned I have seen this setup before but our diverter is quite low and I guess a higher diverter lip gives more leeway for interpreting that rule.

Any BSS experts care to comment?

I think this is a case where different examiners could take a differing view - unless the BSS office has actually issued them with guidance on the point.

I've not heard of a modified one failing an exam, but I think you might be hard pressed to contest it if a particular examiner said it wasn't satisfactory.

But note anyway the actual stated requirement is.....

Fuel overflowing from filling points must be prevented from enteringany part of the interior of the vessel. Accordingly, fuel filling points must be positioned so that…

the camber or configuration of the deck; or,

the boat’s coaming; or,

a diverter arrangement;

…causes any overflow to discharge overboard.

So depending on your stern type, it could be argued that even if fuel spills through holes in the diverted onto deck or coaming, if it can't actually go in the boat, then it is still OK.

Our boat has no diverter at all, and passes, because any spilt diesel would run off the coamings and or back deck.

While we are talking fuel fillers, the rubber washer on my filler cap has sort of swollen and now is larger then the diameter of the threaded part of the filler cap. When I have filled up I have to make sure I take my time and ease the washer under the sealing flange of the cap using a flat screwdriver to ensure a watertight seal, time consuming and bloody annoying.

Phil

Interesting link ditchcrawler, your memory is better than mine!

Ours is a self draining cruiser stern so even if there were no diverter overflowing diesel would flow overboard and certainly couldn't enter the interior of the boat. Unless that included the engine bay? If it does the self draining deck should still clear the diesel but as ny cruiser stern owner will know, the drainage system isn't foolproof....

I have seen the fuel locks on midland chandlers but would prefer a padlock through the diverter if possible

While we are talking fuel fillers, the rubber washer on my filler cap has sort of swollen and now is larger then the diameter of the threaded part of the filler cap. When I have filled up I have to make sure I take my time and ease the washer under the sealing flange of the cap using a flat screwdriver to ensure a watertight seal, time consuming and bloody annoying.

Phil

Hi

I had the same problem last year but a scrounge around a boat yards stock of bits and pieces found the perfect replacement.

Alex

Phil

They go like that over time, you can get new ones from Midland Chandlers.

Interesting link ditchcrawler, your memory is better than mine!

Ours is a self draining cruiser stern so even if there were no diverter overflowing diesel would flow overboard and certainly couldn't enter the interior of the boat. Unless that included the engine bay? If it does the self draining deck should still clear the diesel but as ny cruiser stern owner will know, the drainage system isn't foolproof....

I have seen the fuel locks on midland chandlers but would prefer a padlock through the diverter if possible

Have sent you a pm, DJW

I'm looking to add a lock to my diesel filler and the easiest way of doing this seems to drill a hole through each side of the 'lip' around the fuel filler and use a long shackle padlock to secure it. The existing arrangement looks like this (taken from BSS manual):

captureyh.jpg

We had our boat safety last year and I seem to remember the examiner checked the lip off as good enough to prevent diesel overspilling into the engine hole.

I've checked the BSS manual which says:

"Fuel overflowing from filling points must be prevented from entering any part of the interior of the vessel. Accordingly, fuel filling points must be positioned so that... a diverter arrangement causes any overflow to discharge overboard"

If there are any BSS examiners out there, my question is if I drill holes part way up the diverter lip, will the boat fail its next BSS? I have seen boats with this setup but want to check before I get the drill out!

I think examiners have had a tech newsletter about breaches of the diverter lip, for securing purposes, and been told to accept it

If Rob M is out there he could check and post.

(sorry Rob)

Paul M

• Greenie 1

I think examiners have had a tech newsletter about breaches of the diverter lip, for securing purposes, and been told to accept it

If Rob M is out there he could check and post.

(sorry Rob)

Paul M

Paul is correct, examiners are briefed on this subject.

Chris P, there are some proprietary arrangements where the filler and vent are in the one fitting.

Regards

Rob

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

Paul is correct, examiners are briefed on this subject.

Rob, just to clarify, when you say examiners have been briefed on holes drilled in the diverter for security purposes, does that mean this is now deemed acceptable for the BSS?

I can't see how it could mean anything else.

Tony

Probably not. Take the case where you are re-fuelling using a funnel or a fuel filler nozzle that form a fairly tight fit in the filler entry pipe.

They can as mine is just that, and my BSC was done on Saturday :)

Thanks for that.

Rob, just to clarify, when you say examiners have been briefed on holes drilled in the diverter for security purposes, does that mean this is now deemed acceptable for the BSS?

This is what is said:

"Various devices are being used to lock fuel filling caps both on petrol and diesel vessels. A number of these solutions involve drilling through the existing diverter system to add extra wires chains etc. The resultant holes, cut-outs etc may allow overflowing fuel to enter the interior of the vessel.

Where an examiner finds such an arrangement he should assure himself that any modifications to the existing diverter arrangement will not let excessive amounts of overflowing fuel to enter into the interior of the vessel. As each arrangement will be unique examiners may have to take into account several different physical requirements of the modifications such as hole diameter, type of fuel in use, location of filling point and practical application.

It is unlikely that arrangements modifying fuel filling point diverters of petrol engine vessels would be compliant, as the risk of any petrol entering the interior of the vessel would be high."

HTH

They can as mine is just that, and my BSC was done on Saturday :)

Indeed so, #16 refers

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

Many thanks for the info, will get on to it straight away. Thanks also Steelaway.

Phil

Many thanks for the info, will get on to it straight away. Thanks also Steelaway.

Phil