Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hello first try a boating holiday then find another canal rather than the K&A to move onto. It is the most crowded on the system. Unless you find a mooring a car and motorbike are liabilities. They are never in the right place. Your boat is your home and your transport.

Sue

Thought I'd better check in on this thread, seeing as I have posted elsewhere now :lol:

I'm Dave, and together with my wife Amanda we have bought a boat (co-financed/owned with my father in Wales who will use it next year during the week when we are working).

Its a 1989 Mayland Safari 21' GRP Cruiser, with a Yammy 9.9hp engine - and it is moored at Sawley Marina.

We have had it a couple of months so far, and aside from occasionally forays (usually demo'ing the boat to friends/family) the few minutes up to Derwent Mount or down to Trent Lock, the only significant cruise so far was when I went with my best mate from school on a week long trip down the Soar and back, stopping at pubs of course. It was fantastic, partly because the river seemed completely devoid of traffic during the week. The same cannot be said of weekends....when the area is crawling with both cruisers and tubes, not to mention the mini regatta of sail boats on the trent!

We are still largely in the 'know nothing' mode and are learning fast. We had a water-intake problem where water was being directed into a side-vent by the fenders and getting into the keel, but that is mainly pumped out now and after checking with the place we bought the boar from, they confirmed we didn't need the vent (must have been erroneously installed to pass a previous BSS), so its now siliconed up and everything seems to be dry.

My biggest problem, if truth be told, is boat handling. And specifically mooring... And even more specifically mooring in the marina berth! I'm sure I will eventually get the hang of it without bumping into things :lol:

I will have lots of questions as we go forward though. I only have a river licence at the moment, figuring we would pay for temporary canal licences on a as-needed basis for the T&M, however after reading many of the posts in the forums, the canals scare me a little. I always thought they were the easier, more convenient and safer option compared to rivers, but reading about nb's smashing into grp boats, wind pinning you to the side and shallow areas restricting you to the centre or you are grounded are a bit perturbing! (I do appreciate all waterways have shallow parts - the wide Trent near Shardow was only 2ft deep the other weekend!).

Anyway, this is just to say hello.....

Edited by Barnfather

Welcome and good luck with the boat handling. You are lucky enough to be moored on a fantastic part of the system and when you have got a little more confident with the handling and capabilities you shall have to come and give us a visit and have a trip on the tidal trent :lol:

Dont be too worried about your apparent lack of handling skills they soon become second nature and you will soon be handling her like you have had her for years. Again good luck and welcome.

And i shal add its good to see another GRP owner onboard. Im sure we must be catching up with the tube owners by now :lol:

Welcome and good luck with the boat handling. You are lucky enough to be moored on a fantastic part of the system and when you have got a little more confident with the handling and capabilities you shall have to come and give us a visit and have a trip on the tidal trent :lol:

Dont be too worried about your apparent lack of handling skills they soon become second nature and you will soon be handling her like you have had her for years. Again good luck and welcome.

And i shal add its good to see another GRP owner onboard. Im sure we must be catching up with the tube owners by now :lol:

Thanks for the welcome, and yes - the Tidal Trent is something I'm sure we will eventually do once our confidence is up!

Really enjoying the whole experience so far (apart from the inevitable drama each time we go out which I'm sure we will learn from), specifically :

- Water streaming in across the cockpit floor near Derwent Mouth (this established our water-intake problem was the vent!)

- Mooring up at Zouch Lock and hearing the boat clank when hitting the curved wall overnight

- Scraping something hard under Top Bridge near Pilings Lock on the Soar (scraped about 6" of anti-foul paint on that side!)

- Losing the bow-rope and panicking that it was going to go in the prop

- Numerous boat handling games at locks and the marina.

It will be great fun though, especially when we get into next spring/summer and the days are longer again.

As for choosing a GRP... It was just a personal taste thing really, as well as budget I guess. Amanda likes both nb's and cruisers but I much prefer the white cruisers. I think its something to do with coveting those GRP super-yacht things you see in exotic marinas... I just always associate a boat with something white and shiny, with a cabin and a pointy front :lol:

We chose Sawley due to the choice of waterways mainly. We actually live in Grantham, so Newark would have been a better choice geographically however we didn't want to be limited to cruising ground and the size of cruisers seem much larger, so we would have felt like being in a goldfish bowl compared to the anonymity of the huge Sawley marina! We had another choice which was Brayford Pool marina - a quite cheap option in comparison, however Sawley is also easy to get to for my dad in Wales, so that nailed it. The fact we bought the boat from Castle Marina enabled us to cruise it to Sawley too, under instruction, which was definately helpful!

One thing I have noticed though, is that there is little coverage of GRPs in magazines. Mag's tend to either focus on nb's or the kind of cruiser I dream about rather than actually own....or sail/motor boats. I'm guessing this may have been a different story years ago when cruisers were more in vogue on the inland waterways, but I'm not sure if you can get back-copies or not...

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome

Thanks for the welcome, and yes - the Tidal Trent is something I'm sure we will eventually do once our confidence is up!

Really enjoying the whole experience so far (apart from the inevitable drama each time we go out which I'm sure we will learn from), specifically :

- Water streaming in across the cockpit floor near Derwent Mouth (this established our water-intake problem was the vent!)

- Mooring up at Zouch Lock and hearing the boat clank when hitting the curved wall overnight

- Scraping something hard under Top Bridge near Pilings Lock on the Soar (scraped about 6" of anti-foul paint on that side!)

- Losing the bow-rope and panicking that it was going to go in the prop

- Numerous boat handling games at locks and the marina.

It will be great fun though, especially when we get into next spring/summer and the days are longer again.

As for choosing a GRP... It was just a personal taste thing really, as well as budget I guess. Amanda likes both nb's and cruisers but I much prefer the white cruisers. I think its something to do with coveting those GRP super-yacht things you see in exotic marinas... I just always associate a boat with something white and shiny, with a cabin and a pointy front :lol:

We chose Sawley due to the choice of waterways mainly. We actually live in Grantham, so Newark would have been a better choice geographically however we didn't want to be limited to cruising ground and the size of cruisers seem much larger, so we would have felt like being in a goldfish bowl compared to the anonymity of the huge Sawley marina! We had another choice which was Brayford Pool marina - a quite cheap option in comparison, however Sawley is also easy to get to for my dad in Wales, so that nailed it. The fact we bought the boat from Castle Marina enabled us to cruise it to Sawley too, under instruction, which was definately helpful!

One thing I have noticed though, is that there is little coverage of GRPs in magazines. Mag's tend to either focus on nb's or the kind of cruiser I dream about rather than actually own....or sail/motor boats. I'm guessing this may have been a different story years ago when cruisers were more in vogue on the inland waterways, but I'm not sure if you can get back-copies or not...

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome

You forgot to look to look at the best marina on the fossdyke :lol: Should have come and seen us at Burton Waters.

Anyway you will soon have the hang of it. And have fun learning. Dont worry about the issues along the way. We have had numerous breakages (mainly nav lights on bridges) We didnt have problems at Zouch though although we moored outside the pub. Didnt like seeing the bottom there.

Anyway good luck and keep us updated with yur progress.

Hello all.

All being well I should be starting a new life afloat in a few weeks time. Personal circumstances dictate a change of accommodation and with much thanks to Bones & Proper Job I am looking forward to picking up a very nice 50ft trad from Braunston shortly.

All I need to happen now are:

• Find a mooring
  • Survey to be OK
  • Find a mooring
  • Insurance agreed
  • Find a mooring
  • Get the money sorted
  • Find a mooring

I wish I'd seen the earlier advice about getting a mooring first!

Cheers!

Hello All

My name is John. I am retiring in 2 years time, and I want to aquire a narrow boat to tour the country in. I am an engineer by trade and a fair carpenter, so not to bad at DIY. I would love to spend my time (and money) restoring an historic workboat. So would like to here from anyone that might have a craft or know of one to contact me. I have spent many hrs reading these forums, what an education :lol:

hi all robbio c here.I have just recently bought a 27ft cruiser and am new to boating but i sure am looking forward to the boating lifestyle.You will here from me again as i am sure i will have plenty of questions to be answered.Thank for reading and will talk soon.

Hello all.

All being well I should be starting a new life afloat in a few weeks time. Personal circumstances dictate a change of accommodation and with much thanks to Bones & Proper Job I am looking forward to picking up a very nice 50ft trad from Braunston shortly.

• Find a mooring
  • Survey to be OK
  • Find a mooring
  • Insurance agreed
  • Find a mooring
  • Get the money sorted
  • Find a mooring

Remember you can moor for free for 2 weeks

Cheers!

Hello all.

• Find a mooring
  • Survey to be OK
  • Find a mooring
  • Insurance agreed
  • Find a mooring
  • Get the money sorted
  • Find a mooring

Cheers!

Good job you've found a mooring now

:lol:

• 1 month later...

Hello there

I'm definately new to boating.... I don't even have a boat yet! But... i want to research as much as i can and hopefully get one by the summer!

I have just joined this forum and have had lots of helpful feedback already, its been great :lol:

Any other feedback, or suggestions are welcome though!!

Will keep you posted with my progress, byee for now, Jenni

Hello!

Just call me Wyn. I live in Pullman, Washington, USA. I discovered canals and narrow boats in October watching Burt Wolfe's Travels & Traditions on PBS. He was on France's Canal du Midi. It was lovely and peaked my curiosity. I began to investigate and discovered the incredible canals of the U.K. and narrow boats, and I've been knocked sideways ever since. :lol:

I am planning an early retirement to the U.K. I am considering selling my home and buying a narrow boat to live on the cut as a single hander captain and crew. It will take me about 6 years to get all my ducks in a row. I cannot believe I've lived fifty years and never heard of this before. I am following the blogs of NB Valerie, No Problem, and Balmaha. Folks have been very helpful and encouraging, and I am seriously grateful.

Edited by Wyn2joy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

My name is Mark and, whilst I've been on holidays on canals and spent a hell of a lot of time screaming at my engine on the Thames (i.e. eight sweating men or women - yes I was a cox for rowing squads, more than a few screws loose, but nothing too dodgy!) I'm new to the whole buying foray. My fiancée recently decided she was better off without me and I've got water in my blood so have decided to seriously consider getting a narrow boat in the Oxford area.

I'm looking to live aboard a c.45-55ft boat but as I work in the Wallingford area, this will most likely need to be on a residential mooring towards Oxford or even onto the southern reaches of the Oxford canal. I'll be throwing my questions out among you more seasoned veterans as there's one or two things I'm still not sure about despite trawling the boards for the last few weeks.

If there's anyone about in this area who fancies meeting for a pint and a chat to chew over the less glittering parts of becoming a full-time live-aboard then please do drop me a message and I'll get the first pint in at the Isis one weekend! I'll be the one standing on the towpath looking at boats going through Iffley lock!!

Thanks everyone,

Mark

Edited by Shasterian Noble

Hi all.

Whilst not exactly new to the forum, i suppose i have been something of a "LURKER" at times afraid to put my head over the paraphet.

This is by far the best forum, with the most knowledge, and the most "characters", and all the better for this.

Ali and I have a build slot booked for autumn 2010,cannot wait. We believe that we have picked one of the most honest shell builders and fitters, and look forward to our future on the cut.

I have hired for over 15 years, and believe i have a good idea of what i want...?

This forum has been invaluable in the advice on all aspects given, and the "characters" (phylis,dave and alan to name but a few") have always added the element of entertainment..

Why am i still undecided in regard to the final spec?

Thats life...

To all newcomers...enjoy. I know i have. Just wish i did not have to work nights and post at silly times.

Brilliant site, full of information.

John.

Shasterian Noble

Welcome, if you can get to the Thrupp area, just outside Oxford, there are many members of this forum 'living' there.

The tea rooms (over the lift bridge) is run by a member, no, sorry not quite right should have said his partner, he is curmudgeonly old sod but his heart is in the right place, so we are told.

Edit: winter opening hours at the moment, Sat/Sun/Mon

johnmck,

We believe that we have picked one of the most honest shell builders and fitters,

I do so hope you are right.

Edited by bottle

Hi all.

Whilst not exactly new to the forum, i suppose i have been something of a "LURKER" at times afraid to put my head over the paraphet.

This is by far the best forum, with the most knowledge, and the most "characters", and all the better for this.

Ali and I have a build slot booked for autumn 2010,cannot wait. We believe that we have picked one of the most honest shell builders and fitters, and look forward to our future on the cut.

I have hired for over 15 years, and believe i have a good idea of what i want...?

This forum has been invaluable in the advice on all aspects given, and the "characters" (phylis,dave and alan to name but a few") have always added the element of entertainment..

Thats life...

To all newcomers...enjoy. I know i have. Just wish i did not have to work nights and post at silly times.

John.

Welcome, a bit belated maybe, to the forum

And thanks (i think) :lol:

Phylis

Hi all.

Thats life...

John.

Hi there John and Ali

We to have a build slot for September and are busy planning our boat at the moment. Our house went on the market this week. Its a very exciting time and we cant wait for March 2011!!

Trude and John

• 1 month later...

Well here goes (GULP) some daunting people on here.

Hello everyone.

I have been reading the forum for a good few months now. My dream is to own my own narrow boat and the missus and I are just about to realise that dream.

I am just at the "looking to buy a boat" stage so it will probably be a while yet before we actually get on to water. I am based in Selby and hope to get moorings at the Selby Boatyard. The Selby canal is a little daunting to a newbie as it doesn't really go anywhere except on to a river at each end. I took my god daughter down to look at the lock that goes on to the Ouse the other day and the river was boiling so its going to be a while before we have the courage to attempt that end. West Haddersly looks a much more inviting prospect to get off the canal.

We are looking at something about 40 foot ready to go although I dont mind doing some cosmetic work inside to stamp my personality on it. We don't intend to live on it as we do have a nice house which I wouldn't want to give up although that might become an option if everything goes pear shaped.

Well that's us for now. I shall keep everyone posted as to what we eventually end up with narrow boat wise.

Pete

Pete

Welcome

Well here goes (GULP) some daunting people on here.

They are just big softie's underneath :lol: but no one will intentionally put you wrong, they just hold strong beliefs.

Thanks Bottle.

Well we are going to look at a narrow boat on Saturday. Looking at the pics that the present owner has sent it looks fantastic inside. The paint work outside is a little faded and has slight water run marks. These are purely cosmetic and shouldn't present any problems. Apparently the boat has been moored up for a while as the lady is not well enough to use it. It will need blacking as that is due now but as the guy who did it the last time is at the Selby Boatyard and I kinda sorta know him I'm going to go down on Friday and have a word with him. That was at the suggestion of the present owner.

When I was at the boat yard last weekend they still had moorings available but did suspect that they would be going when April comes as that is the start of the season. So my idea at the moment is to rent a mooring on a short term basis while I get the boat sorted and then, assuming that it gets through the survey which I am fairly positive it will do, I will ask for a mooring on a yearly basis. I'm not at all sure that this is a good way to go about it but I didn't want to have a mooring initially for a long period in case the sale falls through and I end up paying for a mooring and no boat. Observations on this would be appreciated.

My wife and I have more or less decided that this is the boat we want and, survey permitting, we will buy it. So I hopefully will be on the water by the summer.

Pete

ps How long before I can be considered not to be a noob and post in the big boys forum LOL. Sorry

Oh dear! Was I supposed to introduce myself before I started posting? Sorree!

I'm Mayflower. We're relatively new to boating. Fulfilled a long-held dream and bought a narrowboat, having got too old (and health probs) for some of our previous outdoor activities.

Already learned some boat things the hard way. Trying not to be idiots on the actual cut - been and done the helmsmanship course and can now do narrow bridges without too many scrapes, moor and cast off without too much fuss, reverse into mooring, turn round in my own length etc. Aim is to be as quiet and unobtrusive out there as possible.

I'm not up to engine servicing yet - hence enquiries elsewhere (and previously) on this forum. But practical by nature. Still a bit shocked by the suddenness and severity of the winter we've just had - boat is in a lot colder location (Cheshire) than home is.

Will that do for an introduction?