Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Oh dear! Was I supposed to introduce myself before I started posting? Sorree!

I'm Mayflower. We're relatively new to boating. Fulfilled a long-held dream and bought a narrowboat, having got too old (and health probs) for some of our previous outdoor activities.

Already learned some boat things the hard way. Trying not to be idiots on the actual cut - been and done the helmsmanship course and can now do narrow bridges without too many scrapes, moor and cast off without too much fuss, reverse into mooring, turn round in my own length etc. Aim is to be as quiet and unobtrusive out there as possible.

I'm not up to engine servicing yet - hence enquiries elsewhere (and previously) on this forum. But practical by nature. Still a bit shocked by the suddenness and severity of the winter we've just had - boat is in a lot colder location (Cheshire) than home is.

Will that do for an introduction?

That will do very nicely indeed! And don't worry, there is no proper forum etiquette here about introducing yourself before making postings, I never did.

Perhaps that's where it all went wrong?

Richard

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and keep on bumping into things, we all do that sometimes.

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Duztee,

Today I took that first big step!

Paid a deposit, now it is all down to the survey, fate and a kindly bank manager!

Hope to wave to you soon from my very own deck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, recently developed a huge interest in the canals etc. Hired a dayboat on Monday on the Oxford Canal around Cathiron and loved it, hoping to buy something small now. As much as I would love a narrowboat it's a bit too far out of my price range at the moment....we'll see what the future holds!

Looking round at canal cruisers etc, hoping to get some advice etc from here regarding finding a mooring and what to look for when buying etc.

My friend's dad back where I'm from in Sheffield is also the lock keeper at Tinsley I think, they live in one of the house down Lock House Walk anyways.....

Thanks in advance :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! I'm Stephen from Mickleover, Derby. I've recently decided to join this forum after 'lurking' in the background for a little while.

Both myself and my wife are both in our mid/lete twenties and are just about to embark upon our first day-hire together from Barton marina, but we're both really confident that we will absolutely love the experience although I've had a little waterways experience on the Great Ouse from my childhood days.

Inevitably we'll be looking to purchase a boat somewhere down the line :lol:

If anyone's local (Willington/Stenson/Barton etc) I'd be happy to assist with weekend maintenance etc in return for learning about upkeep etc.

Cheers for now. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

We're going to pay a deposit on a boat tomorrow. After years of dreaming, month of serious searching with a limited budget, we've found our first boat.

We can't wait to be afloat and living our dream. Just . a . few . more . days . now . WOOH WOOOO!!

Be posting again soon with our official boat name once we are the new owners but we do have a nickname lined up for her... D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. which we will have painted as an addition. :lol:

Does anyone here know what D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. means? :lol:

Cheers x

Hi all!

We're going to pay a deposit on a boat tomorrow. After years of dreaming, month of serious searching with a limited budget, we've found our first boat.

We can't wait to be afloat and living our dream. Just . a . few . more . days . now . WOOH WOOOO!!

Be posting again soon with our official boat name once we are the new owners but we do have a nickname lined up for her... D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. which we will have painted as an addition. :lol:

Does anyone here know what D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. means? :lol:

Cheers x

Could it be "Do I look like I give a f***"?

No? Don't know then.

Enjoy your boat and don't moor longer than allowed by the BW and houseowner signs!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

I'm Dave and live 'up north' in Hull. I'm also one of those lucky so and so's who will be able to take early retirement (at 55) in three years time. So I have decided to try and follow a life long dream and spend a few years pootling up and down the waterways of Britain as a 'Liveaboard'.

I know enough to know that a couple of boating holidays on the Broads is very different from living aboard full time. So have been looking for a good forum site to start asking the myriad of questions that I have floating about my head :lol:

Thanks to everybody in advance and I hope that I can eventually contribute something back as I make my journey from being a land-bound house owner to river bound liveaboard.

Dave

Hi Folks

I'm Dave and live 'up north' in Hull. I'm also one of those lucky so and so's who will be able to take early retirement (at 55) in three years time. So I have decided to try and follow a life long dream and spend a few years pootling up and down the waterways of Britain as a 'Liveaboard'.

I know enough to know that a couple of boating holidays on the Broads is very different from living aboard full time. So have been looking for a good forum site to start asking the myriad of questions that I have floating about my head :lol:

Thanks to everybody in advance and I hope that I can eventually contribute something back as I make my journey from being a land-bound house owner to river bound liveaboard.

Dave

Welcome to CWF Dave . . .

and I know just how you feel . . . .

A year or so ago SWMBO and I had a dream - - but it was just a dream . . .

but we've been reading almost every thread available on the Forum - and have learnt loads

We had some good news earlier this year - now we've realised our dream . . .

Bought boat, and are slowly moving our stuff aboard . . and become liveaboards this autumn . . . .

Be patient - learn all you can - it's worth it!!!!!!! :lol:

Hi Folks

Dave

Hi Dave and welcome. This is a brilliant forum and you will pick up more on here about all aspects of canal living than anywhere else.

I see you mention the "golden 55". I to hope to move aboard next year(55) and live not a great distance from you but south of the river. We are the poor relations in our organisation, or so we think.

Enjoy the occasional fireworks. Some real characters here, but also a lot of knowledge.

Cheers

John.

Hallo - I've just bought a 47 foot butty after planning and dreaming for five years. I'll be sorting out moving aboard over the next month-ish. Found lots of answers and help here, even though the search function is very interested in making sure I read broadly on every subject =).

The boat is now between Bristol and Bath, but not sure for how much longer...

Hello, I am Sven and originally Norwegian. Back in my country, my family and I used to have several boats. My father was even a bit of a boat builder.

After having lived in London for a few years, I missed the water and so I started studying the issues of rivers, canals and narrowboats.

Now I am finally taking the plunge: I am in the process of buying a widebeam 57' Liverpool.

As I have no family and no fixed workplace, the plan is to cruise around for at least a year and see how it works for me.

I got plenty questions though. I have noticed all the help given here on the forum and no doubt shall be asking some dumb questions :lol:

All the best,

Sven

Hi guys, my names dwyz.

Ive just bought a 40ft narrowboat that needs a complete refit, which is what I was looking for, a project to get my hands dirty with.

No idea what I am doing, that's why I am here :lol:

Getting hold of her on Sunday.

I'm gonna blog the whole process on my website, link is my signature.

Nice to meet you all :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

hi'a everyone! this is the first chat room i've been on,not to savy on the pooter yet. but hello! this is me, been savin for 6yrs, to buy my liveaboard narrowboat, been a mission, only work in a warehouse so wages not top. my major concern is the headroom, i'm 6.2. and i'm going to have about 6k to spend. and just frm what i've googlrd springers are only 5"11? any other tall people in the same predicament?

hi'a everyone! this is the first chat room i've been on,not to savy on the pooter yet. but hello! this is me, been savin for 6yrs, to buy my liveaboard narrowboat, been a mission, only work in a warehouse so wages not top. my major concern is the headroom, i'm 6.2. and i'm going to have about 6k to spend. and just frm what i've googlrd springers are only 5"11? any other tall people in the same predicament?

Hi Fryinpan, welcome to the mad house, we are a friendly bunch, i promise!!

I am 6'3, and there aren't many boats I can stand up in, keep looking around though, you will come across one with headroom, either with deeper hull or taller cabin, but as long as it is in proportion and budget, then all is good, although you may struggle with 6K. Go for a wander round boatyards and brokerages, as you get to see a few at once, you will get a feel of different builders and styles in a more economical way. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask, there are plenty of people on here with a plethora of useful information, just waiting to pass on!

Another thought is if you are good with DIY and have mechanical experience, look on boatwrecks.com, they sometimes have boats pop up, usually fire damaged but sometimes a bargain can be found, as forum members on here have in the past.

Regards

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, Trace n Paul here,

We have decided it is too expensive living in our rented house in Blackrod, Bolton and have found a 50ft narrowboat as our new home! We are moving in at end of October so are at the beginning our adventure!! We both feel very akin to nature and living in harmony with the earth so the canal lifestyle is already within us. Having already been adopted by quite a few people on the canal where we will be moored and having horses for neighbours too it feels like a very comforable step and am very excited!! There is so much to learn and so much fun to be had, it can't come fast enough!!

Love to everyone

Trace

hullo. im fred (ian).

i keep having these dreams that i want to live a pastoral existence in the sanctity of a narrowboat. to indulge in the solace, travel and observations of both nature and time.

i keep thinking about it, then going back to the rat race, then thinking about it again.

obviously, im back to thinking about it.

i have just about enough to buy a boat and have a job where i can work from a laptop, so i should really do it.

im 40 !!!!!

aieeeeeeeee.........

hullo. im fred (ian).

i keep having these dreams that i want to live a pastoral existence in the sanctity of a narrowboat. to indulge in the solace, travel and observations of both nature and time.

i keep thinking about it, then going back to the rat race, then thinking about it again.

obviously, im back to thinking about it.

i have just about enough to buy a boat and have a job where i can work from a laptop, so i should really do it.

im 40 !!!!!

aieeeeeeeee.........

You Know It Makes Sense.

Hi sam

We are Craig and Diana AKA the linnys, weve been looking into a liveaboard throughout this year as we have both our houses on the market, fortunatly we have movement on both properties and the time is nearing that we shall soon be intensifying our search for the boat that ticks all the boxes. As i said we have viewed and tried several boats throughout this year and narrowed our search to a mere handful of choices, this has been a difficult time as we have a teenage daughter to think about that will be aboard with us and so we have been looking for a permanent bedroom for her as well as ours. On that note i am looking at finding out what is the best solution to have access to the internet on a mobile basis as the marina we have secured a mooring at does'nt have wi-fi. Any suggestions would be great. Looking forward to joining the many happy people onto the canal network. More to follow as i shall post our progress and im sure there will be many more questions to come.

Hello Canal World, :cheers:

My Wife Kath and myself (Andy) have been drawn towards the idea of living on-board for a while now, but haven't seriously followed it up. We've now decided that we'd like to step that up a gear and see if it's something we can really make work for us.

Best wishes and thanks in advance for any help you are able to offer.

Andy & Kath.