Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

One life, live it,...............here here!

Hard as it is to get rid, and rearrange your lives, I doubt you'll regret it, or even remember what you got rid of!!!

Welcome to the forum, enjoy, ingest, and go for it!!! :lol:

Hi my name is Mark, my partner is called Evelyn and we have just bought our first boat.

Just like the majority of people, we wanted to own a narrowboat, but until we can afford one we will make do with our newly accquired cruiser, It is called JonVal at the moment but we shall be renaming her shortly.

We live in Yorkshire and the boat is at Billing in Northants presently. We are undecided as to where we shall be moving her to or indeed whether we should move her.

If anyone has got any suggestions as to where we could moor the boat, preferrably arouind the South/ West Yorkshire areas, then we would be most grateful .

We have thought about the Calder and Hebble Navigation, if anyone has any thoughts please dont be shy.

Thanks

Mark and Evelyn

Hello,

I'm Paul from the North West, and I've just bought my first Narrowboat, and it's occurred to me that I don't really have a clue about what to do next.

I'm going to look over the forum the next couple of days, and then start asking for help!

Hello,

I'm Paul from the North West, and I've just bought my first Narrowboat, and it's occurred to me that I don't really have a clue about what to do next.

I'm going to look over the forum the next couple of days, and then start asking for help!

Welcome Paul.

Start the engine and go for a cruise. :lol:

Welcome Paul.

Start the engine and go for a cruise. :lol:

Hello to all,

Our names are John & Janice we are from South Africa, we have toyed with the idea of going boating for almost 2 years now and sadly with things the way they are back here we have finally made up our minds to do it. (We have some fishing/boating experience of the coast of SA and I have a skippers ticket for 15km off shore) our thoughts were to get a boat which we can live on, our daughter Kate and her partner will be joining us so we will need some space, as will our 2 labbies (that is another story to get them in and through quarantine) We thought we would do the rivers and some coastal hops in Europe and have been looking at Motor Cruisers +- 40 - 50ft, can anyone give us some sound advice as to were to start? we all travel on British passports to visas should not be too much of a probem, however we know the language could be though!! what is the best type of vessle for the adventure we have ahead of us all advice most welcome

Many thanks in anticipation

Cheers

Janice

Hello to all,

Our names are John & Janice we are from South Africa, we have toyed with the idea of going boating for almost 2 years now and sadly with things the way they are back here we have finally made up our minds to do it. (We have some fishing/boating experience of the coast of SA and I have a skippers ticket for 15km off shore) our thoughts were to get a boat which we can live on, our daughter Kate and her partner will be joining us so we will need some space, as will our 2 labbies (that is another story to get them in and through quarantine) We thought we would do the rivers and some coastal hops in Europe and have been looking at Motor Cruisers +- 40 - 50ft, can anyone give us some sound advice as to were to start? we all travel on British passports to visas should not be too much of a probem, however we know the language could be though!! what is the best type of vessle for the adventure we have ahead of us all advice most welcome

Many thanks in anticipation

Cheers

Janice

Hi Janice and welcome to the forum,

Well from the description of your plans you are probably not going to be looking at a native UK inland waterways design and are tiptoeing around the mythical Dutch barge or Replica type market.

You may be able to find a used barge of that nature in the UK or Europe but due to the age of some of these boats you need to take great care and get guidance, the new built modern replicas although very nice looking tend to be very expensive to build.

We build a lot of boats for Europe but do not go down the replica approach preferring to build a more residential style of boat built to suit it's specific cruising area be that purely in the UK, Europe or an hybrid suitable for both.

Something along these line-

38812_1.jpg

There is a bit more info on this type of boat HERE plus a bit of information on cruising in Europe HERE.

You might also find the "diary's" of customers who are cruising France interesting HERE, HERE & HERE.The Canal Boatbuilders Association also publish a free handbook "How to buy a boat for canal and river" you can view it and order a free copy HERE.

Hope this help and good look with your plans.

Edited by Gary Peacock

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Janice and welcome to the forum,

Well from the description of your plans you are probably not going to be looking at a native UK inland waterways design and are tiptoeing around the mythical Dutch barge or Replica type market.

You may be able to find a used barge of that nature in the UK or Europe but due to the age of some of these boats you need to take great care and get guidance, the new built modern replicas although very nice looking tend to be very expensive to build.

We build a lot of boats for Europe but do not go down the replica approach preferring to build a more residential style of boat built to suit it's specific cruising area be that purely in the UK, Europe or an hybrid suitable for both.

Something along these line-

38812_1.jpg

There is a bit more info on this type of boat HERE plus a bit of information on cruising in Europe HERE.

You might also find the "diary's" of customers who are cruising France interesting HERE, HERE & HERE.The Canal Boatbuilders Association also publish a free handbook "How to buy a boat for canal and river" you can view it and order a free copy HERE.

Hope this help and good look with your plans.

Hi Gary,

Thanks your your mail I found it most useful, are you able to tell me how one goes about getting an ICC and have you any idea which countries it is required in? Not sure if you are able to help with this one but if there is anyone out there who can I would be most grateful, we would like to have our 2 labbies travel with us on the boat how do we go about having them travel with us leagally? does the EU pet passport cover them? Is it generally safe on board when you are moored and is it safe to leave the boat and go and buy supplies and visit places of interest or is it advisable to leave someone on board to keep an eye on things? Sorry for the 'silly' questions but I suppose we all have to start somewhere.

Take care

Janice

The ICC is mandatory in France, Germany & Holland at the moment but would probably be helpful to prove competence in other areas too. You can find out a bit more here-

http://www.rya.org.uk/KnowledgeBase/boatin.../Pages/ICC.aspx

In addition to the ICC you will also need to gain a further endorsement The Code Européen des Voies de Navigation Intérieure (CEVNI) - the "highway code" for boating on the canals and rivers of continental Europe. You can have a look at a English version of CEVNI on Colin Stone's site here-

http://www.luxe-motor-kei.co.uk/documents/...20Rev2-2002.pdf

You can take combined courses for both qualifications.

We have just completed a barge for a couple from Sydney and they are taking the course here next week, they also travel on UK passports so that seems to be sufficient but I will check the details with the chap who is running the course for them.

The Labbies once in Europe should be able to travel cross border without problems but bringing them into Europe might be more complicated initially you can find more information here-

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Generally boating in the UK if a bit of common sense is used is safe and secure most reports I have had back from across the channel in France etc suggest it is even better there compared to some areas of the UK.

If you need advice on cruising in France, John and Irene Plunkett have been cruising a barge over a fairly large area for a few years now and would probably be good to speak to, you can look at their website and contact them from here-

http://www.moet-chandon.co.uk/contact.php

Hope that helps a bit more!

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks your your mail I found it most useful, are you able to tell me how one goes about getting an ICC and have you any idea which countries it is required in? Not sure if you are able to help with this one but if there is anyone out there who can I would be most grateful, we would like to have our 2 labbies travel with us on the boat how do we go about having them travel with us leagally? does the EU pet passport cover them? Is it generally safe on board when you are moored and is it safe to leave the boat and go and buy supplies and visit places of interest or is it advisable to leave someone on board to keep an eye on things? Sorry for the 'silly' questions but I suppose we all have to start somewhere.

Take care

Janice

Edited by Gary Peacock

The ICC is mandatory in France, Germany & Holland at the moment but would probably be helpful to prove competence in other areas too. You can find out a bit more here-

http://www.rya.org.uk/KnowledgeBase/boatin.../Pages/ICC.aspx

In addition to the ICC you will also need to gain a further endorsement The Code Européen des Voies de Navigation Intérieure (CEVNI) - the "highway code" for boating on the canals and rivers of continental Europe. You can have a look at a English version of CEVNI on Colin Stone's site here-

http://www.luxe-motor-kei.co.uk/documents/...20Rev2-2002.pdf

You can take combined courses for both qualifications.

We have just completed a barge for a couple from Sydney and they are taking the course here next week, they also travel on UK passports so that seems to be sufficient but I will check the details with the chap who is running the course for them.

The Labbies once in Europe should be able to travel cross border without problems but bringing them into Europe might be more complicated initially you can find more information here-

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Generally boating in the UK if a bit of common sense is used is safe and secure most reports I have had back from across the channel in France etc suggest it is even better there compared to some areas of the UK.

If you need advice on cruising in France, John and Irene Plunkett have been cruising a barge over a fairly large area for a few years now and would probably be good to speak to, you can look at their website and contact them from here-

http://www.moet-chandon.co.uk/contact.php

Hope that helps a bit more!

Cheers

Gary

Dear Gary,

Once again thanks so much for that, I will check the sites out and get back to you, we will definately make arrangements to meet with you to look at the various boat options when we come over to the UK but will let you know well in advance of our travel arrangements.

Cheers

Janice

Hello - this is Sarah and John and we are going to be new to boating soon... we hope...

We have placed an order for a widebeam narrowboat (contradiction in terms?!) and it should be delivered before the end of the year. Very excited about living on a boat and pleased to have found this discussion forum! :lol:

Hello - this is Sarah and John and we are going to be new to boating soon... we hope...

We have placed an order for a widebeam narrowboat (contradiction in terms?!) and it should be delivered before the end of the year. Very excited about living on a boat and pleased to have found this discussion forum! :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

One question: did the builder actually state which year. :lol:

Observation: boat builders have a different calender to the rest of us.

edit: me emticons are not working :lol:

Edited by bottle

Janice, welcome to the forum, If it's not a rude question, what's the budget?

HI there,

It is not rude at all, our budget is between 60 - 100 pounds hopefully this should get us something really nice if I go on what I have seen on the net.

Cheers

Janice

HI there,

It is not rude at all, our budget is between 60 - 100 pounds hopefully this should get us something really nice if I go on what I have seen on the net.

Cheers

Janice

Sorry about that, nice thought at 60 - 100 pounds!!!! it should read 60 - 100 000 pounds

Fair point! Yes - we're discovering the elastic nature of a boatbuilder's calendar :S

Trusting it's this year - but the schedule is starting to slip...

Thanks for the welcome - info on here most useful - glad we're in good company with you peps :lol:

S&J

Welcome to the forum.

One question: did the builder actually state which year. :lol:

Observation: boat builders have a different calender to the rest of us.

edit: me emticons are not working :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm Paul, aged 26. Plan to get a boat in a 2/3 years to make my permanent home! Getting started on my research early as there seems like so much to know!

Will be looking at spending around 50k when I finally get around to it. Just weighing up the pros and cons of new build vs 2nd hand. Have a few questions but hopefully perusing these forums should help :lol:

We're Kay, Paul & Chloe - our daughter. We're new to boating too and have only been live-aboards for a few weeks. This site has been invaluable to us for very fast answers to lots and lots of questions we've had! We've gone over old ground many times I'm sure and we really appreciate people's patience having to re-explain things over and over to new people! I do use the search option as much as I can but its only good for finding certain things.

So HELLO from us lot in rainy Lancashire!

Kay

x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Our names are Liam & Rachael.

After many years of hiring boats on the Norfolk Broads, we have decided to buy our own boat. We have bought a 2003 Sealine S23.

I know it isnt a NB but hey it still floats and we have had much fun in the last month. However, the river witham has taught us a

lesson. After heavy rain on satday we found we couldnt get through Lincoln as the navigation had closed, hence we are now moored further

down river on a BW visitor mooring until the flood water subsides.

;) Hello all, our names are John & Jo [Joan] hence johnjo, [sorry about stating the obvious]. Jo's retired & I'm semi-retired, anyway I'm the grumpy one although I'm told I do have a sense of humour, huh. Jo's the sensible one and keeps an eye on the finances, looks after the two dogs and me. I attempt to do the DIY, mechanics, plumbing and electrics, well I did at home but NB's, blimey, what a difference, taken me three weeks to get my head around those on our NB. We've just bought a 1989 John White 57ft Trad, bit dated inside but comfy, going to try out a Rayburn for the heating, cooking & hot water.

We have a permanent mooring off line in Middlesex and the idea is to take some long leisurely cruises, no rush and no particular direction in mind we'll just see where we end up and who we meet. Done a bit in the past with hire boats but that's it, and I know, it's very different, we have to pay for ALL the problems and maintenance, but, but, yes big buts [no not mine] no rush to get it back on time, great.

My philosophy is to always think of the 'consequences' of my actions, and how would I feel if!!!!!!. That doesn't mean I'm perfect, far from it, but it does help. :lol:

Great forum, seems some use it like kids squabbling in the playground but hey, that makes it colourful and has given me many a laugh as they get verbally stuck into each other, just a shame when it gets offensive. Can't believe how up-tight some people get over job titles and spelink erars.

I think the old addage 'You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time' transposes nicely regarding advice given on this forum into, 'Some of us are right some of the time, but not all of us are right all of the time', so regardless as to whether advice given is right or wrong, so long as there was no malice or mischief intended it should be welcome and it's only sensible that those seeking it make a judgement as to its validity and whether in doubt or not should always seek a second opinion and

http://www.canalboat.co.uk/on-the-water/as...-question-forum

is perfect for such a confirmation. [hope that's OK moderators] :lol:

Well that's what I feel and if I've got the intension of this forum wrong I'm sure someone will let me know, please.

Good luck and happy boating to everyone, regardless of whether you are a CC, leisure or live-aboard or whatever.

Best wishes and regards

John & Jo, Ben & Charlie. ;)

Edited to say, Sorry, just realised how long this is, oh well told you I wasn't perfect.

:lol: Not sure this is the right place for this :lol:

Edited by johnjo

Hi everyone. What a friendly, interesting forum this is.

We're new to boating; have had lots of holidays in the past, but next year are planning to buy our own narrowboat. Can't wait! Will have to though as both of us are still working.

As time goes on we will have lots of questions, so please bear with us newbies.

At the moment could do with some advice on the best waterways guides i.e Pearsons, etc. We've been promised some as a Christmas present.

Hello Waterbabe and welcome to the Forum.

This very question was asked quite recently, so try reading this thread then come back to us with any questions that you may have. You'll find that for every question you ask, you'll get at least two conflicting answers (and sometimes from the same person) but hey, that's what makes it interesting.