Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is John and i live in Essex, i don't own a boat yet, although i'm looking for a narrowboat. I want to live aboard and cruise for about a year before i decide on the best place to get a mooring.

I've always wanted to live on water and after the break up of a thirty years long relationship and the sale of our home, this seems to be the best time to do it.

I'm pleased that I've found this site which is chock full of useful info, so thanks to all of you for contributing and making this process a whole lot easier for a newbie like me.

I hope to speak with as many of you as I can and meet you on the waterways,

in passing rather than in collision!. :lol:

Hi every one we are new to boating, my partner is Alan & im Shirleyann.

We have a Fairline cruiser a small boat. We have to fix it up before we can use it, we are hoping to be out on the canals by summer.

At the moment we are sorting our home out as we are going to sell, then by a wide beam or dutch barge (hopefully) so, another year or more depending on the market. We have been pondering over this for quite some time, we havnt been able to but 3yrs on now is our chance.

It is going to be a shock I imagine, down sizing from a large 3 bedroomed home to a 57ft

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Peeps

Edited by Peeps

Welcome to the Forum Peeps. Keep us informed (and entertained) with lots of stories and pictures while you fix up the boat, so we'll know who to look out for when you get on the canals.

Yes it will be a shock downsizing. A friend of mine did it by renting a storage room from Big Yellow, then moving aboard the boat. Gradually, things she really needed found their way from the lockup to the boat; things she'd thought she needed on the boat but didn't, found their way towards the lockup. When the 12 months was up, she got a house-clearance company to take the entire contents of the lockup away (so she didn't have to wwatch it go).

Hey Peeps!

Just met you in the chatroom. Downsizing - you have to be so ruthless with the clutter - the local charity shops love us!

Good luck - keep us informed

Ange

x

PS think about renting out rather than selling

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi everyone, moved onto our boat July 2008. sold the house at the right time and have taken the plunge. Complete newbies, and have found this forum fantastic. so much information. I am a student nurse in my final year, and it has been very hard. am based at southampton university. so lots of travelling from leicester until i qualify in September.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

What a relief to have found this forum! We're late 20s/early 30s Londoners and at the early stages of all the research (!) and hoping to get afloat early 2009.

It's all very daunting but everyone here seems to have such a can-do attitude to it all - I'm looking forward to getting to know you and hopefully picking your brains! (I promise that in a few years' time when I've figured it all out I'll still be around helping the newbies :lol: )

Deks (AKA Lucy) xx

Well we've done it now! Mooring found (subject to paperwork and payment etc), now we just need a boat!

I feel a bit like I've just jumped off a cliff with my eyes shut, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Nice to be back in the fold :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

We have just bought a 57ft narrowboat today- very excited. It was bought as a sailaway by the previous owner who due to a serious illness wasn't able to finish the project. We have a very nice boat with a lot of things left to do so we can put our own "stamp" on it.

Cheriton

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there everyone,

It’s great to be here.

I am a very new to boating, I have always wanted to try a canal holiday and this year we have booked to navigate the Llangollen canal from whitchuch, I have allowed seven days for the return trip, my kids and wife cant wait.

I have noticed from a previous post - mention to the fact that you have to book a lock, is this correct, if so do you have to book all locks or just certain ones?

I have booked the holiday through "UK Boat Hire" (Waterway holidays), they seem to be quite good, can any one suggest the best book and maps to purchase to help me plan out the trip.

I am going in August, I suppose that would be peak season, I would welcome any tips and suggestions.

All the best

Anthony and Family

Edited by NB Alnwick
to remove echo

Hello everyone

My name is Simon and I'm new to boating.

Does anyone have contact details for Horsenden hill moorings? All contact details I've found online seem dead.. Have they closed shop?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Edited by simonsayssaysimon

Hi all

I am feeling a bit of a fraud, I registered with the intention of lurking and learning.

I do not have a boat!

I am building up to it slowly, I started watching "Narrowboat" on TV, then moved upto "Narrowboat afloat" I can now manage "Locks and Quays" and feel ready for "Waterworld"

Narrow boating is something that I have wanted for a long time, I would happily consider packing it all in and moving onto a live aboard but my family (one a teenager) will not even try a narrow boat for a holiday. My long term aim is to get them on a day trip or similar and hope that a least my wife likes narrowboating and we can include it in my retirement plans when said teenager has moved on.

In the meantime I watch the narrowboats at papermill lock and dream, I also run their web site

I suppose that while I am admitting things I should say I have never even been in a moving narrowboat.

Oh well, back to lurking....

Edited by baggy

Mark (Baggy)

Welcome

Ownership of a boat is not necessary :lol: you're involved with boating and canals.

The forum is 'Canal World' and you are in it.

ps: been here four years and only just getting a boat.

Hi Kieth

Welcome

Ownership of a boat is not necessary :lol: you're involved with boating and canals.

The forum is 'Canal World' and you are in it.

Thanks for the welcome, I suppose you are right :lol:

ps: been here four years and only just getting a boat.

Blimey... a patient man.

Hi Alan

You're not the only person on here without a boat - although I have at least been on a moving one!

I have seen a moving NB

Enjoy the banter and you'll learn plenty!

I can't believe how much I have read here in the last couple of days, so many posts... so little time

Hi Just started boating and found this site by accident about 10 minutes ago.

I'm 55 - semi retired and have a 22' Teal GRP 2 berth cruiser berthed at Boroughbridge. Seems a nice cheap and cheerful starter boat to see how we get on. Have been out twice and today we attempted our first lock! Thank goodness there was no one around to see our initial floundering!! But we got a little better on the return run. I hadn't realised how deep some of them can be.

Jez

I'm 55 - semi retired and have a 22' Teal GRP 2 berth cruiser berthed at Boroughbridge. Seems a nice cheap and cheerful starter boat to see how we get on. Have been out twice and today we attempted our first lock! Thank goodness there was no one around to see our initial floundering!! But we got a little better on the return run. I hadn't realised how deep some of them can be.

Jez

Deep ya say? :lol:

ardnacrusha.jpg

Deepest locks link: http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/locks.htm

Oh and welcome to this wonderful life of boating...

Edited by Robbo

• 2 weeks later...

Jez

We only just missed your first attempt :lol:

Hi , my name is Ian Munro and i live in South Wales. ( 10 mins ) from Brecon canal. I am new to boating so much so that i haven't got a boat yet but i am looking. :lol:

I am 36yr old and i am married to Jayne with a 15yr old girl Abigail.

I have finally got 15k together after a long wait to get a boat so i realise its a minefield for me ahead.

My first intention is to get a mooring on the Brecon & Mon canal asap.

I hope i can rattle your brains in the future about everything lol.

Best Regards

Ian

A bit late considering I've already started a thread, but I'm a newbie who's looking to purcase his first boat. I imagine I'll be hanging around for a while :lol:

hi

im going on hol on ashby canal for the first time in june :lol:

i have exp on the norfolk broads, but this i know is going to be a new exp for me.

im mainly going on a boat purley for the fishing.... so where's best to go?

also we r taking the wife dad, thats fine but he is gluten free (not allowed wheat in food) :lol: , does anyone know any pubs etc where i can get in contact (in advanced) to try and get food cantor'd for him (day/lunch time). why? coz i want to find quite moorings/remote places so i can get some night fishing in (anyadvice greatly recevied!!! :lol: )

we rnt planning on going too far (but they would like to do a lock) just to relax and enjoy.

(maybe i should post a topic on the forum :lol: )

thanks

hi

im going on hol on ashby canal for the first time in june :lol:

i have exp on the norfolk broads, but this i know is going to be a new exp for me.

im mainly going on a boat purley for the fishing.... so where's best to go?

also we r taking the wife dad, thats fine but he is gluten free (not allowed wheat in food) :lol: , does anyone know any pubs etc where i can get in contact (in advanced) to try and get food cantor'd for him (day/lunch time). why? coz i want to find quite moorings/remote places so i can get some night fishing in (anyadvice greatly recevied!!! :lol: )

we rnt planning on going too far (but they would like to do a lock) just to relax and enjoy.

(maybe i should post a topic on the forum :lol: )

thanks

Most pubs will have gluten free on the menu. Think steak & chips or veg

Sue

Hello, I am Mark and am just in the "reading as much as possible" stage at the moment. Currently living in Spain but selling up to move back to the UK and buy a narrowboat to live aboard, mainly to try and get some peace and quiet and live in the slow lane for a while. I am looking at getting a 60ft narrow boat as I understand some of the canals further up north have locks that wont take a 70ft? I want to be able to explore every single inch of the canals. If I could move back tomorrow and buy one I would! Anyone want to swap for an apartment on costa del sol? lol